Play Games for 24 Hours to Support Children's Hospitals

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
So tempted to do this, but probably can't due to screams of "Oh noes the PS3/PC will overheat!"

-Sigh.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Can people from the UK do this? I wouldn't mind helping out. I always have free time these days.

Edit: Nevermind, I found out they have some UK hospitals listed! I'm already signed up now. :D

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I did it last year with a bunch of friends and I plan on doing it again. Even though we all hated everything by the end it was worth it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Meh, in short this is just a fancy way of asking gamers to beg their friends and family for money for charity. It's one thing if they already have sponsors lined up, such as with regular Marathons where a business will pay you to wear their T-shirt or whatever and also gets to promote itself as a sponsor on TV or Radio, this is something else entirely.

They don't even appear to have indirect sponsors who are going to match donations.

Perhaps at some point we'll seriously have gaming for charity, but that won't happen until E-sports seriously take off here, if they ever do.

Maybe I have this wrong, I can only go with how it looks. IMO they should just ask for money straight out, rather than masquerade as if the donation of gaming time actually has some value.

To be honest if I was to run this event I might have better luck by having a "nerd zoo" event. That is to say we set up a glass enclosure full of video gaming stuff for 24 hours in a mall or other public location, and then let the crowds pay money to administer electric shocks, dump water on people, and similar things. Similar to certain fair events. I remember something similar being done years ago minus the gaming equipment. Like it or not, people won't be attracted by nerds and geeks gaming, but let them torment nerds and geeks... well, that's something else entirely. :)

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
I'm in. Already signed up. I can never find anything for people to sponsor me for for charity (too unfit for race for life etc) but THIS I can put my heart and soul in to.

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
I've signed up for this as well, I doubt I'll get many sponsors but every penny counts.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I am so going to do this :] will probably only get donations from family and friends, but I'll consider putting a video updates online or whatever :D

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
These types of things confuse me, what does donating money to this charity have to do with playing games for 24 hours? This same question applies to all charities that revolve around doing some other unrelated activity (I'm looking at you running ಠ_ಠ ). It seems like if I want to donate money I can just donate money. It must be a psychology thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'll do it, I just don't get the concept.

Also, second question, am I allowed to take breaks for things like eating/peeing or should I play wearing a diaper?
It is a psychology thing. It gets people's attention.

Running 30 miles or playing video games for 24 straight hours gets a hell of a lot more buzz than "SOMEONE GIVE ME MONEYZ PLZ!!"

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I'd sure like to get sponsored playing video games... for a charitable cause, my bank balance.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I know this isn't exactly a new idea, but this kind thing always leaves me a bit baffled. People really do strange things to raise money. I know how it works, but I can just never shake the idea that what's happening is that they're asking people to give them money so they can play games all day. They're helping to beat cancer by... sitting on their arse and playing games.

I know what's really going on is that they're providing entertainment, and asking for donations for that entertainment, all of which goes to charity. But it still seems like such a counter-intuitive thing to imagine. Like imagine if someone didn't know about this and walked in on them and asked them why they hadn't come out of their room for 15+ hours, stuck to a computer. The answer they would get is "We're doing it for the kids!". Doesn't seem to make sense at first glance.

But hey, it's all for a good cause as they say. Good luck.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Berserker119 said:
I did it last year with a bunch of friends and I plan on doing it again. Even though we all hated everything by the end it was worth it.
This. In fact, when I finished last year (it was my first time participating) I said "To Hell With This Next Year!", but I did enjoy myself in a weird way. Plus, everyone combined raised 1.1 Million for Children's Miracle Network. It may be silly to some, but it's a unique way to raise money. If I can take a hobby I love such as gaming, and do something useful with it like help children, I'm all for it!