PlayStation Plus is Getting a Price Hike Next Month

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
PlayStation Plus is Getting a Price Hike Next Month

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1344/1344714.jpgSony is raising the price of PlayStation Plus next month.

If you're a PlayStation Plus subscriber, you should prepare to be paying more in September. Sony announced today in a post on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/27/playstation-plus-free-games-for-august-2016/] that the yearly and quarterly rates will be going up on September 22.

The new rates are:

$59.99 per year (previously $49.99)
$24.99 for three months (previously $17.99)
$9.99 monthly (same price)

If you have a current subscription, your rate will not go up until you renew. If you have the auto-renewal option turned on, your sub will renew at the new rate when the date comes up.

Sony says, "This marks the first time that PS Plus membership prices will increase in the U.S. and Canada since the launch of the service in 2010." If you aren't happy with the new rates, you can cancel your subscription by disabling the auto-renew option in your PlayStation Plus account.

If you do cancel, you'll lose access to any PS Plus games that you have acquired during your subscription. You'll also lose access to multiplayer on PS4.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Hope they can justify that price increase. Like maybe adding better games to the monthly free game thing. I heard on PS3 it was fantastic. But since i have had my PS4 not a lot of stuff has been put on, mainly Indie titles, which are great, and i can see why they do that, But come on Sony -.- Is a triple AAA game (heck doesn't even have to be AAA Just a decent game) + an Indie title to much to ask?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Good thing I just bought 3 years worth of PS+ for $40, which was actually advertised on here about a month back.

Buizel91 said:
Hope they can justify that price increase. Like maybe adding better games to the monthly free game thing. I heard on PS3 it was fantastic. But since i have had my PS4 not a lot of stuff has been put on, mainly Indie titles, which are great, and i can see why they do that, But come on Sony -.- Is a triple AAA game (heck doesn't even have to be AAA Just a decent game) + an Indie title to much to ask?
Yeah, PS+ on PS3 was so good I even had it while I was unemployed, it saved so much money for me. Once Sony made you pay for online, the PS+ free games have really dropped in quality.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Huh, didn't know you had to have PS+ to engage in any multiplayer. I must say I'm happy with my choice to not buy new consoles since I bought my 360 many years ago. I never liked that system when Microsoft did it and the idea has not grown on me.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Buizel91 said:

Back then plus wasn't tied to online play so they had to use enticing games like bioshock infinite, dragon's dogma, dmc and kingdoms of amalur to get people to subscribe. Ever since it was tied to ps4 netplay though the games are either really old or crappy indie titles nobody cares for.

What I do is I just get a month here and there to take advantage of the plus discounts or sales, as long as I don't do it more than 5 times a year it saves money. Oh and no ps4 yet, I use vita and ps3 and there's surprisingly few games worth getting a ps4 for right now. I think I'll get a neo.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ten dollars more a year for me. The price of a new game for a full year. I can stomach that. I think I could probably do seventy dollars before I start getting annoyed.
Buizel91 said:
The games on PS4 do seem to be a bit...lacking, I suppose. I still have a PS3 and check it regularly (the other month I got Siren: Blood Curse), but the PS4 games don't seem to pop as much. The only one so far that has interested me is Gone Home, but I never got around to downloading it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fuck you Sony. Make it worth it. I'm not the type to complain about paying for Plus or Live (cause people pay $180 a year for WoW, a single game) but seriously, that extra price better be paid back to us somehow.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
"exceptional value" is a phrase they are tossing around. On the surface people think " well 6 free games every month across the Vita, PS3, and PS4" but I don't touch my PS3 anymore, and don't own a Vita. So I guess it might be my own fault for expecting more. Still, if you're going to charge more, perhaps tossing in a few more AAA games and not some indie basement games, might be nice from time to time.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
dragongit said:
"exceptional value" is a phrase they are tossing around. On the surface people think " well 6 free games every month across the Vita, PS3, and PS4" but I don't touch my PS3 anymore, and don't own a Vita. So I guess it might be my own fault for expecting more. Still, if you're going to charge more, perhaps tossing in a few more AAA games and not some indie basement games, might be nice from time to time.
Well since you have a ps3, I have to tell you to go grab Yakuza 5 for free now. Absolutely one of the best games I've played, and you can get at least 100 hours out of the game if you're even a tiny bit of a completionist.

On topic though, this is not the greatest news. The last couple months (maybe last 6 or so) have had a very small amount of, lets say "worthy" games. The PS4's library still isn't that big, so the pool of potential free stuff is limited, but the amount of "bad indie" or "puzzle indie" games being offered and showcased is not inspiring confidence in this new price, since these games would be sold for near pocket change anyway, so offering them for free makes me think no one would play them otherwise. For fucks sake, on the PS4, the freaking PS4, there is a game being sold for $20(on sale for 14) called Solbrain Knight of Darkness, and it looks like actual garbage. I don't know how to embed on the Escapist, so I'll just post the direct link to it's trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9PPrdu4rPw

That trailer, by the way, is on the OFFICIAL Playstation youtube, as well as the PS store, and it's steam greenlight levels of horribleness. If stuff like this can make it on to PS4, I don't have high hopes for the future of ps stores offerings. That game from the trailer is so bad...just so bad, and it's so badly rated. 25 ratings on the ps store and it's got 2 stars after being released for a week or something, on top of the trailer dislikes, with 11k people out of 500k views thumbing it down.

Xbox's selection hasn't been the greatest either, but it seems like they've spread out the indie offerings a little better.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
Only game I'm looking forward to is Nioh an I really can't say I care about its multiplayer aspects. Maybe I should just go renew my xbox live account so I can get my shit pushed in on Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike Online Edition.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
For the heck of it i checked the inflation on 50$ in the last six years, it only bumps it to $55.18. i'm pretty ambivalent to the change (too poor to afford the old price XD) so this is just offered for perspective.

Source: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I didn't have it before, and won't get it now either. So far the only thing I'm missing out on is my Doom trophies being locked behind a pay wall, unless they have bots I really haven't checked as multiplayer doesn't interest me in that game.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I don't wanna be a PC master racist over here, but it's funny since Humble Monthly gives you 8 games for 12$ which you can all play* on the same machine.

Though, granted, the last pack with BO3 multiplayer was kind of shit.

* if your rig can handle all of them.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
PC, here I come!

Well, in 11 months, when I assume the next in the RX 480 or GTX 1060 lines come out. Do graphics cards do that? Yearly releases?

PS+ is maybe the most insulting thing about my PS4. The free games are hot garbage in comparison to the PS3 and PSP, and it's required for online play. So PS+ for PS4 is literally a lose-lose situation.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Looking through the PS4's free games list, I found a couple classics I wouldn't mind going back to - Hawken and Neverwinter. But whatev, I pay monthly so this doesn't actually affect me.
Bob_McMillan said:
PC, here I come!

Well, in 11 months, when I assume the next in the RX 480 or GTX 1060 lines come out. Do graphics cards do that? Yearly releases?
Pretty much, though this year's releases are "special" in that they are the result of 6-7 years of R&D and are actually half the price of the previous models and not more expensive. A price drop on new inventory was kinda expected with how ridiculously overpriced the Titans and R9s were getting. This is why most people went the GTX route rather than buying one of the bigger boutique cards. Plus, yay, small refund because the back 512 of the 970s were of such low quality they might have not been there at all. But that's a dead horse I'd rather not beat.