Pirates ruining it for the rest of us.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
doggie015 said:
Kopikatsu said:
...But I'm sure that you've seen how people flip the fuck out whenever legislation mentions internet anything. (Patrick Leahy: "Let's make illegal streaming a felony instead of a misdemeanor. It's currently difficult to enforce and the fine used as punishment is negligible compared to the profits generated from illegal streaming making it profitable to essentially bribe the law." Internet: "THEY'RE TRYING TO TAKE AWAY OUR RIIIIIIIIGHTS."...
So you think that SOPA and PROTECT-IP with their unprecedented and unconstitutional scope that violates almost every basic human right defined by the UN is perfectly acceptable?

If that is not what you meant then please clear up what you did mean
`-`. You obviously haven't read S.978. I haven't looked at SOPA yet, but the Protect IP Act is nothing, so I'm going to assume SOPA is nothing as well. Boy who cried wolf and all that.

I already went over why the Protect IP Act is nothing somewhere in this thread and I don't feel like doing it again (Also, it's like midnight here and I have four tests to take tomorrow), so the gist of it is this. The Protect IP Act doesn't make anything illegal. It moves one crime up from being a misdemeanor to being a felony. Such a violation of human rights. How can they live with themselves?

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
It's absolutely never had anything to do with stopping piracy, or punishing pirates. Ever. You can sit around and act huffy all day about how, "Pirates are ruining it for the rest of us.", but it won't ever make it so. I'd argue instead that, "Bend-over consumers are ruining it for the rest of us." because the consumer keeps accepting and rationalizing, do they not?

What it is really about, is a slow-boil of consumers to accept absolutely ASININE measures on the products they buy. It completely destroys the consumer's rights, and quality of product and gives far too much control to the corporations.

It's the total outcome of the "New World", the 'globalization effect'. Instead of armies and huge corporations truly enforcing their rule, they just set everything up so the people police themselves. "Why, we must have this DRM, because.. because pirates. I think it sucks for me, as a consumer, but darnit if it's ever my duty to stick-up for the corporation." Fairly soon it's going to be, "Why are you against having the corporation spy on everything you do online. Do you have something to hide? You shouldn't have been using restricted non-corporate approved websites anyway, that's wrong."

The prisoners guarding themselves. Brilliant concept really, just not so fun for most of us.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I don't think that gamers can really do something about it except stop stealing stuff, but those who do probably have a reason to do it and some are just too greedy or lazy to go to the store and buy it when you can just click on a link and have a game in your hard drive in 30 minutes. I think its just too easy and even more convenient than actualy buying the game, authorities don't really seem to give a crap or their flawed laws prevent them from simply shutting down torrenting websites and punishing the owners, i know several sites that have been around as long as i had internet and they are still happily making money off them.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
There is a reason this subject isn't talked about that much (Any more) on this site. It's because supporting piracy or making a legitimate argument FOR the illegal download of games is a one-way ticket to ban city.

So in response to this thread, I am going to say that this would be less of an issue if you just bought a console to play your games. Most modern games are released for a console and while you don't have quick-keys or a mouse, consoles aren't that hard to adapt to.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Well it does to me... because that student ruined it for the rest of the class. In your example the teacher as the game developer wouldn't know which student did it... which would make their action much more understandable.

The teacher only took their marks away because of the cheating student. If that cheating student wasn't there they wouldn't have done anything.

Your own metaphor proves you wrong.
Not really. In the real world, a teacher who did something like that would be fired. Punishing the innocent to ensure the guilty get theirs is just ridiculous.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
Phlakes said:
Protip: shut down Pirate Bay. You know, have people who can do something about it actually do something about it.

Sure, there'll be massive fucking rage, but that'll blow over eventually.

EDIT: Okay, seriously, people, stop quoting me. I have better things to do with my life than all this-

All what? The image isn't loading for me :p

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Why do I get the unsettling feeling if we don't swallow the SOPA bullshit, then we'll ALL be labeled as pirates sooner or later?

http://dontcensorthenet.com

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Aeshi said:
1. So all they really need to do is host the entire game on said remote server?
That depends on what you mean by "host on remote server".

If by "host" you mean that the game is 'played' on the remote server, and all the user sees is streamed video for the game, then that's shooting yourself in the foot right there, because beyond being a rather expensive measure, most people aren't going to buy a game like that in the first place. That's the perfect way to REMOVE value from your game, which only replaces "Piracy" with "Noone is gonna buy", which isn't going to help things. And the whole concept breaks down if the game happens to be leaked (which IS eventually going to happen if it's that kind of game).

On the other hand, if you by "host" mean that the games content is streamed from the server, then there are ways around that, and hackers are perfectly capable of assembling a working cracked single-player version of the game in that way. It's not something new and it's been tried before.

