PlayStation 4 Firmware Update Causing Rest Mode Issues and Bricked Consoles

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
PlayStation 4 Firmware Update Causing Rest Mode Issues and Bricked Consoles

Some PlayStation 4 owners are more unfortunate than others, succumbing to a myriad of issues brought on by the console's latest firmware update.

After the recent firmware update to v.2.00 for PlayStation 4 users, a large portion of the user base has found that their console's Rest Mode and other facets of the device are now facing several technological issues.

As reported in a Reddit thread [http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2ko4jq/after_update_20_my_system_wont_turn_on_from_rest/] by several unfortunate PlayStation 4 owners, placing the console in Rest Mode now appears to no longer work correctly, with users reporting the need to reset the entire system to get it back up and operational. In some cases, systems have even been bricked.

Users are reporting additional issues as well, such as connectivity problems and volume problems (as seen on Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/if-you-got-the-new-ps4-update-dont-use-rest-mode-1653281159]) as well as a host of other maladies that Sony is working to get under control. The company has stated that it is indeed aware that firmware 2.00 is causing more problems than it's improving, but as of now there is yet to be a reliable fix.

The only recourse it seems, other than resetting the entire console, is avoiding Rest Mode entirely and dealing with the problems as they come. Of course, the safest course of action is to simply refrain from using your PlayStation 4, but with the gaggle of new releases that just hit and will continue to blitz store shelves in November, that may not be a fantastic option for many of us.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/01/ps4-update-2-00-rest-mode-issues/]

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I was one of those affected by this update. Strangely enough my system has survived the ordeal. I didn't know there was a problem til I had tried to bring my system back up from "Rest" mode. (honestly I think Standby was a fine name for it) In the end I unplugged the unit when it wouldn't turn back on. Something they tell you to not do. But upon running the system in safe mode I was able to get back to playing games and using the system. Safe mode is activated by pressing and holding the power button until it beeps twice. From there you have various recovery tools and options to get things back on track. in this case downloaded the update again and this time avoided the "Rest mode" Hope everyone else manages to get through with their PS4 not being a paperweight.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I should preface this by saying I'm not taking the shit and going "ha-ha!" at people having problems. That out of the way: My PS4 actually had similar problems -before- 2.00 was out and since updating to 2.00 my PS4 has had -less- problems with standby/rest mode. Pre-2.00 it was a 50-50 chance that my PS4 would crash halfway into going to standby and I often had to resort to unplugging it and do the disk-check dance on boot to the point where I'd just turn it off completely all the time. Now, post-2.00 it... actually works. Standby hasn't fucked up since I updated. Again, I'm saying this not to be all like "har har, your console is broken and mine isn't" but rather as a confused person using the exact same hardware/software as everyone else and somehow experiencing the reverse.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, Rest mode snagged me but I managed to get it back on with an unplug/reboot/diskcheck. Never had a problem with the old Standby mode.

Party mode has an annoying extra layer to menus now, not sure why they made the functions all require a submenu. It wasn't clogging up the interface or anything before.

I couldn't connect my youtube account. Haven't tried Shareplay or any other features since the Rest mode debacle.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
So glad that hasn't happened to me (yet?). Maybe it's because I already replaced the HDD?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I really don't get why people buy consoles anymore these days.

The days of 'Turn on and Play' are long over and every PC is easier to handle AND to repair than these.

Firmware upgrades - fuck that.

holyshaman

May 19, 2013
i don't get it, do they not test their updates properly? and why do we hear similar problems with apple and this is something that should have been spotted under testing.

holyshaman

May 19, 2013
BloodRed Pixel said:
I really don't get why people buy consoles anymore these days.

The days of 'Turn on and Play' are long over and every PC is easier to handle AND to repair than these.

