Pizza?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
davidmc1158 said:
My go-to for pizza is a 'take and bake' chain called Papa Murphy's. Specifically, their gourmet chicken garlic. It's made with a white garlic sauce base instead of marinara so my acid reflux will leave me be (and it's just damn tasty anyway).
A fellow Murphyite! It's my go-to place for pizza as well, especially since I live literally two blocks away from one. The chicken garlic is indeed very good, though I have a soft spot for their cowboy pizza.

*drools*

Another notable pizza joint is Woodstock's. The crust is a bit tough, but their sauce is excellent. It's a great place to go when you're on the town with friends.

In all honesty, I'll eat all kinds of pizza. Just not Chuck E. Cheese's. Even when I was a six-year old kid I knew that stuff was poison. That cardboard swill can fuck right off.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
One of my favorites is from a local pizza shop, and it's called a nutty bleu pig. It has bacon, chopped onions, spinach, mushrooms, mozzarella and blue cheese, topped with crushed pecans. Always buy from locally owned companies. The pizza is always better because the cooks have to work harder to retain customers.

The worst pizza I ever had - breakfast pizza from Casey's. Eggs and sausage, on pizza. Just nasty. I wanted to have a coronary after one bite just to erase the memory of it.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Anyone who wants pineapple in one should have their citizenship and passports rescinded and exiled into the wilderness until they learn to admit thd truth. That being that PINEAPPLE DOES NOT BELONG IN PIZZA
NOR IN ANY OTHER WARM FOODS EITHER!!!!!

Oct 2, 2012
I'm from New Jersey, my family only ever ordered chain pizza when our local place was closed for whatever reason, or we had to get a lot of pizza for a lot of guests and didn't wanna spend a fortune.

I'm pretty bland when it comes to my tastes in pizza though. I like extra cheese and extra sauce mostly. I then cover each slice in so much garlic that it starts to burn my mouth.
When I'm feeling slightly more sophisticated I love to eat it topped with peppers and onions.

I've recently moved to Texas and nobody around here knows how to make a good pizza (or bagels)! It's infuriating! So everyone down here just orders from chains with truly outrageous amounts of toppings to make up for the low quality D:

Someone send help, please.
And by help I mean a pizzeria owner from New York, New Jersey, or Chicago.
Please.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I'm a purist, i ONLY like marguerita pizza and it horrifies me when people put junk on it D:

Favorite pizza has been from some specific pizza van in Marseilles, something i miss tons now that i live in London. There's kebab vans, fish and chip vans, but have yet to see a pizza van.

If we are going to talk of the big pizza change...
I used to like Papa Johns and in particular their cheese bite but they changed their formula (the sauce i think) and i find it disgusting now.
Dominoes better but i prefer Pizza hut, i like their garlic crust.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Saelune said:
Im a New Yorker. I dont even know why chain pizza is allowed here.
NJ resident here. I know that feels. I used to joke at work back when I worked in CA that we had so many M&P pizzerias out here that they fight over territory like east coast and west coast gangs.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Big pizza afficienado here. Ever since I've started making it myself, I cant seem to appreciate the pizza sauce from any chain restaurant. What I usually like to do is make up a big batch of it with grated onions, garlic and chipotles to freeze.

Anyone try making their own deep dish? Seriously, I seldom wonder why I ever cook anything else. The only thing I cant really beat pizza hut on is the crust, I try my hardest, even roll garlic butter into it (garlic makes everything awesome), dunno what they do but I cant get it as good.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
bartholen said:
Anyone who wants pineapple in one should have their citizenship and passports rescinded and exiled into the wilderness until they learn to admit thd truth. That being that PINEAPPLE DOES NOT BELONG IN PIZZA
NOR IN ANY OTHER WARM FOODS EITHER!!!!!
This. So very, very much.

Please people, let us learn to keep our dinners and desserts independent of one another.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I, too, have recently enjoyed my fill of delicious pizza pie.

It was hand-tossed, with garlic-glazed crust, pepperoni, extra cheese, and beef bits. I personally wanted to eat a chicken dish, so they just threw in some chicken as an extra topping.

This kindness was well received by me.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Neverhoodian said:
davidmc1158 said:
My go-to for pizza is a 'take and bake' chain called Papa Murphy's. Specifically, their gourmet chicken garlic. It's made with a white garlic sauce base instead of marinara so my acid reflux will leave me be (and it's just damn tasty anyway).
A fellow Murphyite! It's my go-to place for pizza as well, especially since I live literally two blocks away from one. The chicken garlic is indeed very good, though I have a soft spot for their cowboy pizza.

*drools*
Their Mediterranean Herb Chicken had been my favorite, until they added the Fennel sausage pizza. Murphy's has chain-pizza places beat hands down. But...

I live about 2 blocks from the second best local Italian joint in town. And everything else is just garbage by comparison. The only things I hate on pizza is onion and pepperoni. And even though Murphy's is the best chain pizza, the local joint by my house make a onion and pepperoni pizza that's better than anything on the Murphy's menu.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Home made pizza is the best.
Making the dough myself and throwing on several kilos of stuff with LOADS of cheese....
damn, now I got hungry -.-

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
While at Lejeune, one person introduced me to putting Ranch on pizza. Another, Sriracha.
Now, when I have home-made pizza, I use a Ranch/Sriracha sauce base, instead of tomato sauce.

The best pizza I had was when I visited my friend in Chicago. I don't care if people want to whine about it being a casserole, it's better than anything I had in New York.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Pizza? Yes. All kinds, including the ones with anjovies, although I'd say pizza tonno is my favorite.