Bottom line is that preventing players from pirating a single player game is the equivalent of trying to let people have a book they can read but can't copy. At best you can make it hard to copy, but at the end of the day it can ALWAYS be copied, even if it means retyping the whole book themselves.

If it was as simple as you think it is, then companies would already use it. But they don't, because it's not that simple.

Aeshi said:
3. And? Even if they do buy more games the games they buy probably aren't the ones they pirate. What they are doing is basically pirating from company X, giving money to company Y when they buy games from then trying to justify it by saying "well someone still got paid right?"
Noone is talking about justifying piracy here, because pirates don't feel they need to. Unless you end up in court and have to "justify" something in front of a judge, people don't need to justify anything to anyone except themself (as in, the only thing that prevents people from pirating is their own conscience, which is different for every person).

We aren't discussing justification here, we are discussing what companies can do to reduce piracy. Those two things are entirely unrelated.

Aeshi" said:
4. Yes? Yes what?
Yes to as in "Yes it's easier and more convenient" to use Steam than torrents.

I also gave an explanation for it two posts ago. All you need to do is go back and reread it, because you obviously missed it the first time.

Aeshi said:
[5. Can't think of anything to say]
If my point wasn't clear, then allow me to expand: There is plenty of examples of digital entertainment companies that - before massive platforms like Steam was available (or even iTunes/Appstore for Apple, which also sells music and other things than games) - thrived well because of Customer loyalty, even despite of piracy having shown it's face.

Customer loyalty matters a lot. In fact, the "Steam" argument itself isn't really appropriate since Valve allowed third party titles on Steam. There is still a massive difference between what games gets pirated the most, even when comparing steam titles, and while a lot of different factors play in, customer loyalty is a definite concern, and the companies that build it usually thrive well.

Ubisoft is a perfect example of a company that didn't build customer loyalty, and ironically they seem to have more trouble on the PC marked than other developers/publishers (despite the fact that they actually make good games). Mind explaining that?

LiquidQuartz

Nov 21, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I'm sure we have all seen the story on Escapist of The Witcher 2 being pirated 4.5 million times and games companies like Ubisoft saying that PC ports aren't worth it because of the money they lose to piracy.

Shouldn't the legit PC gamers say to the pirates out there that 'Enough is enough'. They are going to ruin our gaming platform with their shenanigans. I personally hate being lumped in with people who steal just because I am a PC gamer.

Please note that I am not talking about second hand sales, I personally think that the consumer should be allowed to treat their own property as just that as long as it doesn't violate the IP and copyright laws. I don't trade in games myself but I can at least see the argument there.

It just surprises me that this subject isn't more discussed among gamers and that pirates and pirating websites are not turned in by actual gamers more often as it is harming what we enjoy.

I guess my discussion value is that 'Do you think gamers should take a bigger responsibility in looking after the integrity of their platform and shunning those that do pirate.'
In all honesty the only games I pirate are incredebly old/rare. IE: Can never find for sale anywhere. I think the main blame lies on music pirates... they started this. But yes I do believe we all hold a responsibility for this.

CodeOrange

Jun 7, 2011
Phlakes said:
Protip: shut down Pirate Bay. You know, have people who can do something about it actually do something about it.

Sure, there'll be massive fucking rage, but that'll blow over eventually.

EDIT: Okay, seriously, people, stop quoting me. I have better things to do with my life than all this-

It's funny because you were pretty much asking for it.

OT: It's impossible to completely stop piracy. It's like telling people to stop stealing from a candy store that's pretty much defenseless.

The solution to this problem, which is primarily the lethargic social lives of gamers, where they won't ever leave their house other than for work, lan parties or if it was on fire has already been found. By being able to purchase games online, there's no need for them to feign laziness.

For the rest of them, either educate and inform them that if they do not purchase copies of games that they do like, that there's a chance that their favorite game studios might become bankrupt, despite pirates being a minority. There's also the fact that there's good games that go largely unnoticed because of gargantuan media whores of games that simply spend too much time in the limelight.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Pandabearparade said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Well it does to me... because that student ruined it for the rest of the class. In your example the teacher as the game developer wouldn't know which student did it... which would make their action much more understandable.

The teacher only took their marks away because of the cheating student. If that cheating student wasn't there they wouldn't have done anything.

Your own metaphor proves you wrong.
Not really. In the real world, a teacher who did something like that would be fired. Punishing the innocent to ensure the guilty get theirs is just ridiculous.
Ummm.... I never said what is in the post. Someone put this text in it. Clicking my name brought me to a very different post.
Ack! Sorry, I must have fucked up and quoted the wrong person. Going to fix it now.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
To be honest, if I decided to pirate software (which I won't), I doubt I would be pirating games that I would have bought in the first place. I'd probably be hurting industries that wouldn't be getting my money one way or another.

