Playing by Yourself Is Fine With Valve

digotw

Nov 10, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Didn't Valve create TF2, an exclusively multiplayer game? That's the reason I never bought it - it looked fun, but the lack of a single-player mode ruined the idea for me.
I felt generally the same until a friend actually convinced me to play it. I can safely say that TF2 is pretty much the ONLY multiplayer game that i enjoy.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
The most Multiplayer I do is to meet with friends from across the globe and even then it's usually in the confines of L4D or TF2. To me online isn't fun unless you have down to earth people on a server just there to have fun.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
digotw said:
SonicWaffle said:
Didn't Valve create TF2, an exclusively multiplayer game? That's the reason I never bought it - it looked fun, but the lack of a single-player mode ruined the idea for me.
I felt generally the same until a friend actually convinced me to play it. I can safely say that TF2 is pretty much the ONLY multiplayer game that i enjoy.
I had a go on my flatmate's copy, and it was deserted. The games I got involved in seemed to be limited to me and three other guys. I found it very boring, since not much was going on...

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
Well that's always good to hear; single player is nearly always the best part of a game for me. You can't really craft a tale at all in a multiplayer game.
It's perfectly possible to craft a tale in multiplayer games, in fact, they tend to be some of the best ones for doing so, and it's been going on for a while.

D&D, White Wolf, Vampire The Masquerade, Well run Neverwinter Nights servers etc.

In single player games, you're never going to be able to go off and pursue Squeaksqee the Slaadi butler unless it had been designed that way from the start. In a multiplayer game, the DM can improvise and come up with things on the fly.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
I definitely agree with this, I've always been more of a soloist when it comes to gaming, if I cant do it by myself I feel a bit jaded and irritable, I want to be as great as I can be without having to rely on others but still talk with them and share my progress, my tricks and tips that helped me be like that.
With any luck if they can do the same then fine and dandy it makes teaming up all the more fun because two soloists together can cause greater damage in the same situation than any number of people preferring to play with a team.

As an example, I can relatively easily solo Lost Planet 2, a game more widely made for the Multiplayer experience even though single player is possible. My friend "drkmn" is capable of the same. When we play together we just about decimate everything to the point that its highly unfair to have us teaming up.

In MMO's I like to see how far I can go, if things get tough I know I have to hang back and think up a new strategy for dealing with greater numbers of opposition. But I almost always tend to figure it out and find myself capable of breaking the mold of playing with others.

The only time I ever care for Multiplayer games is when I have a good friend to play it with and simply enjoy it for what it is. Its not about getting items, its not about who gets what weapons or who has a better/stronger character. We enjoy the fun we're having and socialize with it.

Sometimes its too complex to understand if you want to play alone or with others, or at least for me, sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. I definitely don't enjoy having to deal with some of the most stupid, vile and nasty people int he world in online games, you never know what kind of horrid, vulgar people you'll come across, but then you find those lucky few who actually are a joy to play with.

Its these horrid kinds of people that make me prefer to play solo, less I have to deal with their stupidity, the happier I am. But my friends and the few nicer players who let me enjoy multiplayer. Its only a pity that nice players are outnumbered by pathetic, childish, immature brats as old as 19 years and older, and if you don't conform to their vile attitudes and ill behavior they turn on you like a pack of hounds on a lion cub.

Wow, I'm totally verging on rage about this, lol, I'll end it there for now because I could easily go on and on XD

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
brunothepig said:
SonicWaffle said:
Didn't Valve create TF2, an exclusively multiplayer game?
They said some games don't need multiplayer, not that they don't like multiplayer.
I like TF2, I like Portal.
OT: I agree wholeheartedly with this. There are some games that just won't work for multiplayer, like Portal. There are some times when I want to play a game with an involving story, not having to rely on random people online.
Valve making games that are multiplayer-only is actually a very suave move. Most games that have competitive multiplayer might as well not have single-player modes at all anyway, for all the attention they get. (I'm looking at you, entire Halo series.) So why not take the time and effort that would have gone into crowbarring a single-player campaign into the game, and instead spend it polishing the user experience so the players don't abandon it before other people can get ahold of it? Likewise, I love that they made Half-Life 2 Deathmatch a separate title (at least on Steam; the retail version might have bundled the two games), because while Half-Life 2 was an excellent game, I don't really give a rat's ass about a silly deathmatch game.

In fact, I kind of resent that they've decided to make Portal 2 a true mixed game. Those who would rather not bother with the co-op campaign, don't have any gamer friends to play it with, or don't have the Internet connection for it (yes, there are still people without broadband Internet in this decade who nonetheless play vidya games) are stuck paying for it anyway, and unlike, say, Left 4 Dead, they really are essentially two separate games. It's the same problem I had with Bioshock 2. Basically they're forcing us to buy two games even if we only want one.