Planetside 2 Adds User-Generated Missions In August

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Planetside 2 Adds User-Generated Missions In August

In a stroke of development genius, Sony Online Entertainment is offering players the chance to expand the content in Planetside 2.

Massively multiplayer online games live and die based on their wealth of content. MMO players are a rabid bunch that will tear through a game as quickly as its developers can add new elements, so those companies who enter the MMO space need to be prepared to update and improve their games at a constant rate. Alternately, you could take the same tack as Sony Online Entertainment and simply give players the tools to build their own content.

At some as-yet-unspecified point in the month of August, an update will be released for Planetside 2 that allows players who meet certain in-game requirements to generate missions for their fellow gamers. According to the game's developers, these missions will be available only at certain points in the title's virtual world, and on completion these tasks will award extra experience compared to the standard, Sony-crafted missions that debuted alongside Planetside 2.

What kinds of missions will be available? Sony covers that in a recent blog post:

An example mission might look something like one of these:

Air Strikes at location
XP bonus to ground kills/assists while in aircraft at this location.
Greatly increased gunner XP bonus (for Lib Pilots)
Greatly increased XP bonus for Sunderer kills.

Deployment to location
Large XP increase to deploy-bonuses.
Large XP increase to AMS spawn bonuses.
XP bonus for repairs to any deployment vehicle (Galaxy & Sunderer)
XP bonus to squad-deploy bonuses
Increased weight on Instant-action values

That quote makes a lot more sense if you're a Planetside 2 player, but the key takeaway here is that, while rudimentary, the user-generated missions system about to be introduced to the game should offer a variety of goals for players to throw at one another.

We'll bring you more once Sony Online Entertainment decides on an official launch date for this new gameplay system. Stay tuned.

Source: Sony Online Entertainment [https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/august-player-generated-missions.82992/]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oooh...

Vanu Zerg Rush to Amp Station stat (Lightning Roller ensues)!

Air Strike direction is much needed, without close control (or Team Speak) it can be hard to get Liberators onto the high value targets when the enemy is spread out. A player controlled method of marking or prioritising the mobile spawn points will certainly be useful.

Being able to call on Instant actioners sounds a bit more hit and miss. It could result in cool giant battles flaring up in the way that doesn't happen enough right now, it could also just be a system for automated Zerg Rushes onto targets as players spawn in en mass, which would neutralise the massive armour/air advances that make Planetside so different to other shooters.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Eh I don't really know, I've tried to keep playing but with Matterson so badly messed up I really don't feel like coming back anytime soon.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Honestly we knew about this since SOE put up the roadmap back in... Feburary? Was it?

Though it was pushed back in favor of adding some metagame in time for MLG.

fix-the-spade said:
Oooh...

Vanu Zerg Rush to Amp Station stat (Lightning Roller ensues)!
Mattherson player are you?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
gigastar said:
Mattherson player are you?
Nope, Woodman.

A few days ago we had over a hundred Lightnings, plus Magriders, Sunderers and various flying thingies roaming about Indar steam rollering assets. The amount of rage from TR players was hilarious.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
That sounds like it will increase lifespan a bit, god to see sony is still fine with user generated content.

Commander Obvious

Jun 2, 2013
This sounds like it will be a good but rarely used mechanic. The fights just move around too quickly for this sort of thing to work out, in my opinion.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Star trek online has a mission editor as well, some of the missions made can be damn awesome, looking forward to seeing what PS2 has to offer.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
kajinking said:
Eh I don't really know, I've tried to keep playing but with Matterson so badly messed up I really don't feel like coming back anytime soon.
man i know that feeling I started with mattherson vanu(November) before the merge.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Shuguard said:
kajinking said:
man i know that feeling I started with mattherson vanu(November) before the merge.
Try being NC on Matt, I earned more certs jihading c4 as a light assualt on a tower that was lost than actually shooting VS with guns. The spam is just too much to stop outside of a biolab.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
kajinking said:
Shuguard said:
kajinking said:
Try being NC on Matt, I earned more certs jihading c4 as a light assualt on a tower that was lost than actually shooting VS with guns. The spam is just too much to stop outside of a biolab.
Yea it's pretty bad. I would honestly switch factions for a while, but i spent so much time and certs on my vanu, I really don't want to switch.