PG-13 Rating For Max Payne, Extended DVD Release On The Way

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PG-13 Rating For Max Payne, Extended DVD Release On The Way

The upcoming Motion Picture Association of America [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467197/], despite earlier rumblings that it was headed for the dreaded R.

The movie originally looked set for a Restricted rating from the MPAA, but after some GameDaily [http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/09/06/max-payne-movie-director-upset-with-possible-r-rating/], "We trimmed some frames more for the sake of trimming frames than anything, but we got the rating without any major changes at all. I'm a little surprised that we changed their minds, effectively, but I'm happy about it."

He's also happy about the final result, calling Max Payne "as effective a videogame movie [as] you're ever going to see," and describing it as "the real Max Payne, not some tricked-out, watered-down, family-friendly version." And naturally, while nothing has been confirmed yet, Moore said a sequel is a distinct possibility. "I think in the movie there are enough loose ends to maybe make Max realize that it's not all over," he said. "That he didn't quite get 100 percent justice."

Moore also revealed that the movie will be released in an extended DVD cut following its theatrical run. "There's what I call the Gamer Dedicated Cut of the movie," he said. "It's a little slower and a little more atmospheric. There are some rougher edges on it, but it's not going to be a bloodfest. I want this to be the Max Payne that I set out to shoot. It's not that I wanted to release one version in the theaters and make a cheap buck by following up with a blood-drenched DVD version. The movie you see in the theaters will be an intense experience and the movie you see on DVD will be as intense an experience with some extra sensibilities for people who really adore the game."

Setting aside for the moment the obvious questions raised about lobbying for - and getting, with no uproar - a PG-13 rating for a movie based on an M (Mature) rated videogame, promoting a DVD release of the movie that's the version the director "set out to shoot" doesn't exactly encourage me to shell out 11 bucks to see the thing at the theater. I suddenly find myself thinking that for a few dollars more, I can own the "better" version of the movie and watch it whenever I want, in the comfort of my own home. Moore may not consider it a "cheap buck," but I fail to see how he's doing himself or his film any favors by essentially admitting that the version on the big screen isn't really the movie he wanted to make.

listerofsmeg

Aug 20, 2008
Sounds like very little was changed though. Still seeing this at the theater. If it's good, I love helping out domestic box office takes for films that deserve it.

I mean, Live Free and Die Hard was PG-13 and it still kicked all sorts of ass, so...

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I hate when people edit their stuff for the sake of a rating...

...And that DVD comment surely didn't do him any favors...

I might go see it in the movie anyways, pending on my availability at the time, I really wanna see what they've done with it, the original Max Payne had one of my favorite stories ever.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Caliostro post=7.72514.763285 said:
I hate when people edit their stuff for the sake of a rating...
I think a lot of that is out of the director's hands.

I'm disappointed that the movie he set out to shoot isn't what we will see in theater, but movies are still in the business of making money.

I'll hold off further judgment until I can see both cuts of the film.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
It seemed to me that his comment, "I want this to be the Max Payne that I set out to shoot," was more to negate whether he was falling into the too-common practice of beefing up violence/nudity on Extended Cut/Uncensored DVD releases just to sell some more DVDs. Especially when the result is a poorer film. I don't think it was an exclusionary statement like, "I want THIS [DVD] to be the Max Payne..." He just wants to preserve his original vision rather than destroy it with sensationalist augmentations (ooh big words).

Plus, his take on the added content seems to be expanding on the experience for big fans, which may not necessarily improve the movie itself. For the big fans, they'll probably love to see some more elements akin to the game, but it might be superfluous in terms of the scope of the film.

Go see it in theaters, but bring your own popcorn.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I was right.

That's because the Twentieth Century Fox production is trying to get a PG-13 rating for the ultra-violent film. - http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/09/06/max-payne-movie-director-upset-with-possible-r-rating/
From the comments made at the end though it seems he set out or he was forced by the production company to make the movie PG-13. The MPAA said the movie "felt" like R.

2ndclasscitizen

Feb 22, 2008
TheWickerPopstar post=7.72514.763656 said:
For the big fans, they'll probably love to see some more elements akin to the game, but it might be superfluous in terms of the scope of the film.
Bingo. What would have give it a higher rating would be making it a bloodbath, with is not needed in movie adaption.

LyonLee

Aug 30, 2007
There are three levels of how good a movie is: see it in a theater, get the DVD, or wait for it to be on TV.... I think I'll be waiting for HBO. Anyone looking forward to this movie is without a doubt an extreme optimist. How many bad movies based on games have appeared? (I think the key word is based.) I think it's like looking at the glass and saying, "It's not half-full, it's about to overflow!"