Physicist Definitively Rules Time Travel Impossible

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
I still like Hawking's explanation of this. "if time travel is real, where are all the time travelers?"

more poignantly, if time travel is real, why did Hitler not get mysteriously assassinated at art school?

unless....time traveling nazis! *gasp*

Chills41

Mar 15, 2011
Every time someone uses their loose interpretation of an obscure scientific theory which has no relevance to the point they're trying make, a fairy dies...

Finally, a thread that has an actual scientist backing it up. :)

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Doesn't know very much does he.

Who hasn't heard of The Astronomers Brother problem?

Everything is relative. As speed increases the time rate slows. So at the speed of light things get pretty fun. Were we able to break the speed of light (Which isn't impossible given that light is slowing down according to several formerly prominent astronomers, physicians and mathematicians) then time travel could work.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Skoosh said:
Moving backwards in time has been theoretically impossible since Einstein. This is just a bit of experimentation confirming those hypotheses more. I get angry reading the comments on the one summary and here though from people that obviously have no scientific knowledge past high school level trying to say this is rubbish. As someone with a degree in physics, let me say his paper seems sound.

And to everyone that says "oh, scientific knowledge changes every day and we end up doing the impossible so I'm ignoring this" you're being just as bad as a creationist saying "evolution is just a theory, not really true."
Excellent point. And may I say you're sounding like an evolutionist who says that he quite definitely evolved from a monkey but please don't hit him because it's "evil".

Now that we're done with silly arguments, might I suggest you spend a bit more time learning? As the speed of light has not yet been broken, we can't say for certain that time travel is impossible. Physics as we know it stops working then. And remember that evolution is a theory. A good one mind, but still a theory. No evolutionist I've met will accept the possibilities that humans could have evolved separately from primates. Which is kind of funny given that we need at least two humans to reproduce (at a prolific rate), and thus experience genetic loss from the very start. Saying that we evolve into something better is spitting in the face of entropy. Makes more sense for the big bang (which ever in the series we're up to now) to have spawned creatures at the start. Which is possible given that after the previous "big crunch" there was another "big bang". What's that pseudo science (which could be ignorant given I know nothing about it) that claims a poison diluted to tens of thousandths will hold the previous pattern and thus be good for you?

Long ramble to say, no such thing as impossible, merely differing degrees of probability. Thus anyone who states "This cannot be" is a fool.

Nov 12, 2010
It is only going to be impossible until someone does it in which case it will be world noticed,die down,and in the end prove a pop reference as no one pursues it further then a couple trips.Oh wait,that was NASA.I still say get back to the future

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Svenparty said:
Nothing is impossible! Not if you believe in it. That's what being a scientist is all about!-Professor Farnsworth

I once saw a documentary about a time travelling Deloreon that debunks this theory entirely.
Or redefine things so that they work. Can't travel FTL? Pull space towards you half the speed of light and travel against it at the same speed, now you are traveling point A to B at C. Farnsworth did it (somewhat, why can't we?)

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
John Funk said:
It's kind of a bummer, isn't it? There's good news, though: Smolyaniov's experiment showed that while light can't be bent to go to its former location, it could go to somewhere like its former location - in another dimension.
Without reading the article as of yet I would simply like to point out that this actually handily resolves the problem of paradox inherent to time travel problem solving.

If one wanted to use this very concept for a video game we could have Homefront but instead of the US being invaded by North Korea it could be invaded by the parallel US.

Or did I just describe the last 1/3 of Sliders?

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
Cyberjester said:
Skoosh said:
Moving backwards in time has been theoretically impossible since Einstein. This is just a bit of experimentation confirming those hypotheses more. I get angry reading the comments on the one summary and here though from people that obviously have no scientific knowledge past high school level trying to say this is rubbish. As someone with a degree in physics, let me say his paper seems sound.

And to everyone that says "oh, scientific knowledge changes every day and we end up doing the impossible so I'm ignoring this" you're being just as bad as a creationist saying "evolution is just a theory, not really true."
Excellent point. And may I say you're sounding like an evolutionist who says that he quite definitely evolved from a monkey but please don't hit him because it's "evil".

Now that we're done with silly arguments, might I suggest you spend a bit more time learning? As the speed of light has not yet been broken, we can't say for certain that time travel is impossible. Physics as we know it stops working then. And remember that evolution is a theory. A good one mind, but still a theory. No evolutionist I've met will accept the possibilities that humans could have evolved separately from primates. Which is kind of funny given that we need at least two humans to reproduce (at a prolific rate), and thus experience genetic loss from the very start. Saying that we evolve into something better is spitting in the face of entropy. Makes more sense for the big bang (which ever in the series we're up to now) to have spawned creatures at the start. Which is possible given that after the previous "big crunch" there was another "big bang". What's that pseudo science (which could be ignorant given I know nothing about it) that claims a poison diluted to tens of thousandths will hold the previous pattern and thus be good for you?

Long ramble to say, no such thing as impossible, merely differing degrees of probability. Thus anyone who states "This cannot be" is a fool.
The speed of light can't be broken though. You would need an infinite amount of energy just to reach it. Look at your basics about special relativity. Because of mass?energy equivalence, the closer you get to the speed of light, the larger the mass, the more energy needed to accelerate further, which means the larger the mass, and so on. Also you do realise that the OP was referring to traveling BACKWARDS in time, right? It's commonly accepted we can go to the future in a way by slowing our own passage of time with extreme speeds.

Entropy is only for closed-systems. Earth isn't closed: we get energy from the sun.

The big bang spawned creatures at the start, what? Do you even know what the big bang is, or that there are about 10 different hypotheses about it right now? Also evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life, that's abiogenesis. Evolution just says how it became what it is today. I also don't think you understand what "theory" means in science. Earth orbits sun is a theory.

What does homeopathy have to do with anything? It's pseudo-science, quite obviously false, and completely unrelated to this topic.

Of course science does nothing but assign probabilities to things. When we have evidence pointing that something isn't so though, tons and tons of evidence, it's easier to say "impossible" instead of "99.99999999999% likely to not be so." Yes, new ideas come around, but until you can prove it, we don't care. It's like pointing to a stranger and saying he's a Nazi baby rapist. Sure, he could be, but he's innocent until proven guilty and what your suggesting is extremely unlikely.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I like to keep in mind that we were just as certain that the Earth was flat and people would explode if they exceeded the speed of sound...

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
Time travel as a whole seems like a bad idea, the premise of accidentally killing myself off due to disrupting something which I wouldn't notice just seems like something I'd rather avoid.

Raiyan 1.0 said:
Who says time travel is impossible?

I'm travelling through time, towards the future.