Petitioners Call for Continued Crysis PC Exclusivity

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Just to show a little from the "petitioners side of the story".

PC game gets gimped due to console limits. [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54778]

People like Sid Meier do it right, he makes Civ IV first, then Civ Rev on consoles. If the petitioners want reasonable demands then maybe "timed exclusivity" is a better offer, but if I was crytek, I'd tell them to **** off if they didn't want me to expand my market.

Mar 26, 2008
1877 signatures eh? I'm sure they can really take that to the bank.

I think the best solution in this regard, as suggested above, is to have the "souped up" PC version released first and then have a version for the 360/PS3 that is optimized for those systems.

Developers love consoles because they are guaranteed a decent sized target audience and each console is identical to the next. Unlike PCs where specs change from machine to machine, it's not like trying to hit a moving target. However if you are a developer interested in squeezing the most out of the latest technology (as Crytek appear to be) the PC is the way to go. Why not have the best of both worlds? In the end you have to stay in business.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Oooooookay. Didn't know this was as big as an iD release. When you pretty much established the genre like Doom has you could expect a large turnover. After which the ideas were thoroughly milked.

I never picked up Crysis, doubt I could run it at a pleasing rate anyway. Didn't think it was anything too special going on general statements at the time. Being released by EA is less promising nowadays for PC titles, for as soon as it goes up it will be immediately shot down by anti-DRM trollers.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Well deadlyyellow you are kind of on the right track. Crytek is mainly in charge of Crysis, EA is just publishing, but they don't really seem to have much restraint on Crytek, seeing as that they released their games on Steam (which EA will only seem to let D2D and...themselves...release Digital Distribution copies) - and I don't think there is any Draco DRM on the game either. Also, looks can be decieving so go to http://www.srtest.com and see if you have a chance with Crysis. If you pass the minimum you can usually run the recommended, but make sure to read the details.

(btw, id never used a capital D)

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
KSarty post=7.71664.733273 said:
Aardvark Soup post=7.71664.733217 said:
Oh no, what a disaster! A game is not going to be released solely on your platform, now other people without the NASA supercomputers required to run this game have a chance to enjoy it as well. Those people shouldn't have fun!

In other words: this is nothing more than stupid fanboyism.
How does everyone still believe that you need a "NASA supercomputer" to run Crysis, that was all media hype. When I bought Crysis I had 2 year old hardware and I could run everything on high settings at 1920x1200 resolution.
My friend is running crysis on high with an eight year old CPU

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I have to say after reading the recent review in Total PC gaming mag, they do say that Crysis Warhead is FAR more scalable and runs well on a middling PC system, but can still strain a real high end machine if you want to push every setting to the max.

I can't say I'm a fan of exclusives either, as I'm looking forward to GTA4 for the PC right now!

Surely so long as it's made well for each system, (And there is the real problem, shoddy ports) where's the harm in them making some extra cash?

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
KSarty post=7.71664.733273 said:
Aardvark Soup post=7.71664.733217 said:
Oh no, what a disaster! A game is not going to be released solely on your platform, now other people without the NASA supercomputers required to run this game have a chance to enjoy it as well. Those people shouldn't have fun!

In other words: this is nothing more than stupid fanboyism.
How does everyone still believe that you need a "NASA supercomputer" to run Crysis, that was all media hype. When I bought Crysis I had 2 year old hardware and I could run everything on high settings at 1920x1200 resolution.
It doesn't matter who's computer your game will run on if nobody thinks it will run on theirs. The perception about the game was that it won't run on any normal computer because that's what everyone kept saying. A lot of us didn't bother to check the system requirements. In the spirit of fairness I have just checked them and it looks like my computer makes all minimum requirements except that my video card isn't quite good enough. The same is true of the recommended requirements. Fascinating. Their marketing screwed up bad.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Heh, I just realized, they're basically signing a petition that tells Crytech that they'll buy their game.

Since when does buying a game that a developer wants you to buy prevent a developer from going multiplatform?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Its interesting, I just bought Crysis, played a bit, gameplay seems solid and enjoyable, and I haven't been this amazed at leaps forward in graphics since the first Half Life 2 videos came out. Now I just barely bought a new computer, and can have it on medium, but I know for a fact that I could use more RAM. Looking at the system requirements, I realize that my old computer, around 6 years old, could play Crysis. I'm sure it would be on low, but isn't low on a extremely pretty game as good if not better then ultra high on a less pretty game? Chances are if you are thinking of buying Crysis, and are getting into a discussion about how high the requirements are, you already have a rig that can play it. I think most people are just to OCD about not being able to crank it all the way up to max. I think accusing Crysis of being to difficult to play doesn't have much steam to it...

Lets look at the minimum requirements...A decent single-core processor. A mere gig of RAM. One of the better video cards from last generation. Sure, its more then most games, but its not terribly restrictive.

Jul 8, 2008
Almost 2000 signatures now? Yeah, that'll show Crytek and EA that Crysis needs to stay on the PC. And while do agree that Crysis should probably stay on the PC, as a multi-platform gamers I would like to see it on a console.