PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Now Has More Concurrent Players Than GTA 5

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Now Has More Concurrent Players Than GTA 5

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1418/1418944.jpgPlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is becoming one of the most popular games on Steam, and is on pace to pass up Fallout 4.

If you've been spending your gaming time in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, you are not alone. The popular shooter is now number four on the list of the most-played games on Steam. That's not a huge surprise, as we already knew it sold four million copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170622-PlayerUnknowns-Battlegrounds-Sells-4-Million-Copies-in-3-Months] in its first three months on Steam.

What you might find surprising is that in reaching that point, PUBG has surpassed GTA 5 for peak concurrent players. Its current number sits at 382,561 this week, with GTA 5 at 360,761. If it keeps up its torrid growth, PUBG will soon pass up Fallout 4's 471,955 concurrent player count, and reach the number three spot on the list.

PUBG is set to get first-person only servers in this month's update, and developer Bluehole is currently $29.99 on Steam [http://www.strawpoll.me/13456936], and is still in Early Access.

Need higher framerates in PUBG on your Nvidia card? Try these tricks! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/walkthroughs/17827-PlayerUnknown-Battlegrounds-How-To-Boost-FPS-On-Nvidia]

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Considering it's still in Early Access that is pretty good. Although I do sometimes wonder about the likelihood of this ending up as another DayZ. After all that was another large scale PvP free4all game which was heavily publicised and saw large sales after having been highlighted so prominently and where the devs felt that after they had earned enough money from it then never bothered to update the game again or even move to get it to a standard where it could leave Early Access.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
I really can't give a crap about this game... so many people talk it up but to me it just looks like another boring survival game.
even with the frequent hackers I'd still prefer GTA Online to this.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Gutsripper said:
I really can't give a crap about this game... so many people talk it up but to me it just looks like another boring survival game.
even with the frequent hackers I'd still prefer GTA Online to this.
Well, it's not. It's a Battle Royale game, not a Survival game. After an hour or so, the game is over and the winner declared, then everything resets and repeats.
Doesn't make me any more interested in it because it focuses on the part of DayZ I had the least interest in: the PvP part.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Man I don't even care about PUBG, I just want to know why so many damn people are still playing Fallout 4.

Breaks my heart.

It's gonna get the Skyrim treatment so hard with like 1/10th of the mods.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
My brother plays it and it certainly looks fun, but I don't know how such a game has garnered such mass appeal. They have their work cut out for them in keeping it fresh.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Still a ways to go to top CS:GO and Dota 2, but it might get there.

That said, that's not really that surprising. Battle Royale type games are the 'hot new thing' right now.

What IS surprising, however, is that games like Terraria, Unturned, Garry's Mod, and Left 4 Dead 2 still average between twenty to fifty thousand concurrent players a day.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Bindal said:
Well, it's not. It's a Battle Royale game, not a Survival game. After an hour or so, the game is over and the winner declared, then everything resets and repeats.
Doesn't make me any more interested in it because it focuses on the part of DayZ I had the least interest in: the PvP part.
Ah well thank you for clearing that up for me.
It's a different kind of boring then, just really not my thing this.