Piracy, A Look

procyonlotor

Jun 12, 2010
Intro

People talk about piracy all the time on the internet, but most of the time they only produce three sentence long opinion pieces either defending or attacking the practice. I have decided to get some cold hard facts, insofar as it is possible to get them, by analyzing a particular instance of piracy.

The Actual Thing

So, I'm currently looking at the original torrent for Mass Effect posted on Demonoid 3 years ago. Up till now, it has had 104120 completed downloads; let's round that to 100k for convenience's sake. What do we know?

We know that it was downloaded one hundred thousand times on Demonoid. We do not know whether the downloads belonged to unique users, or whether one person made use of the same torrent several times. We do not know what people did with the torrent afterwards. Did they install, keep, delete, use as an extended demo for purchase, outright pirate and laugh about it while walking by Gamestop? We also do not know how many people actually bought the game while downloading. We do not know how many people downloaded the torrent while already owning the game because they have lost discs, DDL service was slow or down, etc.

We must also keep in mind that the torrent is three years old. It would be nice to have a graph detailing the activity it's had over the years, but unfortunately, such features are unavailable. The torrent has no exact date at which it was posted, however from the comments page I can surmise that it was soon after launch. Of the 426 comments posted on the torrent, circa 350 were posted three years ago at the latest. That is an overwhelming majority of comments. So from this data, if we accept that torrent activity is correlated to comment number, the torrent has been gradually abandoned.

However, we have not considered alternative Mass Effect torrents on Demonoid and other sites (I can recally one private tracker having ME2 available before it was even launched - many happy people - now checking it, the torrent has been completed only several thousand times). We have not considered the game's DLC, or analyzed its correlation with ME, etc. As you can see, it is very difficult to extrapolate specific, meaningful data even having access to the torrent websites themselves. You would have to go for a long term research project where you probe and record and every IP using the torrent in order to verify that it is unique, and well, you get where this is going.

Now let me run a search on how many copies of ME were sold, which is when our torrent was most active (in point of fact, we can only narrow the most intense activity of the torrent to three years ago, but it is conceivable, and if anecdotal evidence is to be believed, that torrents, especially of such wide coverage games as ME, experience their peak at launch).

According to Gamespot 1.6 million copies were sold in the first six weeks, which is a fairly decent time frame for our torrent.

The article however does not report how many copies were sold for each platform, via either retail or digital, but if we assume that every download of Mass Effect equals a lost sale (an extreme and highly unlikely scenario), then this singular instance of piracy has cost Bioware a maximum of 16% of its profits from the sales of Mass Effect in the first six weeks.

Conclusions

16% is a significant but hardly crippling portion of income. Please note that this is one of the most popular torrents I have been able to find in years of usage, and therefore a distinct case. This is useful mostly to gleam some understanding into the extent of damage that piracy can cause.

Is it enough to drive a developer away? Epic blamed PC piracy for poor Gears of War sales on that platform, but even such a large number of lost sales could hardly be said to cripple a game which is expected to sell in the millions. In fact, Epic's own Cliffy B. has since released a number of statements (that I know of at least) as to why they chose to alienate the PC crowd, including the ludicrous claim that Gears did not "work" properly on the PC - it is so good a port that you would say it was developed for the PC to begin with.

N.B. It is notoriously difficult to get accurate data about video game sales. Publishers will only release "marketing" announcements, claiming their game has sold x millions of copies. Even so they will not always release the specifics, such as platforms and medium. It is not uncommon for digital sales to go completely ignored. You do not "ship" copies to Steam, for instance.

