Play DC Universe Online For Free Starting in October

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Is this going to be for the console versions aswell? And will it be a download or will we have to buy a physical copy?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh, okay...

NOW I will play this game. i was one of those who liked the idea in concept but is not willing to pay a monthly fee for it. But I can get into it if it's for free. Why not?

Honestly, it wasn't selling at all but whatever. It's free now.

Now, question(s) time:

-When is CoH gonna be for free? I have heard very little about it but it sounds better than DCUO so far.
-Is it gonna be released on a console ever?
-Could we possibly hope/pray that SW:TOR will be free as well?

See, I like MMOs. But I'm not a millionaire.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Who didn't see this coming? This MASSIVELY DISSAPOINTING GAME will do good as free to play. Shit I might even give it another go. I know calling it dissapointing and then saying I'll play it anyway is stupid like all those Duke Nukem Forever fansluts, but I'm not paying for it and my friends have said its improved since launch.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
In the words of my flatmate: 'I'm not surprised because no one's on it. Like, at all'
I saw this coming too, because NO GAME, NO MATTER HOW GREAT, CAN COMPETE WITH WOW! EVEN WOW CAN'T COMPETE WITH ITSELF NOW!
You never know, Star Wars Old Republic might be able to get some wow players. I know I'm going to it.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Aprilgold said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
In the words of my flatmate: 'I'm not surprised because no one's on it. Like, at all'
I saw this coming too, because NO GAME, NO MATTER HOW GREAT, CAN COMPETE WITH WOW! EVEN WOW CAN'T COMPETE WITH ITSELF NOW!
You never know, Star Wars Old Republic might be able to get some wow players. I know I'm going to it.
WoW= Hot Key MMO
Knights of the Old Republic = A ONLINE GAME!

Yeah, its going to drag people from clicking their bars to a actual game.

Also, it will go Free To Play at some time, just when is the question.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I was tempted to try DCUO when I first heard about it. The first few clips of it I saw were "okay", nothing great but maybe a good time filler.

For some reason my memory seems to have blanked I didn't get it and I am so grateful I didn't.

A friend had it so me and the wife went round for a look to see if it was worth it. He started having a little dabble around and between my fights of laughter and the look of horror on my wifes face at how they could release that shit and hope to charge AND make a lasting profit. It boggles the mind.

It looked cheap. He'd played for about a week, was level capped and had nothing to do.

Even as a free game I don't think i'll waste hard drive space.

City of Heroes is a decent game as is Champions Online (especialy the character creation) so if you want a half decent superhero MMO then try one of those. I just think DCUO will bore most fans of DC.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Definitely gonna check this out. I was never into MMORPG´s , but my love for the DC Universe compels me to give this game a try.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
"SOE insists that this change is not due to a lack of subscribers. "This is the right business model," said Lorin Jameson, an executive producer for SOE. "If I can be honest, the game ended up costing a lot more than we thought it would, and this was our preferred business model from day one."

Then why didn't you start with that business model? Oh I know why, because SOE never had any intention of supporting this title, they simply wished to see how many people would be dumb enough to pay $60 plus another $15 a month for their half-made, barren, exploit-filled beat-um-up, where you spend most of your time doing the grunt work that is beneath the "real" superheros until the number of suckers dwindled.

DonMasterT

Oct 2, 2011
ok here is how I see it and this is the reality all online mmo's are coming to is that in these horribly economic times people are less willing too spend an annual subscription fee for games these days unless you have a large hardcore fanbase like W.O.W your game is not going to make alot of money or get many customers mainly because alot of people just don't have the money to spend for it so be prepared to see even more mmo's go ftp

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Sixcess said:
Meanwhile City of Heroes, the first superhero MMO and a game older than WoW, is only now making the transition to a F2P model after more than 7 years.
Speaking of which, when exactly is that going to happen? I'm wanting to play a F2P MMO for both my Mac and Windows 7, and I love superheroes...so City of Heroes is my game! But I can't find the exact date of the F2P switch......

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Nooners said:
Sixcess said:
Meanwhile City of Heroes, the first superhero MMO and a game older than WoW, is only now making the transition to a F2P model after more than 7 years.
Speaking of which, when exactly is that going to happen? I'm wanting to play a F2P MMO for both my Mac and Windows 7, and I love superheroes...so City of Heroes is my game! But I can't find the exact date of the F2P switch......
City of Heroes finally launched it's F2P/Hybrid model Tuesday last week, so go for it! They've revamped the starting areas and they're looking good, and while there are various restrictions (inevitably) on Free accounts, there's still an insanely wide selection of powersets to pick from... over 100 sets in fact. I highly recommend it.

And if you need a hand getting acclimatised drop me a PM and I'll get in touch ingame if you need any help.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Sixcess said:
Nooners said:
Sixcess said:
City of Heroes finally launched it's F2P/Hybrid model Tuesday last week, so go for it! They've revamped the starting areas and they're looking good, and while there are various restrictions (inevitably) on Free accounts, there's still an insanely wide selection of powersets to pick from... over 100 sets in fact. I highly recommend it.

And if you need a hand getting acclimatised drop me a PM and I'll get in touch ingame if you need any help.
YAY!! Thanks a lot! I might take you up on that offer...what server are you on?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Nooners said:
YAY!! Thanks a lot! I might take you up on that offer...what server are you on?
All of them :)

The huge range of archetypes/classes and powersets encourages a lot of alts, and it's not uncommon for long term players to have dozens of characters, so I play a bit on all of them, well, except for the french and german language servers since I don't speak the language.

It's a good game - long established with absolutely tons of content and a combat system that's been revised and polished for years. I'd recommend it to anyone, and of course now there's literally nothing to lose in doing so.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Do they say anywhere what date specifically they are going to start doing this?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
So...when?

Okay, adding stuff so I won't get reported...

I recently got the game for free (The PS3 hard copy) and I'm kinda eager to play it. They said it would be free around October and it's ready October.

I'm getting impatient.