Pissed at my English teacher, justified?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
spartan231490 said:
NightHawk21 said:
spartan231490 said:
renegade7 said:
The prompt for my essay was "Describe how an artwork has influenced your life." So I wrote my paper about how Pokemon Red got me into video games, and how that has influenced my interest in technology. This was last month. I finally get the paper back, having scored an 85%, which ordinarily I'd be okay with but, on the grade sheet, she wrote "The paper was excellently written but video games are not works of art." She said I had not 'followed the directions properly'. I tried making my case but she would not relent. I'm thinking of going to my counselor, since it makes up like half my quarter grade and I'm kind of pissed about being docked points because she disagrees with me on what is, at best, a semantic argument. Should I?
1) Mention that games are recognized by that federal institute
2) Threaten to go over her head
3) Win argument
4) Get better grade
5) ???
6) Profit?
7) Get possibly suspended for threatening a teacher (if you even phrase your "threat" slightly wrong you could get in trouble).
8) Write next assignment and get marked without any leniency most teachers usually mark with and end up with 70%.
9) ***** and complain and watch as nothing gets down because the teacher will cover her ass with rubrics.
10) Right exam and get a 70% losing out on an easy 85% in a class because you thought that starting a feud with a teacher was a good idea.

Let me tell you a story. I went to a Catholic secondary school and in my final year I had a very no bullshit kind of teacher. There was a major assignment (about a quarter of our grade) and he said that for every day it is late you would lose 5-10% (can't remember). A kid who thought he was being clever said you can't do that and you have to accept work submissions even if they are late (up until the day of the exam) and they have to be marked without penalty (there was some weird clause that didn't allow a penalty to be applied). My teacher told the kid he was right, and he would take it up until the time it said in the clause but handing it in late would cause you to lose all of the teacher's goodwill and you would be wishing for that penalty.

So ya go for it. Knock yourself out.
7) wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling a teacher to give you the grade you deserve or you will report her unfair grading practices to the principle. I did it all the time. I even had to go to the principle once. And you know what, I got the grade I deserved every time. I never got in trouble, the teacher did. so just wrong.

8) Again wrong. I've gotten away with it all the time, and I never got a bad grade later because of it either.

9) She can't. It's considered art by the only universal authority on such things(admittedly not that important, but more than enough to win this argument) in this country, she can't cover her ass. So wrong again.

10) Again, did it all the time and got away with it. You shouldn't start a feud over nothing, but when she gives a bs grade for no reason, you need to ask her to give you the grade she deserves, and if she doesn't you need to go over her head to get the grade you deserve.

It's called an empty threat dude, maybe you should stand up for yourself once in a while.

People like you, people who don't stand up for themselves, get walked on for their entire lives, hope you enjoy it.
7) Although I would say that its a dick move, you can go over the teacher's head. The problem arises when you threaten the teacher, which is why I included this "(if you even phrase your "threat" slightly wrong you could get in trouble)"

8) Maybe you got lucky or maybe you were just bright, I cant say, but its different in a highly subjective subject like English as opposed to math.

9) Not sure what kind of school you went to, but all our assignments came with rubrics as do most in university that somewhat explain the mark your given. Problem is the majority of these rubrics are vague and break down 4 levels like this:
Level 1: The essay is fraught with errors.
Level 2: The essay contains a lot of errors.
Level 3: The essay contains some errors.
Level 4: the essay contains little to no errors.
Also I was referring to future assignments no this one is regards to the rubrics, and its impossible to argue this one completely without reading the whole paper and assignment sheet.

10)Good for you, but getting away with something does not make it a good idea. Also as I said, its a pretty subjective subject. I have seen good students get 60s on an essay and others get 80s saying almost the exact same thing on basis of writing style and format alone. A lot of english is presentation and you must be delusional to think that if a teacher really wanted to they would have trouble finding marks to take off.

"It's called an empty threat dude, maybe you should stand up for yourself once in a while."
Like I said you would have to be delusional to think that a teacher would have trouble taking off marks on an essay if they wanted to.

"People like you, people who don't stand up for themselves, get walked on for their entire lives, hope you enjoy it."

Thanks, I do. Finished high school 2 years ago, had a university admission average of 97% and that was composed of 12U Bio, Physics, Chem, Calculus, English, and Functions, of which my lowest mark was English at like 95%. Got into every school I applied to, which included McMaster, UBC and 3 other others, getting the highest academic scholarship possible to each one, and even a long distance phone call from UBC congratulating me on being in the top 100 applicants and asking me personally to come to their school. Then in first year I got another pretty decent average getting into arguably the most competitive 2nd year science program at the school, and with any luck Ill get into the the 3rd year coop version of my course which accepts a total of 5-8 applicants. So ya, apart from the work, Id say Im enjoying my life pretty well right now.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
ike42 said:
If you want to go with the argument that some video-games aren't art because they have crappy stories and/or graphics then you should look up the form of art called Dada. Basically it's taking any object and displaying it as art. One guy even took a toilet, signed his name on it and put it in a gallery. The truth is that all video-games are art in that they are part of an art-form. Some, like Pokemon are just crappy art. I would use this same argument to say that all novels are art, even terrible ones like Twilight.
Except I don't want to make that argument. I want to argue that it isn't art, because there is nothing to be gotten out of it nor was it skillfully done. I looked up Dada and most of it was just stuff that was so bad it was good(the rest just seem like it tried to do that but failed). The games that aren't art are just bad. Even to begin with I didn't want to argue on here what is and isn't art. I just wanted to give advice and maybe play a little devil's advocate along the way to help OP see from his teacher's perspective.

I also have already touched on this point in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.320382-Pissed-at-my-English-teacher-justified?page=5#13089125>this post.