TL;DR: I have conducted an hour-long study of how an exceptionally popular torrent of ME1 can damage sales. Not as bad as you'd think. But we do not have nearly as much data as we need to draw definite conclusions.

procyonlotor

Jun 12, 2010
TheIronRuler said:
I lack the ability to see the point of this thread.
Please enlighten me.
Hello.

me said:
Intro

People talk about piracy all the time on the internet, but most of the time they only produce three sentence long opinion pieces either defending or attacking the practice. I have decided to get some cold hard facts, insofar as it is possible to get them, by analyzing a particular instance of piracy.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Yet I don't understand the point of this thread.
Is it to educate us ignorant masses of the wonders and perils of hackers and hacking?
These aren't cold hard evidence. This is a one hour internet surfing session dedicated for research.... You can't rely on these results.
You haven't even given your point - Do you want to criticize the companies that say piracy hurts their profits and therefore they refuse to release games on the PC?
That was a torrent. Do you think all people use torrents? What about file sharing web sites?
Do you think that it was the accurate number of sales? It might not even be the accurate number of units shipped.
I think that you just wasted an hour of your life doing.... absolutely nothing.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Your study only includes one game, one torrent, and one tracker.

One would have to at least add all the existing ME torrents together and then extrapolate to the other trackers.

For samll titles, the ratio is more like 9:1 pirated vs bought copies. Things like world of goo and what not.

And that is driving developers to things like the iphone and consoles, which has its own problems but hey, at least its a little less of a problem over there.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
thiosk said:

One would have to at least add all the existing ME torrents together and then extrapolate to the other trackers.

For samll titles, the ratio is more like 9:1 pirated vs bought copies. Things like world of goo and what not.

And that is driving developers to things like the iphone and consoles, which has its own problems but hey, at least its a little less of a problem over there.
One could hardly call this a study.

liquidangry

Feb 18, 2011
thiosk said:
He does mention that but yeah, way flawed. I will agree that the statement of piracy killing PC gaming is flawed. Guess nobodies seen all the xb360 and ps3 versions of torrents around the net. Consoles are just as susceptible. The real reason for low sales is there are less people with game ready PC's and even some who do have game capable PC's will use their console simply because of the ease of use.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
thiosk said:
Not exactly valid. Both apps and console games are just as easily pirated; though the dedicated technology involved requires a little tinkering to jailbreak, assuming you are not just emulating it. At most it just cuts off whatever benefits are associated with first party service (multiplayer, updates, etc.)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
thiosk said:
Not exactly valid. Both apps and console games are just as easily pirated; though the dedicated technology involved requires a little tinkering to jailbreak, assuming you are not just emulating it. At most it just cuts off whatever benefits are associated with first party service (multiplayer, updates, etc.)
I hold that all platforms can be pirated, but its more difficult for the mass market to pirate. Anyone can pirate on the pc, including 95% of all chinese people who have the internet. The chinese market is functionally closed to western software developers because of the endemic piracy, and is not likely to open regardless of pricing model changes.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
This is a poor study at best.

We know piracy isn't the only reason for poor PC sales and resulting less support. It is still a large contributing factor.

And consoles do not have the same piracy issues. Any PC capable of running a game is capable of running it's pirated copy with practically no effort, maybe you have to pick up some mounting software. Or just pirate the software too. A console requires both hardware and software modification, which is a considerably bigger time and money input than the zero for the PC. Also there is no backlash for using pirated games on PC, whereas a console can have functionality removed if it goes online again.

procyonlotor

Jun 12, 2010
Unfortunately, there is no web-wide corpus of piracy-related data. In order to have a "definitive" study, you would have to scour the Internet, top to bottom, perform interviews, cast polls, and apply a wide range of other methodologies. Of course, I was not proposing any such thing. In fact, I was conducting an analysis on a microscopic scale. The particulars have been quoted above.

TheIronRuler said:
Zantos said:
Forgive me, the word was poorly chosen. I did not think it would be taken so seriously on The Escapist, the word that is.

I shall settle with "A Look More Interested At Getting At The Truth Than Your Average Internet Poster".

