Pick an Allomatic power

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Probably go with steel partially because it's at least fairly common but also because it would seem to have a lot of applications. Although iron would be cool just because I could be a metal wall spiderman.

Interesting concept. All I want to know is what burning plutonium would do...

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Probably Brass,
because I like playing supportive characters, mostly healers,
but with a pinch of offensive use if I need to.

I'm like Plusle or Minun.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Steel. Being a Coinshot would be awesome! Plus the added benefit of being able to launch yourself around at high speeds means you'll never need to take a bus or cab or anything.
My second choice would be Pewter or Tin.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Surely the 'basic' metals should not be alloys? Anyway...

Tin, Pewter or Zinc. In that order of preference. Although... actually, how the fuck to get hold of loads of pewter or zinc? Tin is common but zinc? Uhm... Hmm. Maybe iron instead.

tweedpol

Nov 19, 2009
Ah yes, these books are cracking.
Probably iron. I would tape a paperclip to all my stuff so I'd be able to get them without getting up, I would be able to cycle at high speeds by pulling towards lamp posts or cars. If I was really suicidal one day I might even try spidermanning around! there must be enough metal on buildings to be able to pull myself up on them. I feel like it would be slightly easier to control than steelpushing, where if you reach a high speed you have to hope there is something ahead of you to push and slow down on. Both would obviously be better...
Or pewter, it makes you a low grade superhero with very little effort and it isn't so dependent on the others. But it's harder to get hold of.

WolfThomas: If you haven't finished the books yet you're in for a treat, although shit gets real when the fire breathing monkeys from the future show up (spoiler warning)

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I'd say that I would want to be a Tin Eye but I'd probably end up being a Savant like Spook, so I guess I'd go with Brass. It seems like it would be really useful in real life.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
rhizhim said:
WolfThomas said:
Personally I think I would go Pewter. Bursts of superstrength would be pretty useful.

EDIT: I had a poll...
okay , i really dont understand this. so you get powers by burning metals?

also having bursts if super strenght could be fatal.
imagine you want to throw something heavy and your powers just disappears in the middle of it. you would crush yourself.
You eat the metal, usually in the form of powder or beads and washed down with something (booze), sort of like most medicine tablets(except its safe to take them with booze). Once you have eaten the metal its used as fuel for the power, hence 'burning'.

And yes each power does have its drawback, the physical metals (Tin and Pewter) in particular have very nasty ones if you kept it on constantly for an extended period of time.

anyway. i'd take this
An allomancer burning Electrum is able to see thier own immeadiate future.

A misting able to burn Electrum is an Oracle.
and off to vegas, baby!
The particular drawback to Electrum is that it shows your future in the form of shadows of your movements, it doesnt work on anything thats not you. Also it shows all the possible futures.

All in all, Electrums only viable use is as a counter to a Mistborn burning Atium, usually in a fight to the death.

Sorry if i urinated on your parade, im just so good at it.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
gigastar said:
An allomancer burning Cadmanium will make time pass slowly in a small area around them.

A misting able to burn Cadmanium is a Pulser.
Cadmanium sounds like a pretty sweet power. Are there people who combine it with Bendalloy to totally f*ck with other people's circadian clock and spatial awareness? (i.e. make it so that a person's head moves and reacts slower than the rest of their body)

Well, in answer to the OP I'd probably choose either Copper or Steel. I like to play the thief in games, so a cloaking power seems useful (especially if combined with other things like coinshot or emotional powers so as to be able to hide in a crowd). Coinshot sounds fun (imagine throwing up a bag of ball bearings into the air as a shrapnel bomb or flicking coins out from behind a wall as homing missiles, not to mention hurling yourself from building to building). Out of curiosity, since Silicon is a metal does that push power extend to glass and sand? And if so, does the weight factor apply to the bulk weight or individual weight of the objects being affected?

Might just go check out the series myself (hope it doesn't cross into Seikon no Qwaser territory).

Retsam19

Dec 6, 2010
+1 for Brandon Sanderson book thread. (I'm a big fan of his stuff; if you enjoy Mistborn, Way of Kings is, in my opinion, fantastic)

Of the 8 base metals, I'd probably go tin eye. It has the most non-combat potential, in my opinion.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Gottesstrafe said:
gigastar said:
An allomancer burning Cadmanium will make time pass slowly in a small area around them.

A misting able to burn Cadmanium is a Pulser.
Cadmanium sounds like a pretty sweet power. Are there people who combine it with Bendalloy to totally f*ck with other people's circadian clock and spatial awareness? (i.e. make it so that a person's head moves and reacts slower than the rest of their body)

Well, in answer to the OP I'd probably choose either Copper or Steel. I like to play the thief in games, so a cloaking power seems useful (especially if combined with other things like coinshot or emotional powers so as to be able to hide in a crowd). Coinshot sounds fun (imagine throwing up a bag of ball bearings into the air as a shrapnel bomb or flicking coins out from behind a wall as homing missiles). Out of curiosity, since Silicon is a metal does that push power extend to glass and sand? And if so, does the weight factor apply to the bulk weight or individual weight of the objects being affected?
Since i happen to be here i might as well answer.

Silicon itself simply hasnt been factored into the series yet, but glass does exist and it is not affected by coinshots or luchers.

Also a special ability afforded to coinshots when theyre skilled enough is flight by magnetic repulsion. Think about that for a moment.

And for the weight factors, its the weight of the allomancer vs. the weight of the target object(s). Rule of thumb is, heaviest wins. If the target object or the allomancer is braced against a fixed object (a wall) then that is factored in too. Theres also an upper limit on the force a coinshot can exert while braced, else he might end up crushing himself against his wall. The inverse would also apply to luchers.

Also slider and pulser bubbles will cancel eachother out.

Also being a smoker effectively demotes you to support, as merely having it is a useless ability on its own.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Probably Zinc, it has by far the most practical day to day uses. I wouldn't be interested in using it to start a riot (unless i wanted to cause a distraction...) but i could waltz through job interviews and get laid pretty darn easily.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
rhizhim said:
aww, come on! you could at least write the drawbacks on the metals.

say, could i convince someone they were a sodium or potassium misting and laught at them from a safe distance?

or are they already mistings for alkali metals?

what about silver?
Theres no mistings for alkali and alkaline metals, i daresay some poor bastard already tried it at some point and found out why eating the likes of potassium and rubidium was a bad idea.

And though it could be added at some point if the books continue, silver isnt an allomantic metal on its own.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
Steel so very much. Drop a coin on the ground and you can levitate in that spot! It's awesome! Not to mention the "innocuous objects become bullets" and "metal structures let you fling your self around" bits and its the clear winner.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Screw those, I'm picking sodium! It'll allow me to make explosions!

Barring that though, probably steel. Having a near infinite supply of ammo is always good.