Not chain pizza tho, unless there's nothing else available. Most larger towns and cities have at least one independent/m&p pizzeria though, mostly napolitan or sicilian style. I've got one in my town that's very good, and popular enough that during certain hours you can just forget about getting a table without making reservations several days ahead. Their pizza is worth it tho and they also have a wide variety of other excellent Italian dishes on the menu (so, actually more a proper Italian restaurant than a pizzeria).

I also like making them myself. With think crusts that are crunchy on the outside, but fluffy on the inside.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Pizza is so good. I don't eat dairy, except when I have pizza. Fake cheese is just not good, and I will deal with the farts occasionally to get that pizza deliciousness.

I like fully loaded pizzas. If I make one at home, I will put pretty much everything on, all the veges, all the meats. Sometimes I'll just say fuck it and decide to fold it and make a calzone (all that stuff has a tendency to fall off).

It is hard to say what the best pizza I had was. When I was in Cuba, I had an amazing pizza at a local restaurant (there were geckos on the wall! Cool). The crust was so crispy, and yet it was airy! I think they probably only had pepperoni and cheese, but it was good. I think it was in Cardenas (I forget where, the name escapes me, Cardenas seems too close to Varadero).

Little Caesars was always my fave chain.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I love Pizza but I sometimes feel like I love the wrong kinds of Pizza but it could be because I surround myself with people with awful tastes in pizza. I don't like stuffed crust unless there's meat stuffed in there with the cheese. Otherwise that extra cheese is just too much for me. As for toppings, meat. I love meat pizzas! Thick, meat pizzas if you please: Domino's Deep Dish, three-cheese, ground beef and, bacon (I know it as a Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza) it's perhaps my favorite of favorites. If you are interested in ruining a pizza, just add Green Peppers. Even the scent of those bastards can make a good pizza go bad for me. An odd combination I like: thin crust with black olives and bacon.

I really want some pizza but the only pizza we have in the house at the moments is left-over from the weekend: ranch instead of marinara sauce, onion and sausage I think...it's just...it just isn't good, even when it was fresh. It was Papa Johns which has a nice crust but without marinara sauce I just can't eat it. I would really like some Little Ceasars since it's inexpensive and nice. There's another pizza place nearby too that sells by the slice but they're closed on Monday for some reason! So I missed out on Pizza today.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I love pizza but I feel the need to make it myself. I can't add meats because I'm vegetarian but that's fine with me.

If you're wondering about the toppings, one half contains pineapples, jalepenos, onions and green peppers while the other has the standard tomato basil.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Okay first of all
Little Caesars is not pizza. Its not even approaching the No Man's Sky galaxy that pizza exists in. Little Caesar's is a dough based grease sponge covered in edible caulk and wrapped in bacon.

As a kid the only pizza there was for me in the world was from a place called Papa's Pizza. I don't know if they are a huge chain as I only know of 2 locations but they are over 100 miles apart in Oregon so maybe? Ok well there was Chucky Cheese but I only ever went there maybe 3 times and I don't remember if I had any pizza. I DO remember they had a wide assortment of different flavored honey candy sticks. Essentially honey and flavoring in a wax pixy stick sized tube.

Anyways back to Papa's Pizza. I don't know if they deliver, as we always ate there. We lived right by it. To this day they have the best crust and among the top sauces I've ever had. The crust was actually cripsy. It was maybe a little thicker than cracker thin but nowhere near as thick as say Papa John's. A good pizza has to crunch when you bite into it at least when its still fresh.

The sauce had two key things above most others. You could actually see it and you could actually taste it. It was thick, and red, and a little spicy. If you took off the cheese and toppings, you would only see crust around the damn edge unlike literally ever pizza chain I've ever seen besides Roundtable. Idk about where you are but the Papa Murphy's around here like to sprinkle a delicate watery red or white Pollack painting on the crust probably no more than 2 tablespoons worth for an entire large pizza. Its outrageous because on the rare occasion you get someone to make one like they USED to, then their sauces are pretty good. The garlic one in particular. But much like their chicken, their overall quality has dropped in the last 6 years.

Papa John's may not have the best crust, or the best sauce, but they are both more than adequate. The addition of side pepporoncini and garlic dipping sauce does a lot to raise the bar though. Their price and toppings are also better than average. All in all a solid 7.

And 7 is the number of toppings I used to get on a large pizza for only $10 delivered (at additional charge) when I ordered from them online.

While Roundtable is the best chain out there, they are also more than twice the price of any of their competitors with less than a third of their locations around here so they are never an option.

Pizza Hut has good pasta.

Dominos..still exists?

Trader Joe's has a goat cheese pizza that isn't terrible, or cheese covered.

CostCo has great pizza, though I've only had the Margarita.

The only other pizzas I've had are from local places that no one would have ever been to, but they basically share the good crust and good sauce philosophy made with wood fires.

I consider Calzones to also be good for when you want to make an absolute pig out of yourself.

As for frozen pizzas, I'll eat Tony's. I will NOT eat pretty much any others due to them being 95% crust as thick as your keyboard and just as appealing. Its not delivery, its disgusting.

As for toppings, apart from like a taco pizza or a chicken garlic, I consider pepperoni to be mandatory. Even if its the only topping.

I used to get pepperoni, olives, sausage, sundried tomatoes, roasted garlic, green peppers, and mushrooms or regular tomatoes. If I had to pick only 3 I'd get pepperoni, pineapple, and olives. Then I put sriracha on it, or bluecheese dressing, or hummus.

I don't really eat pizza much anymore though.

One fun fact is that I've never had anchovies on a pizza. I've ordered them, several times, and I've been given a coupon for a free pizza each time from Papa Johns because they are always "out of stock." I don't think they even stock them at least not around here.