Playstation CLassic Lineup Announced

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1056888829691527169

And... well they pretty much blew their **** with what they'd already announced. A fairly dismal offering. Even if they're doing a "one per series" rule, missing a lot of the top string titles (Crash, Gran Turismo, and Tomb Raider particularly). Even as a few repliers noted, oft overlooked Tony Hawk and Driver (maybe removing that from history was conditional to getting GTA (which in itself is a weird choice, since OG GTA wasn't even a blip, it was GTA 2 that was the big one)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm assuming Crash is not on there because of the N. Sane Trilogy remake. Same probably for Spyro, though his is still upcoming. As for Tony Hawk, maybe because of the licensed soundtracks? Can't hazard a guess for Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider and Driver.

Surprised to see Persona on there tho. That didn't get real traction in the West until Persona 3 and beyond. Although maybe that's the reason its there.

Other than that, it's pretty much what I expected.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
There are some fun games in there, some I don't care for all that much, but that was to be expected.

Let's not forget that the PlayStation was a system with a very broad audience where multiple genres and franchises flourished across thousands of games, trying to distill this whole catalog into only 20 games was a bit of an impossible task from the start.

I could easily list over 40 games that I'd want on a PS1 Classic and still have more than 20 titles that I'd want to put on there.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's got three of my favourite PS1 games (Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 3, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee), and I'd be cool to play Syphon Filter again. But yeah, Resident Evil 1 over 2? HA!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So there're some neat games in this but I wish these mini redux classics packed more games, I doubt space is an issue. I can't imagine boiling down the PS2 catalogue to 20 games, especially with that 1-per-series rule.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
And like their Smash Bros rip-off, it is missing too many obvious inclusions.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I?ll wait for the PS2 Classic, which should hopefully have Silent Hill 2, Tony Hawk 4, SSX, and I?d love to play Castlevania: Lament of Innocence again but that?s unlikely to be included.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
So there're some neat games in this but I wish these mini redux classics packed more games, I doubt space is an issue. I can't imagine boiling down the PS2 catalogue to 20 games, especially with that 1-per-series rule.
Potentially they're trying to avoid contradicting themselves on pricing. The PSN digital copies of the titles tend to be 5-10, so if you packed much more on them they'd be undercutting themselves. Which fits in as well with the recently remastered stuff being left off, when you're trying to sell an at best, marginally enhanced version of game, plopping it on a nostalgia bundle for 1/10th or less of the price is going to be an odd proposition.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Sony is in a different position than nintendo, most of there big title were 3rd party, this makes it a lot more complicated for them to bundle everything for a re-release. Plus a lot are getting re-release around this time so the company obviously doesn't want to have a competing product (this explain the lack of crash, Spiro and RE2, which is getting a remaster soon. Having analogue stick would have jacked up the price, so no ape escape. I do think they should have gone with GTA 2 rather than 1.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Saelune said:
And like their Smash Bros rip-off, it is missing too many obvious inclusions.
Yeah, too many holes and filler titles. It isn't like the SNES and NES Mini which are filled to the brim with actual classics. This also reminds me that Sony are dickheads for refusing to put Intelligent Qube on the North American PSN.

Feb 7, 2016
The exclusion of an analog stick is still putting me off. I get that the PS came with just a D-Pad controller, but I'm not a collector, and I'd actually like to play the system, but not on a control method that's inferior for some of the games on the list.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I still say they should have skipped to the PS2, put ten PS1 and ten PS2 games on it (all solid classics) and given it a space for a 2.5? HDD and allowed downloads OR do what Sega did and let it play old game discs.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Holy shit, Rainbow Six! The original, back before they were trying to be Call of Duty.
Rainbow Six 3 was the last good one and was the pinnicle of the series.

Rainbow Six 3 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory were the pinnicle of Tom Clancy gameplay.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
With only 20 games, I'd expect a lot less filler and a lot more YES.

This has a couple nice games, but it's mostly a "meh" for me.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Just looked up used copies of Persona, and if you're a fan, this is worth the cost of entry as is...unless you have a PSP.

That said, after this releases, the market might go down a bit,

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Without Chrono Cross or Deception 2 I'm out. Twisted Metal instead of Twisted Metal 2 is a mistake as well, although they'd have done better going with Rogue Trip. I will say this for any adopters out there... Cool Boarders 2 is more fun than you might think it would be. I remember renting it on a 2 for 1 deal when a friend and I were wanting to check out Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi. Masters of Teras Kasi, we were done with after less than an hour. It sucked. We played Cool Boarders 2 for hours and then he went and bought it when our rental was up.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
I can't imagine boiling down the PS2 catalogue to 20 games, especially with that 1-per-series rule.
Don't be surprised if that's exactly what they do next year or a year after.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I can't imagine boiling down the PS2 catalogue to 20 games, especially with that 1-per-series rule.
Don't be surprised if that's exactly what they do next year or a year after.
In an ideal world this is what the PS2 Classic would look like (assuming the 1-per-series restriction):

1. Beyond Good & Evil
2. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
3. God of War 2
4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
5. Katamari Damacy
6. Killer7
7. Killzone
8. Kingdom Hearts
9. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
10. Odin Sphere
11. Okami
12. Persona 4