Planetary Annihilation at 90$ on Steam

OneSpiran

May 15, 2011
http://steamcommunity.com/games/233250/announcements/detail/1658730021561594175

https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

They are selling the same product for the same price, any other way would be awful.

"Our pricing for this stage of early access was determined by our Kickstarter. The stages of our early access for ALL users, which was determined during our Kickstarter, is:

June through August: $90 for early alpha access, during the time where we're still locking down features and making tweaks to the flow of the game. This access is permanent access - you will be able to play through alpha, beta and on through retail. (Galactic Edition Equivalent with all addons)

September through November: $60 for beta access. The game will be much more complete at this time, but with a lot of balance work still to do and more optimizations to get it working on as many systems as possible. Same as above, this is beta and turns into a retail version on launch. (Warfare edition equivalent with all addons)

Retail: December 2013 (Combat edition equivalent)

This is the pricing determined over a year ago. Our Kickstarter set these levels, and while we understand people may not like it, it's the decision we had to make.

But that is the schedule if you want to wait until the price drops to a level you're more comfortable with.

Thanks,
Garat / Marc Scattergood
Producer, Uber Entertainment"

(Galactic Edition Equivalent with all addons)
(Warfare edition equivalent with all addons)

With all addons. It's the same thing for the same price, minus the Progenitor early support exclusive commander.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
$90 is the tier on Kickstarter that allowed alpha access. Why should random stragglers on Steam get a better deal than the people who allowed the game to be made in the first place? They shouldn't.

You don't want access, then move along. The final game will be much cheaper. Or you can skip it entirely.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Wouldn't be fair for the people who paid $90 o
Why not? Unless i'm mistaking a kickstarter is about donating for a project you want to see happen. The bonuses you get are just that, bonuses. Is it fair that someone who donated 500k $ for the construction of a building also gets his name on a plate like the guy who donated 1 mill $?

It is perfectly fine to grant early access for a lower price. As long as they give the pledgers what they were told they'd get.

$90 is the tier on Kickstarter that allowed alpha access. Why should random stragglers on Steam get a better deal than the people who allowed the game to be made in the first place? They shouldn't.
Because those who invested 90$ did so knowing what they'd get. They obviously wanted to throw their money at epic. It is perfectly fine for people to not think asking 90$ for early access is a good pricing.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
$90 was the reward tier that allowed backers on kickstarter to get alpha access. So what I'm imagining the devs are doing is offering the same access to those who missed the kickstarter but at the same price so the price for access to the alpha is fair all round.

Tohron said:
$90 is the price they set for alpha access on Kickstarter. If that's too much for you, then you can just wait - nobody's forcing you to pay that much. And, as others have said, it would be unfair to those who backed it at $90+ on Kickstarter to let those who joined in at a later point get the same reward for less money.
Beat me to it. Essentially this.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
generals3 said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Why not? Unless i'm mistaking a kickstarter is about donating for a project you want to see happen. The bonuses you get are just that, bonuses. Is it fair that someone who donated 500k $ for the construction of a building also gets his name on a plate like the guy who donated 1 mill $?

It is perfectly fine to grant early access for a lower price. As long as they give the pledgers what they were told they'd get.
It's also perfectly fine for them not to.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Keith K said:
That's your opinion. I obviously disagree. The idea of paying up to alpha/beta test is ludicrous imho. Soon we're going to pay pharmaceutical companies to test their drugs?

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
generals3 said:
Keith K said:
That's your opinion. I obviously disagree. The idea of paying up to alpha/beta test is ludicrous imho. Soon we're going to pay pharmaceutical companies to test their drugs?
If that's a reasonable parallel to you, I don't feel the need to debate it.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Keith K said:
generals3 said:
Keith K said:
If that's a reasonable parallel to you, I don't feel the need to debate it.
Not a parallel, a reductio ad absurdo. You know, if we keep pushing this trend that's where we'll get. I'm sorry but beta and alpha testers usually have to work, yes those bugs don't report themselves and playing a buggy version isn't all that fun. Actually i'm going to say that asking people to pay extra to test is probably the best way to get the worst testers out there because they obviously don't realize alpha and beta tests aren't all about the fun. (because who would pay extra money to work)

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
generals3 said:
Assassin Xaero said:

Because those who invested 90$ did so knowing what they'd get. They obviously wanted to throw their money at epic. It is perfectly fine for people to not think asking 90$ for early access is a good pricing.
I'm beginning to think this is another case of "people will ***** about anything". If they would have made it cheaper, it would have been unfair for the people on Kickstarter, if they didn't, now people are saying that they should get it cheaper... for... I don't know.

They aren't paying to beta test, they are paying for early access. I know from experience that the vast majority of people who want to test levels I made for a game before they were out just said "yeah, it was good" and that was all they gave for feedback.

