Pikachu Will be Japan's Official Mascot For 2014 Soccer World Cup

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
el derpenburgo said:
Um no, this is false. Nowhere does it say "official" mascot, it's just a bloody tie in promotion. I know this is ripped from Joystiq (and probably a dozen misinformed articles before that) but please have the sense to verify a primary source before riding on the LOL LOOK AT THIS JAPAN STUFF train.
The Soccerly article one above the Joystiq says it is the official and other sports based sites are saying the same. It was Adias' choice not anyone in the governments though.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I always like seeing Japan do well at the World Cup, and this just gives me all the more reason for it. Although they are still my second team to watch behind Belgium at this year's one though. They and their fans were top class when they faced us (Scotland) in the qualifiers.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I guess Hitmonlee wasn't 'kawaii' enough to be a mascot even though basically all it does is kick stuff.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Subatomic said:
O maestre said:
Also I hope the Japanese performs better than in south africa, I seem to remember them getting thrashed, not as much as North Korea but still.
They finished second in their group behind the Netherlands (ranked 11th in the FIFA world ranking, Japan is 48th), and got knocked out against Paraguay in a penalty shoot-out... not exactly a terrible performance, especially compared to the humiliating defeats North Korea suffered likr the 0-7 against Portugel.
While not as humiliating as North Korea's performance, France managed to completely botch every match in 2010. Out of all three matches, they actually played like a team for about 15 minutes total. I am so, so glad that Domenech is gone.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Neronium said:
The fact that there is no Eevee on that team at all makes me sad at Japan. Seriously, Eevee is the perfect mascot for Pokemon, and it's so damn cute it just blows Pikachu out of the water. I mean hell, Pikachu wasn't even good until it got an item in Gen III, and even then it's not really the best! >.<

[sub][sub][sub]This message is brought to you by the unofficial "Eevee should be Pokemon's Mascot" coalition.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

OT: Now I must have all the football teams of the world have Pokemon on their teams. I will support the one that has an Eevee or any of the Eeveelutions on it's team of course. :3
I dunno man, they look adorable at first, but once you put them in the day-care for any amount of time, they start looking like this. [http://static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4654940+_9d99ba7d59e4289277e5b9b2ee571dbb.png]

Ditto, on the other hand seems happy as a clam...

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I see we have a goalie, but what would the other starting positions be?

Neronium said:
The fact that there is no Eevee on that team at all makes me sad at Japan. Seriously, Eevee is the perfect mascot for Pokemon, and it's so damn cute it just blows Pikachu out of the water. I mean hell, Pikachu wasn't even good until it got an item in Gen III, and even then it's not really the best! >.<

[sub][sub][sub]This message is brought to you by the unofficial "Eevee should be Pokemon's Mascot" coalition.[/sub][/sub][/sub]
I'm theorizing that Eevee is on the team, but as a substitute, not a starter (though Eevee would be a kick ass forward.)

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
I guess Hitmonlee wasn't 'kawaii' enough to be a mascot even though basically all it does is kick stuff.

Look at it's feet, every time it would kick the ball it'd put a hole in it.