Pilots(job)

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I have a friend who was a pilot for almost a decade. She told me it's a massive boys club and pretty much constantly disrepecting her even when she become the lead pilot.

She quit.

So I'd dare say that you are limiting yourself to less than half the population. Women are ostracized and so is anyone who thinks treating people like rubbish is bad

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Medical reasons say no in my case (mostly sensory deficiencies)... my sister wanted to become a pilot too, but she (was and still) is too short.

For the most part, though, I think it's because of a lack of recruitment publicity. There's no general encouragement to become a pilot, hence there's not much of a general interest in becoming a pilot. *shrug*

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
trunkage said:
I have a friend who was a pilot for almost a decade. She told me it's a massive boys club and pretty much constantly disrepecting her even when she become the lead pilot.

She quit.

So I'd dare say that you are limiting yourself to less than half the population. Women are ostracized and so is anyone who thinks treating people like rubbish is bad
The industry has shifted from captain is god, gear up, shut up, don't forget my coffee, to a heavily CRM based, AQP training, checklist, procedure driven type of flying.

Not sure what type of flying she was in but it doesn't sound like any kind of 121(airline) operation.

I'd say right now its a good job for females. You don't have a boss, you have a contract that everyone follows, same pay same rules, everything is seniority based so you can't discriminate schedules etc. Training is to standard you either meet them or you don't and your going through the exact same class as everyone. Even if for some reason you run into the asshole out flying the line you interact with them once and either contact pro stands with the union or just blacklist them and scheduling won't put you with them.

Commercial aviation right now is as close to a meritocracy as I can imagine an industry being. The days of going out drinking, hitting on the flight attendants, and generally being a douche brofest is over. Granted i'm newish to commercial aviation but it seems everybody works their duty day takes the crew van to whatever hotel we're at that night captain says show time is xx:xx tomorrow everyone goes to their hotel room, gets some ubereats and passes out.

Only sexism I've heard is from passengers usually something about "hurrdurr they let the flight attendant fly the plane".

We have to get along with everybody we never fly with the same person twice( it can happen but its rare when your in a base with 100s other pilots) so anyone who can't be a professional and work as a crew 10 miniutes after meeting at the plane is weeded out or at least after getting beat over the head in CRM classes knows enough to fake it.