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
As far as I see it piracy is a lot less hurtful than the industry say, but a lot more hurtful than supporters say.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
procyonlotor said:
Unfortunately, there is no web-wide corpus of piracy-related data. In order to have a "definitive" study, you would have to scour the Internet, top to bottom, perform interviews, cast polls, and apply a wide range of other methodologies. Of course, I was not proposing any such thing. In fact, I was conducting an analysis on a microscopic scale. The particulars have been quoted above.

TheIronRuler said:
Zantos said:
Forgive me, the word was poorly chosen. I did not think it would be taken so seriously on The Escapist, the word that is.

I shall settle with "A Look More Interested At Getting At The Truth Than Your Average Internet Poster".
Don't worry yourself.
Some newspapers get out of publishing even worse 'studies' or making up crap where I'm from.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
procyonlotor said:
TheIronRuler said:
Zantos said:

Sorry, on reread I was far more of a prick than I originally thought. It is significantly more truth than you can get out of an average internet user, however I've seen other places around here, it's like being the most attractive guy in the Jay Leno lookalike contest.

TheIronRuler said:
Don't worry yourself.
Some newspapers get out of publishing even worse 'studies' or making up crap where I'm from.
As someone who studies physics, any form of scientific studies or journalism make me want to cry.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
procyonlotor said:
Epic blamed PC piracy for poor Gears of War sales on that platform, but even such a large number of lost sales could hardly be said to cripple a game which is expected to sell in the millions. In fact, Epic's own Cliffy B. has since released a number of statements (that I know of at least) as to why they chose to alienate the PC crowd, including the ludicrous claim that Gears did not "work" properly on the PC - it is so good a port that you would say it was developed for the PC to begin with.
Not to mention Epic released GoW on the PC nearly a year after its release on XBox, and left it largely unpatched (online lag, no dedicated server). I really wouldn't be enthusiastic about such a release. The fact is, Epic kept GoW off the PC for the same reason it was off the PS3 - MS paid 'em off to keep it an XBox exclusive. Otherwise, why did they release Bulletstorm on the PC then, hmm?

Also, Cliify B is a certified troll.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
liquidangry said:
thiosk said:
He does mention that but yeah, way flawed. I will agree that the statement of piracy killing PC gaming is flawed. Guess nobodies seen all the xb360 and ps3 versions of torrents around the net. Consoles are just as susceptible. The real reason for low sales is there are less people with game ready PC's and even some who do have game capable PC's will use their console simply because of the ease of use.
Ahhh but there is some sort of defenses when it comes to the console (not to mention the external devices/knowledge required). What happens if MS figures out your console is modded? They brick it. That means any potential pirate risks losing his/her console plus the cost of the device used to play pirated games. Where on the PC it is far easier (since it requires no device and any program you may need is easily pirateable) and has no consequences to pirate a game.

liquidangry

Feb 18, 2011
squid5580 said:
liquidangry said:
thiosk said:
Ahhh but there is some sort of defenses when it comes to the console (not to mention the external devices/knowledge required). What happens if MS figures out your console is modded? They brick it. That means any potential pirate risks losing his/her console plus the cost of the device used to play pirated games. Where on the PC it is far easier (since it requires no device and any program you may need is easily pirateable) and has no consequences to pirate a game.
One word. Emulators. No need to do any modding.

im_thelumberjack

Feb 18, 2010
Torrent Freak often keeps tabs of what the most torrented releases are from all of the major sites. Looking at their top torrents it is ridiculous to see how much piracy has increased in only a few years.

http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2008-081204/

http://torrentfreak.com/the-most-pirated-games-of-2009-091227/

http://torrentfreak.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-most-pirated-game-of-2010-101228/

During 2009-2010 for the top 5 games; more copies of games were pirated then bought for the PC. In 2008 all of the top 10 games sold more than they were pirated on the PC. The charts for 2009-2010 also show the piracy rates for the wii and Xbox 360. While they are high they are completely eclipsed by the downloads on the pc. In 2010 the 5th most pirated PC game was still pirated about 2.5x as much as the Xbox's most pirated game.