Play Half-Life 2 for Half-Life 3

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I would love to join if I had Steam and weren't going to be busy playing Iron Brigade for the rest of the week. Although I personally think that Valve is waiting for the next generation of consoles to be released before they release anything Half-Life related, which is a trollish move, but at least it's understandable.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Win-win scenario, Half Life 2 Is always good to return to.

I'll ask my boss to buy if for the comps in his computer cafe and make it playable as limited time offer.

2012 we WILL get answers!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
DAMMIT I just completed HL2 again last week-end...

...maybe I can do the episodes?
I know how you feel. I just got done beating HL2 and both episodes only a few days ago. Sigh, it's a good thing I love the shit out of these games.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
Figures, I just finished marathoning The Orange Box last week. Well it's on xbox anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
No thank you. I had to force myself to finish that dull atrocity that was Half Life 2 the first time I played it. I will never replay that game again.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Fijiman said:
I would love to join if I had Steam and weren't going to be busy playing Iron Brigade for the rest of the week. Although I personally think that Valve is waiting for the next generation of consoles to be released before they release anything Half-Life related, which is a trollish move, but at least it's understandable.
Consoles? Valve?

Consoles have always gotten Valve's ports from PC focused development.

If Valve are developing a game with graphical fidelity a whole generation ahead of Xbox 360 well hardware capable of that is ALREADY on the market for PC gamers! Half Life 2 pushed the boundary for graphical fidelity and didn't max out on home consoles till 3 years after release in 2007 when it was released for the second time on Xbox 360.

Similar with Team Fortress 2 playable and worth playing across a wide range of hardware capability from a single core based and DX8 graphics card up to a hex-core DX11 rig.

So if Valve are making a game that has maximum settings way higher than an Xbox 360 they can just release the game now have mid-low settings for Xbox 360 release then when Third Xbox is released have HL3 get a release taking full advantage of that tech. In them mean time PC gamers can play it at max settings.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
I'd be up for this if it weren't for the fact that my Steam account with Half-Life 2 was hacked years ago and I can't remember anything needed to get it back.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
TimeLord said:
I may be looking at this the wrong way. But if I was at Valve, I would just look at this and think to myself;

"Well, they still must like our last Half Life game if they all want to play it so much. Maybe we'll delay HL2:E3 for another 3 months"

And then I'd put on my best troll-face.
Now known as the Gabeface, due to the ridiculous amount of trolling Valve does.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
SirBryghtside said:
DAMMIT I just completed HL2 again last week-end...

...maybe I can do the episodes?
I know how you feel. I just got done beating HL2 and both episodes only a few days ago. Sigh, it's a good thing I love the shit out of these games.
Mods

It'll still register as playing Half Life 2 in the steam-stats.

DonMelpomene

Apr 4, 2010
So with my timezone being UTC+1 I guess that would mean that I'd have to play at 18:00 ? ._.
Forgive me. I stink at Time Zone related calculations...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, this is the problem with popular series that are designed in an episodic format, despite the fire initially, there is no guarantee that any creative team is going to be able to keep that fire stoked all the way until the end, and if the team can't work without that fire? well the fans who committed are left wanting.

To be kind of honest, with all of the conjecture about G-man and a lot of the other wierdness in the series, I kind of suspect that Valve was making stuff up as they went along, and really didn't have an overall plan in mind for a lot of it. I've long suspected the delay on episode 3 is because... despite all claims... they really have no idea on how to finish this up in a way that will satisfy all of the fans.

To be honest these are the kinds of problems that happen in creative industries, and yet are never acknowleged. You don't see a company say "well, we don't care about the creative property that made us anymore, and can't get motivated" or "we kind of wrote ourselves into a corner and can't finish things in any way that will satisfy us", there might be an exception somewhere but it pretty much doesn't happen.

On a lot of levels I'm sort of glad I'm not a shooter fan who got invested in Half-Life... that lack of investment let's me voice concerns that I think are in everyone's minds at this point but they really don't want to contemplate.

Hopefully (for those who play the series) Gabe will shut me down (lol) by immediatly announcing a solid release date for "Episode 3" but I kind of doubt it.

Also on a final note, I think Zombie-Mania still isn't dead yet despite all logic governing trends. Like it or not, "Left 4 Dead 3" would probably be a wiser business move from a pure money making perspective than releasing "Episode 3". Especially seeing as I don't think anyone has yet to actually make the definitive Zombie Apocolypse game... but Valve seems to hav come the closes which is why so many people seem to be trying to copy their formula. Dead Island owed a lot to how Left 4 Dead was set up.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Last time I attempted to play HL2 the game froze up right when I was done with the intro stuff. The lack of auto-saves made me have to replay it, so I haven't felt like restarting it since then.
Still don't.
Sorry.

Ratboy601

Nov 25, 2009
Already joined that group a week ago! Neat... Anyway, I'll be there with bells on bitches! I've been wanting to play HL2 again for a while anyhow. Not to mention I can't wait to see the look on my girlfriends face when I say "I can't. I have to attend a mass Half Life 2 protest. [pause] That's right, I'm going to sit here and play Half Life 2. [pause] I don't care if the tickets are non refundable!"

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I keep trying to replay Half-Life 2, and I can't get more than an hour into it before I get sick of it. I only finished it once, and I can't stand it. But in the spirit of unity, I might play Opposing Force for the 10th time.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I'm not that much of a Half-Life fan (Played 2 onwards, was a'ight.), but I've always found Valve not working on anything Half-Life related kinda bullshit. I remember years ago they said they were going to work on Ep 3 and nothing else. Since that statement, they released Team Fortress 2, Portal 1/2, Left 4 Dead 1/2 and whatever else they've done since then...

Either EP3/Half-Life 3 is going to come out and be the best FPS in a decade...or it's going to go the way of Duke Nukem Forever.