PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale Review

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
Do not think I will be getting this one. Somehow I just can not get my self to care about the rooster.

Think perhaps it has to do with all the "realistic" looking characters (Nate, Kratos, Dante and so on). I do not have all that great an attachment to them to start with and they just seem out of place in a game like this.

It is a thematic thing I guess. The SSB characters somehow made it all look like somebody had taken all his favourite action figures out of the toy chest and had a pretend fight. This... this just looks random and not at all... cohesive.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Wow, one of my friends will be picking this up, I am definitely beating him up and stealing his PS3 going to his house to play it!

It is a shameless Super Smash Bros clone, but who cares since it was done well!
I dunno... I think there's far too much of this mentality in the industry, and not enough attempt at actual original creativity. How many games out there are just rehashes of more popular games? Think of all the military shooters that end up being COD-clones, or the MMOs that end up being WOW-clones.

If we want to get actual creativity back in the industry, then we need to send developers the message that we want original ideas, not rehashes of stuff we've already seen.
Originality is great, but I'm not sure it's the only measure by which to judge content. This game is actually a great example of that very idea. They took a beloved concept and tried to rebrand it for both a new audience (PS3) and a more modern one (we haven't had a good Smash game in over ten years, dude). Look, I want to see new stuff too, but I also just want to see good stuff.

The fact of the matter is that from a business perspective, "new idea" is synonymous with "high-risk endeavor", and will always be considered such as long as the people funding development are not the same as the people developing. So, accepting that we live in a world where the majority of creative output, movies and games alike, is going to be shackled to past success, let's at least be happy when something comes along that's actually well-made and enjoyable, "originality" aside.

Edit: Except for Avatar. Plot point for plot point Pocahontas, but with 8-foot-tall blue sparkle cats who speak through papyrus font I cannot abide.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
On the one hand, we're stuck with Dino and mishmash of some characters that just feel a bit odd in a game like this such as the helghast guy and the big daddy. Plus, the game modes seem to be rather uninspired.

On the other hand....Sir Daniel FUCKING Fortesque is playable! I..no words. That right there is almost worth the price of admission.

I'm torn about this one to say the least, but i think i'll pass on it. I still have a copy of Medieval i can play.

However, i will ask this much of Sony: When can we expect another Medieval game? Cmon, that game was fun as all hell and deserves a sequel (Even the remake had a certain charm to it, and if it was done right and maybe not limited to portable consoles it could be awesome)

yunabomb

Nov 29, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Thing is, if we use PSA as an example, seemingly everything that's 'good' about it is something lifted straight from Super Smash Bros. From what I've seen at any rate, and reviews haven't exactly done much to argue that point.
I've heard that this game is like King of Fighters with double jumps. It seems like this game isn't actually copying Smash that much beyond the basic aesthetics. And it's obviously different enough from KoF to not be considered a copy of it.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Great game wish it had a little more meat to the very very very flimsy plot that drives the game though

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
GAunderrated said:
Any comments on how the crossplay works with the vita? This is supposed to be one of the first games you can buy with a ps3 and get a code to play it on your vita as well.
Cross-play works extremely well. There's virtually no difference between the two versions, save for having to tap the screen to pick up items on the Vita version, since there's no R1 button. When you play online on the PS3, you're not going to know who's playing on the Vita, or vice-versa. This is, let me be clear, just based on what I've read about it. I haven't tried it for myself. But the beta worked perfectly fine on the Vita, so I see no reason that this shouldn't be true for the full version.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Yes, yes. "GOD THIS GAME IS OBVS JUST TRYING TO BE SMASH BROS. UUUUUGH." I can see where the point comes from. But why should Smash Bros. be the only crossover arena fighter? It's a brilliant idea, and I welcome attempts to replicate it for different audiences. (Also Brawl kind of sucked, so..) I don't get why that should be a deterrent or negative factor.

OT: Definitely going to pick this up. My friend and I had a blast playing the beta, and while I wish there was more substance, arena fighters are more about playing with friends anyway.

And hopefully I'll get less Kratos-foursome matches online now.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
DeManix said:
The only reason I may want to get this is to play as Nariko again. Man, I really hope there's a Heavenly Sword 2...
Well if you need a fix of shitty DMC ripoffs from Ninja Theory, their awful DMC reboot comes out in January. There's also that Enslaved garbage they pumped out a couple years back.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Love letter to the fans.. with the shitty Dante-wannabe instead of the one we've seen for 4 games, an anime series, Marvel Vs. Capcom and SMT:Nocturne. Guess Capcom ends all their letters to fans with "Fuck you."

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
I wanted to like this game more, but I miss damage and stock. Nothing against it's design, it's just not for me. For those who don't mind it, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
I currently have the game
-Dragmire- said:
Mike Kayatta said:
How does Cole match-up with Cole? I'm hoping they made them diverse enough to warrant being two separate people,
I too, have the game, and both Coles have the same special traits (hovering, wall grab) same square attacks (melee attacks mostly) and same level 1 super.

Their triangle attacks are similar, but do different things, for example good Cole's grenade is a sticky grenade, while evil Cole's explodes on contact, twice.

Their circle moves and level 2 and 3 supers are completely different. Good Cole has his Ice shield which turns projectiles into AP, while Evil Cole has his Firebird Strike which sets him on fire and launches him at the enemy. Good Cole's level 2 covers the ground in front of him in ice, while evil Cole's level 2 kills anything in the immediate vicinity of himself.

Playstyles with each one is also different, because Good Cole's moves make him more suited for close range while Evil Cole will want to play keep-away.

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
kburns10 said:
I wanted to like this game more, but I miss damage and stock. Nothing against it's design, it's just not for me. For those who don't mind it, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!
It does have Stock instead of Time mode. It's just that instead of losing lives, you rack up kills, So every player stays in the game until someone reaches the goal.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Punch You said:
kburns10 said:
It does have Stock instead of Time mode. It's just that instead of losing lives, you rack up kills, So every player stays in the game until someone reaches the goal.
I only played the beta but had a hard time getting used to it. Maybe when it goes on sale or hits Redbox I'll spend more time and see if it grows on me.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
trty00 said:
alik44 said:
Great game wish it had a little more meat to the very very very flimsy plot that drives the game though
That would be cool, but games like this aren't there for story.
that's Bull if SMB can have almost an 8-12 hour story mode with an actual plot to it im pretty sure Sony could slapped something together.