Pillars of Eternity Gets New Release Window

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
SecondPrize said:
Rushed? They fail to meet the deadlines they contract for and when developers get sick enough of unmet deadlines they force them to publish. Obsidian is awful at properly budgeting their time and money and publishers call them on it. This is why they release unfinished games riddled with bugs, not because publishers decide to fuck with them.
True, it does seem that Obsidian work TERRIBLY when it comes to contract work. They're able to make great games, but they don't seem to understand the whole concept of "deadlines." You'd think people who'd been in the games industry as long as them would understand that

nogitsune

Aug 15, 2013
I hope this means that they're make a good game, but I don't really trust Obsidian with anything and didn't put a single cent on the kickstarter, but I will buy the game if it's good. Though Obsidian's biggest problem is feature creep, they try to do too much and end up with a bunch of stuff that is half assed, though would be cool if fully realized but the time wasn't there. The problem is Kickstarter is terrible with feature creep if you get overshot, then you're forced to put in features that you might not have the budget for.

I really hope Obsidian can turn things around, they do have some great talent that made great games in the 90's but under Obsidian, their games have been mediocre to bad to unplayable. They have a very vocal fanbase that has some obnoxious people. But honestly, they have a lot to do to earn my trust, I've been burned by every game I bought of theirs. I will have a very cautious look at the game when it's out and not before.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
Issurru said:
Clive Howlitzer said:

They're also close to Alpha from what they said in the email I got today, so hopefully they let it out a bit for some play testing from those who backed it
I'd rather it get pushed back a dozen times than be released in some half done state. I'll have to check about the higher tier rewards. I believe most of it just needed my address which I assumed was the one linked to my Kickstarter account.
I would check your email just to be sure. I know I had to send them my address and fill out a largish survey/information thing with address, what my pledge was for and other stuff. Like I'm getting a physical copy with a map and a bunch of other stuff shipped to Canada. Not sure how it might work with if you only got a digital copy but if you backed it you should be getting an email every Tuesday (usually. Can't remember if they've missed any for reasons other than like Christmas or e3 or things like that)

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
StewShearer said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Is this the games release? Or the games release as an alpha, where they slowly add in all the features they said would be there over time while getting paid for a half finished project? Aka most kickstarters?
This should be the game's release. To my recall they're actually in the alpha phase right now. I do believe they plan on having some sort of limited beta release for people to try out though.
They are not in Alpha yet. They are expecting to go in Alpha in April or May which is why all backer individual content must be added by march or will be left out.

Shaevar

Jan 29, 2011
This news is not very surprising.

And to be fair, the spring 2014 date was set at the stert of a kickstarter, way before it made around 4 millions and reach all it's stretch goals. But the kickstarter rules prevent any changes in the realese date, even if the project end up being much, MUCH bigger.

It's only reasonnable to see the release pushed back.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Its a very brave move to bring it out at the end of the year. I know im getting this anyway but i fear it will get drowned out in the end of year releases.

Apr 5, 2008
As much as I'm looking forward to this, I don't honestly mind the wait. For a polished, more complete product I would rather wait. I'm a lot more picky now about what I get excited about since most game releases are thoroughly yawnworthy, but for an old-school, honest to Heavens PC RPG, with no consideration for consolisation and dumbing down for the console crowd, I will back it, support it, buy it and play it.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Waiting another year for the game, this disappoints me somewhat. But I really hope they don't release a broken product. Regardless I'm looking forward to it.

But I guess with Witcher 3 and DAI are on the horizon...wait they are coming out in fall (W3 most likely as well)..guess I'll cope with Dark Souls 2 on PC..no release date announced..DAMN IT! Where are all the good RPG's have gone for this year? Divinity Original Sin is delayed, no news on Wasteland 2 proper release date so yeah I'm a bit bummed out.