PlayStation Plus Explained

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
Kapol said:
It looks promising, and if it isn't needed to play games online then the Playstation fanboys still get to brag. But from the sounds of it, you only get one PSonline game, two minis, and the classic at a time, not compounding so you get a new one every month (so it sort of acts like a game rental in the way I'm imagining it to be). That's not really worth $50 a month when I don't buy games anyways, and the DLC is a big meh because I don't own either of the games and there's no guarantee that I'll have any of the other games later offered.
Yeah this is a good point, it doesn't actually say you get to 'keep' these games, and if you ever cancel your account you no longer get to play them so effectively your sub fee is a rental for the games you choose you download, they're not really free considering that PSN is free anyway.

IMO you'd be better off sticking with the free PSN and buying the games you want, given that you're probably going to actually really want only about 20% of the games they offer, which you know won't be current releases or anything too decent.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
So I get to pay $50 a year for essentially a game rental service? Uh, no thanks. The free DLC is kind of nice, but I imagine it's mostly things that I either a) own already if I was going to get it, like the Killzone 2 pack, or b) if I don't already have it, I wasn't planning on ever getting it. The free games are kind of nice too, but requiring an active subscription is crap. Those free games are worth a fraction of the subscription cost if I bought them otherwise, and I get to keep them without an active subscription.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Dorkmaster Flek said:
So I get to pay $50 a year for essentially a game rental service? Uh, no thanks. The free DLC is kind of nice, but I imagine it's mostly things that I either a) own already if I was going to get it, like the Killzone 2 pack, or b) if I don't already have it, I wasn't planning on ever getting it. The free games are kind of nice too, but requiring an active subscription is crap. Those free games are worth a fraction of the subscription cost if I bought them otherwise, and I get to keep them without an active subscription.
This. Paying money and ending up not owning anything is a no-go. I'd rather pay 20$ a year to actually buy the few PS1 classics that interest me (hypothetically, cause until now the only ones that did were the Oddworld games) and the "next" Flower. If they removed this useless feature, added chat and halved the cost I would subscribe for sure, but now no way.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Meh, if I wanted any of these things, I'd buy them on their own off the psn. This sounds really pointless to me.

This. Paying money and ending up not owning anything is a no-go. I'd rather pay 20$ a year to actually buy the few PS1 classics that interest me (hypothetically, cause until now the only ones that did were the Oddworld games) and the "next" Flower. If they removed this useless feature, added chat and halved the cost I would subscribe for sure, but now no way
Yeah, the Oddworld games are the only ps1 games I have ever bothered to download, and it came to about £14. The only other full games I ever bought of the psn was Warhawk and Wipeout. The only addons were for Warhawk and Killzone.

Seeing as I already have the majority of their biggest hits and DLCs, what's left to even bother with?

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Andronicus said:
Pfft, that sounds terrible. Even if I'm eligible for "free" games, I'm not going to continuously pay $70 a year for forever and a day just so I can play them. Besides, I'm not going to consider it until they include "customer service" in the list of benefits.
Well it depends mostly on how much someone spends on psn games to begin with. most psn game go from $10-$30 so $70 for what is sounding like 12 games (not counting 24 minis and 12 ps1 games) sounds fairly good. Besides how many years you plan on playing the same games anyway? you might as well buy that particular game for good then.

oranger

May 27, 2008
twm1709 said:
Andronicus said:
Pfft, that sounds terrible. Even if I'm eligible for "free" games, I'm not going to continuously pay $70 a year for forever and a day just so I can play them. Besides, I'm not going to consider it until they include "customer service" in the list of benefits.
Well it depends mostly on how much someone spends on psn games to begin with. most psn game go from $10-$30 so $70 for what is sounding like 12 games (not counting 24 minis and 12 ps1 games) sounds fairly good. Besides how many years you plan on playing the same games anyway? you might as well buy that particular game for good then.
do you happen to work for a game company currently involved in a similar subscription scheme?
but yeah, you're sorta right, how long do people intend to play those surgically removed mini games, probably stolen from an innocent ps3 title currently floating in a bathtub full of ice in a hotel room somewhere.
I won't be giving them my money, but some might.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Please stop using the word "free" for anything in that article. Because none of it is free. Just at a remarkably good value for money :p

so thats like $50-$60 US. Not a lot for a year, but nothing its offering makes it worth that money. I've lived without it all this time, i'll continue to live without it. Sorry Sony :(

...unless they put in cross game chat to but not from non-subscribers then i may consider it.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Its great that online play is still free. I will definitely get this once i get to my apartment once classes start and I have a job.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Cassassin said:
Are people even reading this properly? People on these comments are complaining because they think it's £70 a year or £50 a month?!
Anyway I want this myself, it's a good deal for $40 a year!
I think it's more like $50 a year in US currency. The argument is you never own the free games (only DLC/themes), and we don't know if they offer a selection of the games or if you are forced to only get certain ones. It's expensive, isn't necessary, and the only "feature" it adds is your PS3 can turn on automatically and think for itself to try and download updates...
EVERYONE! TAKE COVER! THEY'RE TRYING TO TURN PS3 INTO SELF-THINKING ROBOTS! THE ROBOT APOCALYPSE IS ON US, AND IT IS LEAD BY KEVIN BUTLER!

plus, I want my cross-game chat, but isn't worth $50. Also, for the people that wanted the PS3 for free online are going to be pissed (aka me) when you can't have all the features until you pay. Hopefully, they might give Plus users new games before releasing to public, and so it will just be a delay instead of "Only Plus Members May Buy This" and hopefully no disk games have features that are only unlocked with a Plus membership. Now say, if a Sony game came with a free month, it might be worth a look.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Well this depends on what it is. does it mean 6 free games a month I can choose, 6 that are offered, 6 that I get to keep? 6 that I'm renting?

Look for all the people saying "I'm not paying to rent" well do you use steam cause that's basically what your doing.

But still I feel it is to vague to put my money into it.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
I'm going to get it, but damn it all. This is the first I've heard that there's not going to be cross game chat. That truly bums me out. I was looking forward to Demon's Souls without Ventrilo. (I love that freakin' game. VonBrewskie is also my PSN name, so come get some in DS if you dare! bwahahahaha!)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Not bad! I have to admit it does hold my curiosity! Intresting system

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
oranger said:
twm1709 said:
do you happen to work for a game company currently involved in a similar subscription scheme?
Can't say if you're baiting me over ther :p
personally I won't be buying this. I'd rather play my PSOne game on my PSOne proper, could care less about minis and there's, like, 3 psn games I care about. I'm just trying to get in the mindset of someone who might be into this

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
A free PS1 classic you say? Hmm I do download those a lot... Any chance this will be able to be done on PSP (it said they can't be played without the subscription I think, so I am wondering if you have to be on PS3 because I don't think you stay signed in on the PSP) if so I just might pay for this...

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Ok, the price is certainly reasonable, but I do have some concerns: will the "free" games expire after one month, or is it like Steam where you can just download them again at your leisure? And secondly, will there be some selection of these "free" games, or do we just get 4 set titles every month? See, I really don't give a toss about sport games, or anything gimmicky, so...
Ok, DLCs and avatars do not interest me in the slightest, but it's a nice thing to be thrown in. I was thinking about getting a PS3 anyway, might as well keep an eye on this...