Play At Home: 9 free games on PS4/PS5

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
As of right now and until April 22 you can download these from PSN completely free of charge. You don't need a PS+ membership and are yours to keep.

Some good stuff:

ABZÛ
Enter the Gungeon
Subnautica
The Witness

Some VR crap:

Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Moss
Paper Beast
Rez Infinite (works without VR)
Thumper (works without VR)

You can also download Ratchet & Clank (2016) until March 31, and Horizon Zero Dawn will be briefly available starting April 19.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Did Gungeon get good at some point? I remember playing it when came out and it could've been the poster boy for "This is why you never go full RNG", with a loot pool way too full of trash tier weapons (and few if any passives or synergies occurring)

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Aw, I wanted a crack at bringing this. Damn my feeble body's desire for sleep!

I now also have a dozen strong PS4 library. But no PS4, or 5.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
You can claim these without a PS4/5?
I just went onto the PS Website, and downloaded the games.

All you need is a PS account - and as far as I know, you don't need a console to activate an account.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You can claim these without a PS4/5?
What laggyteabag said. If nabbing the games through the PS website doesn't work, you can also do it via the PS android app (what I did).

So yes, you can absolutely get a collection of digital PS4 games without any hardware to actually play them on.

You might argue what the point is, but I'll probably get a PS5 some, and even if I don't, it's free, all I lost was the couple minutes it took.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
all I lost was the couple minutes it took.
I wonder how much more in life I could have achieved if I regained all of the time that I have collectively spent, redeeming free stuff that I will never use.

Probably very little.

Im a very unexciting person.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I wonder how much more in life I could have achieved if I regained all of the time that I have collectively spent, redeeming free stuff that I will never use.

Probably very little.

Im a very unexciting person.
"Yeah, I bet you are", he says, while staring at the 170+ free games in his Epic Store account, of which maybe 10 actually played.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Curious about Subnautica and The Witness. Not sure what to think of the latter’s art style. It looks too washed out and chunky but that could just be the online pictures too.

Biggest plus will be having a digital version of Horizon so I don’t need to keep putting the disc in.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oh cool! Pretty good bag of freebies. Got all except the VR titles and Rez, though both Rez and Thumper are generally both considered highly rated as non-VR titles too. Thumper is a weird one as I am not sure if it counts as music more than it is a sort of vague industrial rhythm, so don't go in expecting any fantastic psy-trance tracks or else you'll be set for a small disappointments.

Been bagging the VR-only titles despite having no intentions of getting VR. It's compulsive hoarding at this point.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Curious about Subnautica and The Witness. Not sure what to think of the latter’s art style. It looks too washed out and chunky but that could just be the online pictures too.

Biggest plus will be having a digital version of Horizon so I don’t need to keep putting the disc in.
I'm curious about those 2 as well. Witness because I really liked Talos Principle and generally like a chill puzzle game with a mystery. Subnautica for apparently being the good kind of survival game. I went through Minecraft/No Man's Sky and looking forward to something similar.

And HZD is a hell of a game to give away for nothing.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I've heard Thumper is good. SGF really liked it anyway.
Thumper's excellent. But it's very, very hard. Absolutely kicks your ass if you're not quick enough for it. But when you get it right, it's quite satisfying.

Thumper is a weird one as I am not sure if it counts as music more than it is a sort of vague industrial rhythm, so don't go in expecting any fantastic psy-trance tracks or else you'll be set for a small disappointments.
It's not really something you'd listen to in the car, no. But I think that suits it. The music is punchy, tense, almost ominous. I feel it really sets a tone

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Playstation.com is down for me. Keeps posting, "Well, that didn't work".