Play Like You're Five

sonidraw

Mar 1, 2009
In the rare points in my life when I played MMOs/RPGs, I almost always did something like this. Rather than fall into the trap of completing my quest list, I just had fun and goofed off more often than not. I'd talk to/at/around people, chase things/people, wore weird/cool outfits, and explored the world. The end result was that my character took a lot longer to level up and stuff, but I had fun along the way.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I had a lot of Fun messing around with Fallout 3, and stopped to play entirely when i decided to follow the main quest.

On the other Side, playing GTA 4 TLAD now, i am completely devoted to the missions (+ Races and Gang Wars) that the Game throws at me, rushing from one to another, without messing around.

Am i strange? :'(

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Flap Jack452 said:
MaxTheReaper said:
I already do this. I used to spend hours in WoW just exploring lazily, seeing the sights. Same with Oblivion and such. Goals be damned.
Who knows how many hours I wasted in Orgrimar (?) literally doing nothing. I wasn't AFK I just didn't do anything except chase people's pets and look at shiny objects.
I also spent a lot of time looking at the sky in Outland. It was so damned pretty.
I stopped playing before that came out but I bet if I didn;t I would of been right beside you haha.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Argh, I guess everybody has this problem. I remember when I was younger I would have so many fun yet pointless experiences. One thing I would do is find a safe haven in games and hold off from enemies or get an overpowered vehicle and go on slaughter-fests. I tried this with Saints Row 2 and quite a bit of fun was had.

Jul 9, 2008
Gameguy151 said:
i feel bad for you man, sounds like you don't even get to play the game anymore. well, back to Fallout then, right?
Welcome to the Escapist.

Oh, and I think you missed his point.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
"Play like you're five" is excellent advice, I think. Sometimes people get too fixated on the goals in the game and forget the rest of the opportunities... that, I think, is at the core of a lot of complaints about games being too short.

I'm not a "fast" player. I don't sprint from objective to objective. I may never, ever do a speedrun in my life, but there's nothing quite like getting "into" a game by going outside it. I mean, it's amazing to get up on an odd ledge somewhere and just gawk at the scenery from an odd angle; climbing the Agency Tower in Crackdown and looking down at the city, or to the top of Cairo Station in Halo 2 to get a clear view of the Earth, or to the SatCom arrays in Fallout 3 to watch the MIRVs rain down. "Tricking" and map exploration add a lot of fun to the game.

(One notable "odd" achievement had a player take the Gold Elite you encounter at the start of the Halo level "Assault on the Control Room" and kite him all the way to the end of the level, the successful run taking something like an hour... just because. Another, famous one was the "Warthog Jump" video wherein a player used grenades to "punt" a Warthog jeep over an arch.)

If there's one thing to admire about Achievements, it's that often they're used to prompt players to try this sort of off-the-wall play.

-- Steve

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
There was a good column about this over on SVGL:

http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/2008/08/four-month-bell-curve.html
Thanks for the column, very informative. One of the comments has a very good point:

"Kevin said...
I think it was because I had more time and had less money to buy new games with."

Now that we're older, and have jobs and therefore more disposable income we can afford to move on when the next big thing comes along. For example I've only just gotten the full version of Duke Nukem 3D, I had to make-do with the shareware version as a child.

gribble

Mar 9, 2009
its genious!!!! pure genious!!! im going to try it....once iv finnished stressing about finnishing the game with a good outcome and getting all the achievments i can..jokes....but i dont actually remember the last time i did that..i stopped gaming for a while cos it was all getting boring...i might start again

heliosa

Jul 24, 2008
Sorry if someone already said this, but wasn't there already a article called "Play like a 3 year old" on the escapist?

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
This is what makes me pick up a game like Viva Pinata and play it for hours. There is no definitive goal. Just today I planted a dozen Venus Pinata Traps and killed about half of my pinatas. Why? Because I wanted to find out what would happen. Similar with something like Animal Crossing. I also love wandering around in World of Warcraft climbing around on things, finding new places to go, and collecting items that I think look cool. There are many different reasons to play games: to experience an engaging story, to be challenged mentally and... er... agilityly? Agiley? Dexterously? Lets go with that. But sometimes you just play to have fun. People decry things like Electroplankton or this [http://jayisgames.com/archives/2009/07/minecraft.php] as mindless toys, but so what? You aren't being led around by the hand to achieve some goal, you're playing around in a sandbox and seeing what you can imagine. It frees the mind.

Oh, and I would also like to say, even if there was an article like this a few months ago, I think we need to be reminded of this every once in a while. Just so we don't forget about fun. You can have some, you know. It's not outlawed yet.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Me and a group of friends were playing CoD 4 like five-year-olds about a week ago. One of my friends (Let's call him Sean) was completely destroying us, so we all decided to team up and use only explosives. Another friend (whom I'll refer to as Adam) wasn't even trying to kill Sean. All he did was throw C4 everywhere, plant claymores around random corners, cook grenades, and laugh maniacally. Needless to say, Adam was having the most fun in the group. Eventually, we went to Shipment and had a C4/Noob-Tube/Martyrdom battle while I played ragtime music on our stereo. Some strange feeling called Fun ensued.

Sadly, I forgot all about our "death"match and continued beating the CoD4 campaign on Veteran a few hours ago. Not fun. It hurts us, Precious.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I'd love to play as I did as a child, except I've always been obsessively objective focused. Maybe because I grew up on games that didn't lend themselves to just goofing off and exploration. Sonic was always about getting to the end of the level as fast as possible, and yes I did meander about looking for secrets, but always with intent. I didn't explore just to see how much of the level there was.