Firmware upgrades - fuck that.
i think a good reason is that people feel more safe when buying a console it is like the seats in a class room, most people will end up sitting the same spot for no apparent reason

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
"It just works"

Yeah, as consoles are finally getting as complex as basic windows they are also inhereting the same problems and they didnt have couple decades to iron it out. not the first nor will it be the last time this happened. Sadly cant just manually fix it yourself with consoles. Hopefully only few people will be affected by this.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I thought many people prefer consoles over PC to avoid such problems. I hope being able to play the next Uncharted and God of War is worth it.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Gee so surprised to see "Herp derp why buy a console snicker herp derp".

Because people play what they want to play. No better than pc, no worse than pc, just different.

Hopefully they have the majority of these kinks ironed out by bloodborne release my money finally gets sunk into a ps4.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
It's kinda sad when you have to avoid updates so they won't break your system/program.

http://i.imgur.com/YOmDuDV.jpg

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
WWmelb said:
Gee so surprised to see "Herp derp why buy a console snicker herp derp".

Because people play what they want to play. No better than pc, no worse than pc, just different.

Hopefully they have the majority of these kinks ironed out by bloodborne release my money finally gets sunk into a ps4.
Thank you. One voice of reason among a sea of idiots. Sometimes I really hate the Escapist user base.

OT: Yeah, I never use Rest/Standby mode. Not because I think it's a bad idea. But because my power -for lack of a better term- likes to blink, and go off for a second before starting back up. Not sure if this is caused by a surge (and I have a surge protector on my TV and PS4) but I know all my power goes off. While it doesn't happen often, it happens often enough that I notice a pattern of it. The last thing I want to do is have that happen while I'm out of the house and fuck up my delicate $400 system.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
By "bricked console" do they mean that the console is beyond repair and doesnt do jack shit? Because that is what a bricked console is.

I remember back when these console were being released with the usual buggy stuff and there were a lot of complaints about "bricked consoles" that simply werent running the games but could be fixed (and were) with future updates.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Now I'm glad that I've been too lazy to bother updating it.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I've taken a break from my PS4 until Dragon Age comes out so I haven't played it in a week or two and thus haven't gotten the update yet. Looks like my laziness paid off for once.

Sony: You've got 15 days to get this mess sorted out before I'll officially be pissed off about it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hmm, haven't noticed any problems myself, but then I haven't used Rest Mode since I like to turn electronic devices off completely when I'm not using them.

This better not cause any problems so close to the release of Far Cry 4 and DA: Inquisition.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Yeah, actually, I've noticed these shenanigans.

Rest mode has been behaving oddly today. I couldn't get the system to fully turn off as usual. I'll have to go home at lunch and fiddle around with it to get it into full rest mode.

Additionally, with the volume thing, I was doing a 6-man raid in Destiny on the Vault of Glass final boss when we all lost the ability to hear eachother. Party talk completely died. Then we created a side-party via the Sony Party function and it worked for a bit before also failing. Completely killed our vault of glass run. Can't do that one without significant communication (people get teleported to another world and have to tell other players which world they went to so they can open the portal on the other side. Meanwhile, in the new world someone has a special weapon that they have to kill certain enemies right away while others shoot the glowing orbs that are making them go blind and then the person with the special relic has to call the other players to him so he can "cleanse them", otherwise, full-wipe). So... impossible without communication like I said.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Doom972 said:
I thought many people prefer consoles over PC to avoid such problems. I hope being able to play the next Uncharted and God of War is worth it.
Pretty soon, there will be a patch to fix all systems.

There are still video card and compatibility issues that will never be resolved on PCs without special actions by the users. There are entire games that will never be playable on some people's PC's because of specs while people will cram games into the consoles for their entire lifespan. So it's give an take.

(FYI, I'm both a console and powerful PC user).

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Lightknight said:
Doom972 said:
Pretty soon, there will be a patch to fix all systems.

There are still video card and compatibility issues that will never be resolved on PCs without special actions by the users. There are entire games that will never be playable on some people's PC's because of specs while people will cram games into the consoles for their entire lifespan. So it's give an take.

(FYI, I'm both a console and powerful PC user).
I hope so because the thought of a single update making a gaming machine useless is really not a selling point. Consoles were advertised as plug and play machines not update and brick.