PlayStation 4 Recruits Two Free-To-Play MMOs

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
PlayStation 4 Recruits Two Free-To-Play MMOs

Fans of Sony Online Entertainment's online games may notice a fresh burst of life on the servers.

"It only does everything" may be the tagline for the PlayStation 3, but it may have to yield that title to its successor as the details continue to roll in. You can add massively-multiplayer games to the list of the things the PlayStation 4 "does" now: Sony Online Entertainment has announced that it will be porting two of its most popular MMO titles to the next-gen console. Planetside 2 and DC Universe Online, both free-to-play, will be available for console audiences with the standard assortment of subscription plans and microtransactions.

Both games are an easy fit for the PlayStation 4's catalogue. DC Universe Online is currently available on the PS3, has been eyeing a console port for some time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118553-DC-Universe-Online-Players-Flock-to-PS3]. While the immense MMOFPS never made it to the PS3 - possibly due to competing interests with CCP's Dust 514 on the same platform - it looks like the war for Auraxis will continue on the next generation of hardware.

"Since the launch of the original EverQuest, we have pioneered major shifts in the development of MMOs and videogames as a whole," says SOE president John Smedley, "and now we're bringing out titles to the forefront of next-gen gaming. Players are evolving and want a variety of ways to access and play games. Our goal is to deliver epic gaming experiences that players crave while harnessing the awesome power and technology of this incredible new platform."

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/05/planetside-2-dc-universe-online-confirmed-for-ps4/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, THERE is a good reason to buy the PS4...what? I always wanted to play that game.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm still surprised of the existence and survival of DCUO. I reaaaaaally tried to get into that game and so did my friends, but the game is just...hard to play. Not because of the difficulty curve but it's just boring and bland and...well, it barely feels like a MMO. And amazingly, there's not a lot of people around whenever I play. That's just my opinion.

At any rate, I am curious about Planetside 2. I am glad typical PC MMOs are being brought to consoles. Now, to decide whether I should get a next gen console...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sleekit said:
erttheking said:
Ok, THERE is a good reason to buy the PS4...what? I always wanted to play that game.
it is a very good game apparently.

totalbiscuit is a big fan.

i wonder if they'll be playing alongside PC users :eek:
It's not impossible, they did it with Defiance. Of course, it would result in a total blood bath when the new PS4 players met the experienced PC gamers.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I wonder if PSO2 will make its way onto the PS4 in the coming months? Its Vita port is pretty good and it would be right at home on the PS4.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
They're late to the party now that more people see F2P ends up costing more in the long run than a pull priced game, and made frustrating enough to encourage purchase of digital content.

either that, or they know full well they can exploit the microtransactions and make it pay to win like a lot of them.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Sleekit said:
Nurb said:
They're late to the party now that more people see F2P ends up costing more in the long run than a pull priced game, and made frustrating enough to encourage purchase of digital content.

either that, or they know full well they can exploit the microtransactions and make it pay to win like a lot of them.
oh don't be so downbeat. f2p games aren't that bad. it depends on the game.

they have a bad rep in the west because a lot of failed AAA gmes went f2p as a money grab but in the east...custom built f2p games dominate, provide quality gaming and don't expect a large spend from players.

its a numbers game y'see. you get a large player base and you can still make a shit load of money just selling some tat like...hats ;)
I know there are a few games that have it right, but most just can't pull it off. I'm not pessimistic, I'm just a realist!

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Nurb said:

Honestly if a game gets frustrating because you MUST need to put in some money in order to play I just stop playing it, and these too, while not really my thing, they're quite entertaining without putting money, except for DCUO's end content (and banning people for using keyboard and mouse).

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
So Xbone is enforcing PC style draconian DRM Policies and the PS4?
Sony Want to give you a free MMORPG or two because "you are awesome".

So other words Sony is getting the Customer Base

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sleekit said:
it seems sony is making a push atm to get f2p titles onto the PS4.
there's these and Warframe was announced just the other day as well.

its an interesting development given it means you should be able to download a fair pile of quality "free" games straight off the bat...especially if you like pvp & shooters.

i wonder how extensive this will become...because there is A LOT of decent f2p titles out there in PC land.

[small]...and i don't think microsoft is at all inclined to do "free to play" [/small] *snigger*
You've got to admit it's a smart move on Sony's part, people can buy the console, go home with maybe a game or 2 they got with it, and presto they have 4+ games on day 1, can't do much better than that.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sleekit said:
Nurb said:
I know there are a few games that have it right, but most just can't pull it off. I'm not pessimistic, I'm just a realist!
customization (everything from hats to mounts to pets to homes) = ok
convenience (faster levelling or levelling of crafting, bank/bag space in an MMORPG, stuff like that) = ok
new races (which is actually just more customization) = still ok
side content = still ok
expansions = still ok
anything that make someone more powerful than others and that cannot be obtained via in game means = BAD and not only bad but its very existence will probably lose you players and potential players.

so you see there is actually a lot to potentially sell without having to hit "BAD".

have some faith. most f2p developers know the rules by now.
Star Trek Online ticks off the correct boxes and crosses out the wrong one, theres a reason it's the only MMO I play regularly. That and also because it feels more like Star Trek Command than World of Warcraft, which is a big plus in my books. I wonder if STO will come to the PS4, hmmmm......

I've got my PS4 already booked, and arranging my room over the next few weeks so will leave room for it to be plugged in :)

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Sorry if this sounds like a noob/ignorant question but how does one play an MMO on a console without a keyboard? How do you communicate without the ability to type? Or are you supposed to use voice chat the entire time, and how does that work in big cities?
E.g. making a group for a dungeon, publicly selling something, or suggesting a strategy in PvP. How does one type that?

I also presume everything will have auto-targeting or tab-targeting?