PlayStation Move Off-hand Called Navigation Controller

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
PlayStation Move Off-hand Called Navigation Controller

After abandoning names like Arc and Gem, Sony settled on Move and has seemed to have named the off-handed peripheral the very dry "Navigation Controller."

As part of the preparation to release the Move peripheral for the PlayStation 3, Sony has to file a part number with the FCC. Crafty tech people have gotten their hand on the label for part No. CECH-ZCS1U on the FCC database, complete with screenshots. The label clearly states "Navigation Controller" in large friendly letters. With corroboration at Sony's website [http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/scph-98061.html], it appears that this is the official name of the off-handed controller. There is still no word on price or release date for PlayStation Move.

Here are the features of the Navigation Controller from Sony's website:

Wireless control completely untethered from the PlayStation Move motion controller.
Intuitive navigation of in-game characters
Easy and intuitive XMB menu navigation.
Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
Charge the controller and automatically pair with the PS3 system via a USB cable
Up to two motion controllers and two navigation controllers can be connected at once to the PS3 system.

Of special note is the fact that the Dualshock 3 can be used as a Navigation Controller. I'm not sure how you'd use it with one hand, but that may be a way to save a buck if you plan on upgrading to the Move

As for the name, I know that Nunchuk was taken, but couldn't Sony have come up with something a little more evocative? "Wakizashi" maybe? Or even "dagger"? Even just "Offhand" would have worked for me.

Source: Engadget [http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/scph-98061.html]

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
To use the Dual Shock 3 as a...navigation controller, you'd probably have to hold it sideways like you're throwing a boomerang. If only they'd kept that initial design...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Woodsey said:
They can call it what they like, it still looks like a sex toy to me.
That analog stick would cause complications though
No, no, no, no... Let's not go there.

While my inner fanboy wants to support this, my inner gamer wants to slap the games industry out of this phase altogether.
While it will take experimentation to get it just right, it lacks a viability with hardcore gamers, and promotes shovelware.

Yes I am very aware of the holes in my argument. Just give me a break; I just woke up.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems the name is a little too corporate for me...I hope thats only a working title and they will actually come out with something better for Retail.

And the Dualshock 3 as a substitute? Well, suppose they are using available resources

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
They can call it what they like, it still looks like a sex toy to me.
Thats what I thought when I first saw the Wii remote and nunchuck :/

OT: Well thats... pretty lame.

They could have called it the Butler. And the first part the Kevin.
That way you would say your playing with Kevin Butler. And then all your friends would be jealous.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Yes I am very aware of the holes in my argument. Just give me a break; I just woke up.
Weeeee-waaaaant-waaaar! WAKE-UP!

Okay okay okay. The name really is bland and boring. Of course you can shorten it to "NavCon", but still - they could have found a much better name. Like, i don't know, "Pilot" or something. On second thought, why didn't they go with aerial theme in general? That dosen't seem like too bad of an idea.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Kollega said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Weeeee-waaaaant-waaaar! WAKE-UP!

Okay okay okay. The name really is bland and boring. Of course you can shorten it to "NavCon", but still - they could have found a much better name. Like, i don't know, "Pilot" or something. On second thought, why didn't they go with aerial theme in general? That dosen't seem like too bad of an idea.
Cause that might remind people of Lair and it's crappy control scheme and Sony's subsequent leaflet campaign of sending instruction manuals to reviewers so they could "play it correctly"

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Kollega said:
On second thought, why didn't they go with aerial theme in general? That dosen't seem like too bad of an idea.
Cause that might remind people of Lair and it's crappy control scheme and Sony's subsequent leaflet campaign of sending instruction manuals to reviewers so they could "play it correctly"
Sorry, but... what's Lair? I'm certainly missing something here.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
I know there aren't many logical designs for a motion sensing controller... But come on Sony. At least try to make it look like you're not ripping off Nintendo. Proof:

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Kollega said:
AceDiamond said:
Kollega said:
On second thought, why didn't they go with aerial theme in general? That dosen't seem like too bad of an idea.
Sorry, but... what's Lair? I'm certainly missing something here.
This should help out a bit [http://www.destructoid.com/sony-tells-reviewers-how-to-review-lair-this-just-gets-better-43022.phtml]

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
AceDiamond said:
This should help out a bit [http://www.destructoid.com/sony-tells-reviewers-how-to-review-lair-this-just-gets-better-43022.phtml]
But it dosen't. I'm still kinda confused what aerial theme has to do with that.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Kollega said:
AceDiamond said:
It's a game where you flew around on a dragon and used SIXAXIS as a flight yoke. Aerial Theme. I wasn't even trying to be serious about the initial statement I made.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Kollega said:
It's a game where you flew around on a dragon and used SIXAXIS as a flight yoke. Aerial Theme. I wasn't even trying to be serious about the initial statement I made.
I sort-of-understood it was a joke. I just didn't "get" the joke. Thanks for explaining.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Hands up for the hard working impressive design/creative team.
Imo what's the point of "Can do everything" if they don't try at all.
/sarcasm mode off

-edited due to mispelling

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Huh. I'm suddenly reminded of the old ASCII Grip controller for the PS1.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
All my friends refer to it as the Sony Dildo. I suppose it has more features then just a dildo though. How bout the Sony Swiss Dildo?