Pixel Piracy Creators Pirate Their Own Game

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Strazdas said:
Legality is not a single line. There are appropriate punishment for appropriate crimes (unless were talking piracy, where according to law it deserves more punishment than murder by rape).

You are looking for logic in regulation created by monopolistic content holders for thier own subjective gain. There is no logic behind antipiracy laws. The tendency is for them to get even more crazy as time goes by (as proven by the "we havent made enough money of mickey mouse yet" act that extended copyright to life+95 years.
Might I ask what are you referring to?
In my country copyright is extended only 75 years after death of the author
Also why 95, why not 100? 100 makes a bit more sense (from mathematical point of view).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
blackrave said:
Strazdas said:
Legality is not a single line. There are appropriate punishment for appropriate crimes (unless were talking piracy, where according to law it deserves more punishment than murder by rape).

You are looking for logic in regulation created by monopolistic content holders for thier own subjective gain. There is no logic behind antipiracy laws. The tendency is for them to get even more crazy as time goes by (as proven by the "we havent made enough money of mickey mouse yet" act that extended copyright to life+95 years.
Might I ask what are you referring to?
In my country copyright is extended only 75 years after death of the author
Also why 95, why not 100? 100 makes a bit more sense (from mathematical point of view).
Your profile says you live in Antarctica, it has no copyright laws.
In US it used to be life+25 [http://old.cni.org/docs/infopols/US.Universal.Copyright.Conv.html]
Then it turned to 50 years after publication, then recently as Mickey Mouse was about to enter public domain a bunch of Hollywood studios lobbied in the law that extended (and allowed backward copyright claim even for works already in public domain!) and now it is life+70 or 95 after publication. Why 95.... good question, but ive seen a few countries use that.
Their main argument was that mickey mouse entering public domain would no longer allow thme to hold monopolic strnagehold on mickey mouse character and thus ruin american culture (no, seriously). It was good enough argument to rob libraries of 45 years of art.
you cna see the long list here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_lengths

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Strazdas said:
Your profile says you live in Antarctica, it has no copyright laws.
Outrageous claim. How else penguins could protect their intellectual property :D

In US it used to be life+25 [http://old.cni.org/docs/infopols/US.Universal.Copyright.Conv.html]
Then it turned to 50 years after publication, then recently as Mickey Mouse was about to enter public domain a bunch of Hollywood studios lobbied in the law that extended (and allowed backward copyright claim even for works already in public domain!) and now it is life+70 or 95 after publication. Why 95.... good question, but ive seen a few countries use that.
Their main argument was that mickey mouse entering public domain would no longer allow thme to hold monopolic strnagehold on mickey mouse character and thus ruin american culture (no, seriously). It was good enough argument to rob libraries of 45 years of art.
you cna see the long list here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_lengths
Interesting.
I wonder, what if US extends period more and more, will there be a time when other countries will refuse to accept this law?
For example I've never heard about anyone paying anything to ancestors of Homer when Iliad or Odyssey was used
Extreme example, I know, but it might be where this copyright law is heading.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
blackrave said:
IceForce said:
It's actually a well-known fact that the contributors/staff here actually don't have to follow the same rules as everyone else.
There's even a clause in the forum rules that says so.
Oooh delicious double standards :D
On the other hand if staff tends to stick for a long time, so if they would be held up to same rules, they eventually would get permabanned (just inevitable fact that during 5+ years of regular posts one will definitely post 8 posts worth of warning)
I was here for 3 and a half years and got 2/3rds of my 30k posts without a single warning before I became a mod.

It's possible to follow the rules for 5+ years and not get a single infraction.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
TimeLord said:
blackrave said:
IceForce said:
It's actually a well-known fact that the contributors/staff here actually don't have to follow the same rules as everyone else.
There's even a clause in the forum rules that says so.
Oooh delicious double standards :D
On the other hand if staff tends to stick for a long time, so if they would be held up to same rules, they eventually would get permabanned (just inevitable fact that during 5+ years of regular posts one will definitely post 8 posts worth of warning)
I was here for 3 and a half years and got 2/3rds of my 30k posts without a single warning before I became a mod.

Maybe, if you're extremely polite and/or boring.
My 3/5 of my warnings came from jokes
And I'm sure remaining 3 will come for same reason :/

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
blackrave said:
Interesting.
I wonder, what if US extends period more and more, will there be a time when other countries will refuse to accept this law?
For example I've never heard about anyone paying anything to ancestors of Homer when Iliad or Odyssey was used
Extreme example, I know, but it might be where this copyright law is heading.
Well the period keeps being extended more and more now as production gets older and methods of delivery gets more widespread (in the 30s movies were shown at theaters and thats it. your movie is done it will not be sold again. Yet 80 years later we now buy 30s movies on DVDs or online streaming. back then they didnt think the movie would ever last 25 years to begin with. That is not to say its good that they are increasing the time. On the contrary, while i agree that some profit should be allowed for the author (author, not record company or publishers interest) that needs protecting, its not 95 years, its not 50 years, its not even 25 years. 10-15 Years would be more appropriate. If you dont break even in 15 years then what you produced is really not something people are going to be going after anyway and there is no point on denying world of culture any longer.

TimeLord said:

Nonsense! everyone knows you used your modly powers to brainwash us into thinking you never had a warning!
I kid of course, thats sort of thing is truly commendable knowing how strict mods are here. Also awesome nickname :)