Pikachu is dead.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Pfft. Jeez, are you late to this dinner table. [a href="http://tinycartridge.com/post/866743831/super-creepy-pokemon-hack"]Read this[/a]. It's a creepy urban legend about a supposed "haunted bootleg" called Pokemon Black; this, mind you, is back when the DS wasn't a glint in Nintendo's eye, during the era of Pokemon Red/Blue.

[img src="http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l688gqYGuD1qzpbds.gif" /]

The big deal about this one was that you supposedly had the mysterious "GHOST" pokemon from the tower at Lavender Town in your party throughout the entire game and couldn't get rid of it; if you used its "Curse" ability, it would perma-kill the pokemon you used it against. It's just a story that somebody wrote, but it is unsettling and shows a lot of the thoughts you're putting into this.

I think the concept arose when someone realized that Gary had a rattatta, then when you get to Lavender Town and see him tending to a pokemon's grave, the rattatta's not in his party any more. You could infer that he didn't use it any more because, well, rattatta sucks, but a lot of people think this implies that you actually killed his rattatta in your last fight with him.

In any case, Lavender Town is definitely one of the morbid places in the series, featuring an ENTIRE TOWER OF POKEMON GRAVESTONES, so I think it's safe to say they eventually pass on.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Yes, they do die, but they apparently only die from old age or an EXTREME beating and for gameplay purposes, the two cases never really seem to affect the player.

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
One thing that I've thought about it is, its rather nasty isn't it? Like breeding dogs to fight, I know its just a game/show/card game but if you in that world it would be rather violent... just a thought

And as others have mentioned theres a graveyard.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Reveras said:
WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*reads OP* Ah damn ...well ...one can only hope I guess.
Mackheath said:
Marter said:
PIKACHU WILL LIVE FOREVER!!!!!
I fucking hope not.

OT: Yeah. Lavender Town has the Ghost Tower, so I'm assuming they do.
Agree with these people about the topic of Pikachu.

I hate the damn rat.

Raichu is alright though. But, Ampharos, FTW <3

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
I think in the original Pokemon Adventures a couple of Pokemon died. But in the games, they faint. The only notion of being dead is the Pokemon Tower.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
MassiveGeek said:
Hey, Escapists on the... well, the Escapist(duh).

Recently I started playing Pokémon, or well, I'm replaying Heart Gold to kill my boredom when my brother or mom kicks me off the computer and I have nothing else to do, or when I'm on the bus.

And so I wondered to myself...

Do Pokémon die?

I mean, there's not any hints to it being the case, I think, and it's not like you stumble over corpses in the woods all the time(that is, you never stumble upon anything like that) or you hear some news about an old pokémon passing away...

So what do you think, Escapists? Do pokémon die? Do they just dissapear, and live forever? If they do die, do they decay like all other living creatures or just poof out of existence?

EDIT: Oh, right. *Slaps forehead* I recently read that thing about Cubone wearing it's moms skull. -_- *Forgetful*
And sorry pokémon fans, I have Pokémon Red, borrowed it from a friend but never got around to playing it, I'm such a graphics junkie.

Anyway, I'm still curious as to what happens to them when they're dead. Do they decay, which is most likely, or does something more kid friendly happen?
They probably die and decompose like everything else, but if the Poke'mon world acquires any realities to it. Realistically, children would not handle them, Poke'mon would probably be used to commit crimes and kill people. Like, wasn't Team Rocket a terrorist organization? They could bomb buildings with Electrodes.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Ramrunner7 said:
Edit: WAIT!! I forgot about cubone. it wears the skull of its dead mother.... so i guess they can
Wow, that's weird... Do all female Cubones/whatever it morphs into die in birth? (so the baby can wear the skull).

That seems weirdly inefficient, biologically speaking. That means every time a female Cu-mama gives birth, the number of the species splits in half, which would make them dying out, since only one half of their number (assuming half are male and half female) die with every generation. What happens if it's a multiple birth? Do the babies split the skull amongst them? What would that look like?

