PlayStation 4 Abandons Backwards Compatibility

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
PlayStation 4 Abandons Backwards Compatibility

Don't go trading in that PS3 any time soon, because they won't work on the PS4.

While Sony remained quiet regarding the PS4's ability to play older PS3, PS2, or PS1 games during its official event last night, the company has now made things perfectly clear: The PlayStation 4 will not have backwards compatibility built into the system. Speaking with journalists during a roundtable session, President of Sony Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida laid the out the facts.

"No backwards compatibility. You can quote me on that," Yoshida stated, noting that in the future the console could conceivably accomplish the task through either cloud services or software emulation, but that such talk is completely hypothetical at this point.

The PlayStation 4 - unlike the PS2 and PS3 before it - will not support native backwards compatibility out of the gate. Of course, the PS3 later dropped the feature, so there was really no reason to think the PS4 would be any different. This means that if you want to keep your collection of physical PS3 game discs in your software library, you'll need to hang onto the system itself as well.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/21/4013130/ps4-psn-backwards-compatibility-gaikai-cloud]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That's pretty damn lame. Oh well, hopefully somewhere down the line they'll make a super tiny version of the PS3 and sell it for super cheap like they did with the PS2.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
The PS3 still has PS1 compatibility right? Does the PS4? I mean, it's just a matter of emulation with the PS1, right?

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Not even PS1 backwards compatibility? Huh.

Besides that, color me completely unsurprised.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Well I can see why it'd take the wind out of the sails for some people but I'm yet to trade a system in (case in point: I have a Wii, Wii U and GameCube all hooked up at the flick of a switch, why you ask? Because sometimes emulation isn't perfect and I'm a gigantic loser. :3)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Like I said in another thread, Sony just does not want my support. Heres hoping the PS4 fails at first so they can fix all of these problems people are having with it. Till them, no sale from me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Can't say I'm surprised and I would be surprised if backwards compatibility would be on the PS4.

Good thing I don't plan on getting rid of my PS3.
Fappy said:
That's pretty damn lame. Oh well, hopefully somewhere down the line they'll make a super tiny version of the PS3 and sell it for super cheap like they did with the PS2.
They might, and that would be a good gesture on Sony's part. At this point, all we can do is wait until E3 for the rest of the details concerning this thing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, it's not like we couldn't see that coming.

Not the worst thing, I guess, but somehow I wish buying a new console wouldn't feel so much like a forced relocation.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yeah, no.
They have no excuse not to have a ps2 software emulator with all the processing power that thing has.
But then again, why have that out of the box on day 1 and give me an actual reason to consider getting that thing to finally replace my ps2.

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
For crying out loud, did Sony learn nothing from the Vita? This is the reason the Vita is constantly being out sold by the PSP.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
And I await the announcement that you can buy PS2 and 3 Classics on the PSN store. Why make it backwards compatible when you can sell it to them again?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm pretty much done with this console generation. The PS4 was really the only thing I was interested in, since I refuse to buy Microsoft's next console. If I do get one, it won't be until many years down the road and after a price drop.

The lack of backwards compatibility on its own is pretty bad, but not being allowed to keep your games you bought on PSN? Yeah both those things combined are a major deal breaker for me.

But at least we have useless social media features shoved in where we don't need them.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
Well F#@% you to sony. If the company wants to make money, wouldn't backwards compatable make it more competitive? And the whole PSN purchases not transfering over? The hell sony? I have no reason to upgrade to an 'entertainment wise' inferior product.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
If Sony releases it without backwards compatibility people will ***** about that.

If Sony had released the PS4 with backwards compatibility it would have raised the price and people would ***** about that.

You just can't win with those kinds of people. I'm aware we still don't know how much the PS4 will cost but building PS3 hardware into it would not be free.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
They pretty much did mention it in the conference, but they also mentioned that they hopefully aim to have a streaming service that will stream PS1/2/3/N games onto various devices including, presumably, the PS4

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
PS4 also won't give you access to your PSN games.

VanQQisH said:
You just can't win with those kinds of people. I'm aware we still don't know how much the PS4 will cost but building PS3 hardware into it would not be free.
No reason they couldn't do what the Wii-U does with the Wii which is OS and Software emulation rather than hardware emulation like the 60gig PS3s did. The PS4 has the power to easily play PS1, PS2, and PSN games through emulation and probably PS3 games if they wanted to. Instead they're opting to try and push their cloud-gaming service which, for anyone who's tried previous attempts at cloud gaming, is not good.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Well......shit. Although my PS3 is backwards compatible I'm worried that it may be on its way out soon. Honest question though.......why not? I mean it's not like the backwards compatibility would be hard for them to implement right?