Crozekiel

Jun 14, 2013
Except that people putting money into Kickstarter know (or should know) that they are taking a risk putting in that money in the hopes that the product in question will be developed. They are purposely funding the development of the game, not purchasing it. There is a major difference between the two acts.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I'm beginning to think this is another case of "people will ***** about anything". If they would have made it cheaper, it would have been unfair for the people on Kickstarter, if they didn't, now people are saying that they should get it cheaper... for... I don't know.
Why would it have been unfair for the people on kickstarter? They gave a donation to get a game developed and got some little bonuses for it. They're basically extremely cheap investors. They got what they paid for. The people who purchase the game now pay money to buy the game, not to be charitable and get a game developed. There is a huge difference.

It's a shame though, i'm an RTS fan and the game looked interesting but i won't condone such pricing policies and will thus not buy the game. (yes i'm one of those few people who put their euros where their mouth is)

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
DrOswald said:
Dead Century said:
Wow. It's a bit much. For an early access game. I don't really understand the reasoning behind that price. The funding on kickstarter was met. $900,000 goal, and $2,229,344 was received. I could buy a decent number of other games for 90 bucks.
The reason for the price is because people who paid $90 during the kickstarter get to access to the game at this point. Had they made it less then they would essentially be screwing over the people who were their early supporters. They are basically extending their kickstarter campaign with this price point. From what I understand, it will get down to about $40 when it actually releases.
Oh, okay. Well, that makes more sense. I agree it wouldn't be right to set a lower price on steam at this point. Best way to go would be to just get the alpha from the kickstarter instead of steam. There's also a pre-order page on their website.

40 bucks for the Combat edition.
60 for the Warfare edition.
90 for the Galactic edition and early access.
200 for the Cosmic edition and early access.

https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
generals3 said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Why would it have been unfair for the people on kickstarter? They gave a donation to get a game developed and got some little bonuses for it. They're basically extremely cheap investors. They got what they paid for. The people who purchase the game now pay money to buy the game, not to be charitable and get a game developed. There is a huge difference.
They paid $90 to get access to the alpha/beta before the game was out. Now if it is on Steam for $50 and you get the same access, it would be unfair. The game is still in alpha, it isn't out yet. If people on Steam want to get it in the alpha phase, they pay the same price as they would on Kickstarter, which is completely fair.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Assassin Xaero said:
generals3 said:
Assassin Xaero said:

They aren't paying to beta test, they are paying for early access. I know from experience that the vast majority of people who want to test levels I made for a game before they were out just said "yeah, it was good" and that was all they gave for feedback.
They're not saying that they deserve to get it cheaper, merely that selling an unfinished game for $90 is a dumb idea. In the same way, the people who backed it on kickstarter don't have a moral right to get the game cheaper, or at least at the same price as those who didn't back early. It would only be unfair to them if they were told that they were paying for extra access and that everyone else would have to pay as much, and then the game was sold for cheaper despite this- and even then I'd not be so sure.
In the end though, as all of this never happened in the first place, it's merely a convenient 'what if' scenario, nobody is being ripped off without knowing it, and the question is ultimately pointless.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
They paid $90 to get access to the alpha/beta before the game was out. Now if it is on Steam for $50 and you get the same access, it would be unfair. The game is still in alpha, it isn't out yet. If people on Steam want to get it in the alpha phase, they pay the same price as they would on Kickstarter, which is completely fair.
But what people paid on kickstarter is totally irrelevant because it's not the same thing at all. When you pay up in kickstarter you're acting like donator meanwhile if you purchase the game you're a buyer. Why should a buyer have to pay the same amount of money to get certain advantages as a donator? They both paid money in different stages and for different reasons.

Crozekiel

Jun 14, 2013
Assassin Xaero said:
They paid $90 to get access to the alpha/beta before the game was out. Now if it is on Steam for $50 and you get the same access, it would be unfair. The game is still in alpha, it isn't out yet. If people on Steam want to get it in the alpha phase, they pay the same price as they would on Kickstarter, which is completely fair.[/quote]

You keep approaching this like Kickstarter is a store. It isn't. Its a virtual corner where people can ask for money. Nobody purchases ANYTHING on kickstarter. There is absolutely no guarantee of anything when you pledge to kickstarter. It is a place for one person to GIVE money to someone in the hopes they do something great with it. The fact that they give you a bunch of extras is just them being nice. The fact that you get EXCLUSIVE extras for being a kickstarter backer that you CANNOT get through steam, and might still be upset that you paid more is asinine in itself, not to mention that you weren't purchasing a game through kickstarter, you were sending a game developer money and HOPING they would make a game you want to play.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
*shrug* It's their game, they can charge $900 if they want to. We'll just decide whether to buy it or not accordingly.

Looks like a cool game. I'll be sure to pick it up once it goes down to a reasonable price.

Crozekiel

Jun 14, 2013
Also, the idea that "I paid this much for a thing, so everyone else should have to also." is entitled ridiculousness... At any point with normal consumer transactions, you can purchase a thing not knowing about an upcoming sale, and then someone else has just purchased the same thing for considerably less within a month of you. You can't make a purchase based on what other people will pay in the future, and you can't complain if someone else got it cheaper. You make decisions to purchase based on what you get for the money and if you feel its worth it. If you decided it was, then someone else gets it cheaper a month later, you can't really blame anyone but yourself.

Again though, that is with normal consumer transactions, which kickstarter is not...