I think Professor Oak is pulling everyone's leg, hard. Go on, Oak. Pull the other one...

Latman2k

Apr 11, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Pfft. Jeez, are you late to this dinner table. [a href="http://tinycartridge.com/post/866743831/super-creepy-pokemon-hack"]Read this[/a]. It's a creepy urban legend about a supposed "haunted bootleg" called Pokemon Black; this, mind you, is back when the DS wasn't a glint in Nintendo's eye, during the era of Pokemon Red/Blue.

[img src="http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l688gqYGuD1qzpbds.gif" /]

The big deal about this one was that you supposedly had the mysterious "GHOST" pokemon from the tower at Lavender Town in your party throughout the entire game and couldn't get rid of it; if you used its "Curse" ability, it would perma-kill the pokemon you used it against. It's just a story that somebody wrote, but it is unsettling and shows a lot of the thoughts you're putting into this.

I think the concept arose when someone realized that Gary had a rattatta, then when you get to Lavender Town and see him tending to a pokemon's grave, the rattatta's not in his party any more. You could infer that he didn't use it any more because, well, rattatta sucks, but a lot of people think this implies that you actually killed his rattatta in your last fight with him.

In any case, Lavender Town is definitely one of the morbid places in the series, featuring an ENTIRE TOWER OF POKEMON GRAVESTONES, so I think it's safe to say they eventually pass on.
I heard that too, apparently when you see your rival at lavender town they were going to have a much serious tone in your rivals story. The story goes during the previous fight with your rival's Raticate was pretty badly injured and died, and was in lavender town to put him to rest. After that he started taking his rivalry with you more serious

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Pikachu can never die! LIES! IT'S PLOT CONVENIENT TO KEEP IT AROUND!

..However, yes. Pokemon can die. Just takes a lot of beating to do it.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Geez, Pokemon is pretty morbid.

Oh to be 8/9 again and look at it with such innocence.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
MassiveGeek said:
Someone needs the play the Hacked version of pokemon Black. Its an old pokemon red where you use the ghost (what pokemon look like before you get the silph co. viewer thing), and it kills pokemon when they battle (only one, then the battle is over). THen, when you're done with the battle there's a tombstone where the trainer was, and if you battled them again,t he pokemon would be permanently gone. So you go through the game in that aspect before finally ending the game by beating it. Then, you appear as an old man and the ghost pokemon you had appears. You hear all the cries of the pokemon you killed, then you battle with the ghost who uses curse while you have to use struggle, until you eventually die.

Its possibly the bleakest game I've ever played, especially since its all in Pokemon Red's graphics.

Anyway, more OT: I would say that they get buried in the tower section. Or the get eaten. Cause if you read some pokemon's pokedex pages, it says they eat other ones (like Ekans eat Pidgey Eggs). So what happens when pokemon like that have to eat?

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Cubone gaining it's mother's skull as a helmet is undiluted nightmare fuel, sure that Cubone at the Pokemon Tower gained her skull, but what about the ones hatched from eggs? is it like Bees that stings people then having their...intestines pulled out...stuttering really, an egg is created and you find your skull swiped from under your neck..somehow. D:

It doesnt help that Awkward Zombie drew that too. http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=011011

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
Pokemon, are basically monsters, in several episodes of the original series, Pokemon have been said to be near death, but have been saved by the protagonist (Ash, Brock, Mysty and Pikachu), in the film (first one) we learn Pokemon tears can reverse being turned to stone.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Of course they do, would be damn scary if your pokésteak would be still alive in the restaurant.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I've always wondered about the Cubone thing ... I mean obviously only has one skull ... so that means all cubones we're single children because all cubones wear their mother's skulls.

So if pokemon do die, naturally speaking Cubone would naturally eventually be ... you know ... finished as a species of pokemon.