Planetary Annihilation Dev Launches Apocalyptic RPG Kickstarter

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
zumbledum said:
those Lovecraftian plushies made me laugh so hard i thought the game was a joke until about halfway.

Guess im the only one happy with PA , yeah its got some issues but its giving me fun
I don't think anyone's arguing that PA is fun, but Uber didn't put in all the features that promised. And the $90 Early Access Alpha price was a joke.

No offline Single Player is a huge negative as well.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
zumbledum said:
those Lovecraftian plushies made me laugh so hard i thought the game was a joke until about halfway.

Guess im the only one happy with PA , yeah its got some issues but its giving me fun
I don't think anyone's arguing that PA is fun, but Uber didn't put in all the features that promised. And the $90 Early Access Alpha price was a joke.

90$ early access? Ouch.

I'm hearing a lot of bad things but for 15$, I might give PA a try anyway. At least there may be a chance for future updates to fix things.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
I've never touched planetary annihilation and after seeing that trailer I definitely wanted to back it. But seeing all these comments is very eye opening. I think I'll have to give a miss this time, shame too its a nice idea.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Gundam GP01 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
zumbledum said:

Zydrate said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
zumbledum said:

90$ early access? Ouch.

I'm hearing a lot of bad things but for 15$, I might give PA a try anyway. At least there may be a chance for future updates to fix things.
The 90 dollar early access thing was meant to keep kickstarter backers from feeling like they got ripped off.
And I cant totally see why. In order to get backer access to the game at that particular point in development, you had to back the project for 90 bucks.
And if you wanna buy the game in steam early access at that same point, you have to pay the same as a backer did.
It's really not as evil as everyone seems to be implying.
Them making the the game's Early Access $60 when the game went from Alpha to Beta was still a pretty bold move considering the game's $30 now. Not calling Uber evil here, just saying they really shot themselves in the foot with how they handled PA. To do another Kickstarter after releasing PA as "complete" when it doesn't have its promised features is also pretty scummy. It pretty much shows that Uber was trying to squeeze money out of the crowd of people who bought in early, making whatever the entry price to buy it unjustified at any price.

They pretty much screwed their Kickstarter backers the hardest in all this.

Duffy13

May 18, 2009
I feel like a dissenting opinion is needed: PA is fun as hell and delivers exactly the game-play I was pitched. Some of the technical issues range from annoying to sucking, but they are far from unique to PA and I rarely end up caring or noticing them.

HostileParadox

Apr 25, 2011
Backed, love the idea.
Uber is my favorite Indie developer :)
And $50 in SMNC currency, sweet.
Hopefully if this goes well, they can make MNC2 for their next KickStarter :D

Sep 9, 2007
AzrealMaximillion said:
zumbledum said:

They're working on it. Offline single player launched yesterday [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts/1009547?ref=dash] and they're working on the online server code now, so that the players will be able to host their own online games. The timing hasn't been ideal, I know, but its way too early to cry out that they've abandoned the game, surely?

(Edited for clarity)

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The Eupho Guy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
zumbledum said:

They're working on it. Offline single player launched yesterday [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts/1009547?ref=dash] and they're working on the online server code now, so that the players will be able to host their own online games. The timing hasn't been ideal, I know, but its way too early to cry out that they've abandoned the game, surely?

(Edited for clarity)
Let me say firstly, offline being added is a great first step. Secondly, I myself never said that Uber was abandoning the game. What I'm personally talking about is the way that Uber released PA as a finished product when they haven't put in all of the features their Kickstarter promised as well as the poor design choices they made.

I'm saying they handled PA very poorly, and Uber launching another Kickstarter that's qouted as calling PA a "critically acclaimed" game when the community and the reviewers have said anything but should leave a bad taste in the mouths of anyone who gave Uber money.

Sep 9, 2007
AzrealMaximillion said:
The Eupho Guy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
zumbledum said:

(Edited for clarity)
Let me say firstly, offline being added is a great first step. Secondly, I myself never said that Uber was abandoning the game. What I'm personally talking about is the way that Uber released PA as a finished product when they haven't put in all of the features their Kickstarter promised as well as the poor design choices they made.

I'm saying they handled PA very poorly, and Uber launching another Kickstarter that's qouted as calling PA a "critically acclaimed" game when the community and the reviewers have said anything but should leave a bad taste in the mouths of anyone who gave Uber money.
First of all, I should apologise. I didn't mean to imply that you thought the game was being abandoned. It was meant as a generalised observation, but it really should've been in a separate post.

Secondly, yeah, Uber has dropped the ball pretty hard with PA on a number of occasions. Its still a decent product, but I wonder how much better it would've been received if they had gotten their shit together in the first place, or at least communicated better when they would be released. I've just had a quick look through the backer updates, and there has been precious little in the way of updates regarding offline and private servers in the month or so leading up to release and the only announcement about offline after launch was the one I linked before. I've backed Human Resources, but only for the game, not anything extra.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Without getting into Uber's practices as a company, Human Resources is the exact opposite of what I want in a game. I don't want humans as resources, I want humans as heroes. Planetary Annihilation is the same - an interplanetary RTS would be right up my alley, but not when it's about nothing but robots.