I'd never buy a Call of Duty game - mostly because I only play single player games on my consoles and sixty dollars for a two hour campaign is nonsense - but pirating it would seem reasonable.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I'm sure we have all seen the story on Escapist of The Witcher 2 being pirated 4.5 million times and games companies like Ubisoft saying that PC ports aren't worth it because of the money they lose to piracy.

Shouldn't the legit PC gamers say to the pirates out there that 'Enough is enough'. They are going to ruin our gaming platform with their shenanigans. I personally hate being lumped in with people who steal just because I am a PC gamer.

Please note that I am not talking about second hand sales, I personally think that the consumer should be allowed to treat their own property as just that as long as it doesn't violate the IP and copyright laws. I don't trade in games myself but I can at least see the argument there.

It just surprises me that this subject isn't more discussed among gamers and that pirates and pirating websites are not turned in by actual gamers more often as it is harming what we enjoy.

I guess my discussion value is that 'Do you think gamers should take a bigger responsibility in looking after the integrity of their platform and shunning those that do pirate.'
We can't do much about it. Piracy is like a force of nature. All we can do is demand game companies offer more value to their product to help ensure they get sales, and ensure we don't get shafted for what others do. Valve does well in that regards. As does CDProjekt.

Magnicon

Nov 25, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
The fact is that games developers are turning around and saying look we have had enough we are taking it to the consoles where we have a greater degree of control. It is happening right now, not a chicken little reaction...actual fact.

Pirates are to blame for that no one else.
You are lacking such ridiculous volumes of information on this subject that it makes me sick.

Developers are moving more to consoles because more people play video games on them then on PC. It has nothing to do with piracy.

I suggest you spend some time on google and research piracy and the effects it actually has.

You know, instead of just listening to large international corporations that only care about maximizing profits.

Ill help get you started on your research.

A Musician saying piracy is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCkX0KcNwrI

An article of independent game developers explaining why piracy INCREASES SALES.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1184550p1.html

A list of the 10 most pirated movies of all time and how much they made at box office.
http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-movies-of-all-time-111012/

The brilliant Stephen Fry talking about piracy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCk9Cheiqqg

Article about Paulo Coelho, author of "The Alchemist", one of the best selling book of all time explaining that he supports piracy and that it increased his books sales.
http://torrentfreak.com/paulo-coelho-supports-the-pirate-bay-090415/

Lhynn

Oct 7, 2011
meh, 90% of the ilegal downloads are from people that
A) cant afford the game and
B) wouldnt buy it in the first place.

its as simple as that, if someone doesnt pay for a game its because they either dont want to, or they cant, and i know because ive been there. ive bought games that i really wanted to play and downloaded ilegal copies of the one i wasnt all that interested in the first place.

The reason they dont want to release games in the pc market is not because of the pirates... i think jim talked about this in one of his jimquisitions.

If a game is good, it will sell, its as simple as that.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Its a double edged sword here really. Companies that put in DRM, people are going to pirate those games in response to not have to deal with it and then harsher measures are taken and thus more pirates.

Then you got people who can't afford some games in the first place and will just pirate to get them.

I am not going to do anything as a gamer myself to stop piracy (as I have pirated) and I see no reason why anyone should either. Its not going to destroy the industry and you might as well equate it to used game sales.

Overall a huge big meh on the entire subject. I just don't care. Getting something for free rather than spending $60 is always going to be insanely appealing.

felix1942

Sep 8, 2010
here are some quick facts that I believe we all agree on. whenever a developer puts in anti-pirating techniques it either doesn't work or just ends up hurting the consumer.

I mean anyone who pirates a game probably wouldn't get the game even if they could but since they pirate the game the get to experience a new game

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
TokenRupee said:
veloper said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
They do nothing to support for the game designers; same as the pirates don't. As such they can never be considered fans. Should be okay on general gaming forums, but not on fan sites.
But it's still their right to do so. If I don't think a company's game is worth $60 and a store is selling it for half, you'd better believe I'm going to buy it used. It's that kind of attitude that it promoting the whole online pass/$10 crap.

As far as the topic, I'll start doing my part and reporting pirates when I'm not treated like one simply because I would rather buy a used copy of a game than a brand new one without being punished.
Find the gamer instead who was willing to part for it for a $5. That's how such games end up in shops in the first place. Be smarter and skip the middleman atleast. In this day and age of easy communication that shouldn't be too hard for you.
If you're not going to contribute anything, atleast save yourself some real money. Pirates are not at the bottom of the hierarchy in this scenario.