Petition to Free Jailed League of Legends Player Reaches 100,000 Sigs

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Flatfrog said:
Jamieson 90 said:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin.
Ooh goody, an opportunity to post this:

[http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=3005]
The wording is in essential liberty, i,e, there has to be a balance and a measured and appropriate response to the threat, for example more people die from guns, car accidents and smoking than people do from Terrorism, and a more effective way of reducing the threat of terrorism would be a foreign policy that takes it into account, rather than us all quickly speeding towards what may very well be something similar to 1984.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Father Time said:
bdcjacko said:
Father Time said:
bdcjacko said:
Father Time said:
It is not comparable to a bomb threat, nobody shoots up schools and then tears out their still beating hearts.
Someone messed up in the head would. I don't know what you don't understand about how threatening schools is not funny.
To me it's so obviously sarcastic that you can take it as a joke.
Well glancing at your forum health meter shows how much you obviously understand what the majority of people find funny.
The vast majority of the people in this very thread think it's sarcastic and if that's not enough we can make a new thread with a poll.

I'd propose a bet on the results but I'm not sure if gambling is allowed here.
The vast majority of the people in this thread are not an accurate sampling of he average American. So your poll is moot.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The stupid hurts mah braenz! 'Merica ladies and gentlemen! Land of The Free! Except lol jk not really >.<

I don't even get why people are saying he should get a fine or something instead. When was making a really bad sarcastic joke on Facebook a crime in any stretch of the imagination? Yeah I get that people are fucking crazy paranoid about school shootings over there sadly enough but the guy has no guns in the house for one. How old is he again? Who took this anywhere near seriously? Eating hearts isn't the biggest giveaway that it's a joke for you?

It's especially nonsensical for me over across the pond because making sarcastic quips and ripping the living piss out of other people (and ourselves) is a national pastime over in the UK...

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Father Time said:
bdcjacko said:
Father Time said:
bdcjacko said:
Father Time said:
bdcjacko said:
Father Time said:
It is not comparable to a bomb threat, nobody shoots up schools and then tears out their still beating hearts.
Someone messed up in the head would. I don't know what you don't understand about how threatening schools is not funny.
To me it's so obviously sarcastic that you can take it as a joke.
Well glancing at your forum health meter shows how much you obviously understand what the majority of people find funny.
The vast majority of the people in this very thread think it's sarcastic and if that's not enough we can make a new thread with a poll.

I'd propose a bet on the results but I'm not sure if gambling is allowed here.
The vast majority of the people in this thread are not an accurate sampling of he average American. So your poll is moot.
Well then that also means you can't use my forum health meter.

Besides telling offensive jokes isn't the only way to get moderation here. Just directly insult people
I can use your forum health meter to judge your attitude, it is a direct 1 to 1. The forum demographics on the other hand do not reflect to the American or Texan demographics, so they can not be compared.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
EIGHT YEARS!?!? Shit, I've seen people get sent down for less for proven rape!

What he did was stupid, and why did someone accuse him of being "wrong in the head"? What did he do to get that reaction?
I see no reason why they're still holding him if they found absolutely no weapons. My only idea is that because they've fucked him up pretty badly he might actually go get a gun and shoot up a school when he gets released.

He deserved a slap on the wrist at most and a "don't make stupid jokes in light of recent events" telling off and I understand them searching his house but retaining him after they haven't found anything is ridiculous. I thought America lived by "Innocent until proven guilty"?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Good luck USA. If your country keeps going in the direction it's heading now, you'll have a worse human rights record than places like North Korea. It wont happen over night, but give it 30 years of increased surveillance, phone and internet tapping and imprisonment for the slightest comment and you'll all be totally fucked. You're only a few steps away from being arrested for making anti-government comments. Believe me, I have lived in such countries and you really are that close.
Good luck.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Li Mu said:
Good luck USA. If your country keeps going in the direction it's heading now, you'll have a worse human rights record than places like North Korea. It wont happen over night, but give it 30 years of increased surveillance, phone and internet tapping and imprisonment for the slightest comment and you'll all be totally fucked. You're only a few steps away from being arrested for making anti-government comments. Believe me, I have lived in such countries and you really are that close.
Good luck.
Internet tapping? The US government didn't tap this kids internets, it was some Canadian lady.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Father Time said:
chikusho said:
'Murica, Land of the Free my ass.

This is is rapidly turning into something reminiscent of the Salem witch trials.

There is no longer such a thing as "innocent until proven guilty".
A. This is a couple counties in Texas not the federal government.
B. The kid has not had a trial yet. In the U.S. if you don't pay bail you stay in jail until the trial. It's very possible he'll be found innocent when he gets a trial.
Yes, keep telling yourself that A: a couple of counties in Texas are the only places where these practices occur (as if that would have made things even remotely better), that B: considering the circumstances, setting a bail for $250.000 is a just and reasonable decision.
And this is not even considering how no arrest should have been made in the first place, as there is no evidence of any kind of crime.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
bdcjacko said:
Internet tapping? The US government didn't tap this kids internets, it was some Canadian lady.
I guess you've missed the fact that the US government have been trying to tap _all of the internet_?

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
bdcjacko said:
No one tapped anyone. He posted it on facebook. Equivalent of writing it on the wall of YOUR house, your t-shirt or submitting an ad to a newspaper, with contact info.
8 years is too much. A fine and lots of hours of community service would've been enough.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
bdcjacko said:
Li Mu said:
Good luck.
You haven't been keeping up with the news, have you.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
GladiatorUA said:
bdcjacko said:
No one tapped anyone. He posted it on facebook. Equivalent of writing it on the wall of YOUR house, your t-shirt or submitting an ad to a newspaper, with contact info.
8 years is too much. A fine and lots of hours of community service would've been enough.
That was pretty much my point...about the Canadian lady calling the authorities.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Li Mu said:
bdcjacko said:
Li Mu said:
Good luck.
You haven't been keeping up with the news, have you.
No, I have been. I also am not trying to connect the dots that are in two different books and one is actually a period.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I'm with Penny Arcade on this one, if people had heard half the shit I said (always in misguided jest) when I was that kids age, I'd be in jail for the rest of my life. What he did was really stupid, but guess what? Kids are idiots, they do shit like this all the time, that doesn't mean we ruin their lives for it.

Intent is all that ever matters, and it should have been blatantly obvious to everyone that this dipshit had no intention of doing what he said.

The thing that really irks me is that I guarantee you, for every kid who says something dumb like this on Facebook and gets Team America: World Police kicking their door in, there are a hundred others who say stuff just like it, or worse, in real life without repercussions just because they're lucky enough to not be overheard by a kneejerk reactionist.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
I'm actually shocked by all the people saying they're on the fence, saying that he somewhat deserved it.

Shocked and frankly disgusted.