PlayStation Plus Subscribers Triple In Volume Since PS4 Launch

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
PlayStation Plus Subscribers Triple In Volume Since PS4 Launch

Sony UK boss Fergal Gara has revealed a graph showing how rapidly PS+ subscriber rates has hiked up in the last three months.

At Sony's press conference where it announced the UK release of the the PlayStation Vita Slim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131821-PS-Vita-Slim-Dated-and-Priced-for-UK-No-Word-on-North-America], Sony UK boss Fergal Gara showed a graph on a monitor that highlights the impressive rate PlayStation Plus' subscriber base has progressed month after month. While no official numbers have been revealed by Sony, one look at the graph shows a massive uptick in the last three months, which is the same time frame the PlayStation 4 launched.

It's logical to surmise that one of the big -- if not the biggest -- reason PS+ subscribers have increased in volume is due to the PS4 requiring users to be members before they can play online for most games. Of course, Sony's offering of "free" games for the service hasn't been shabby, either.

For February, PS+ members [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131836-PS-Plus-Adding-Metro-Last-Light-PayDay-2-to-Instant-Game-Collection-in-February] will be able to play Outlast for free on the PS4, Metro: Last Light, Payday 2, Remember Me on the PS3, and ModNation Racers: Road Trip and Street Fighter X Tekken on the PS Vita as part of the Instant Game Collection.

Are you a member of PS+? If so, what do you think of it so far and what improvements would you want Sony to implement in the future?

Source: DualShockers [https://twitter.com/thesixthaxis/status/428827670991081472]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well like you said it makes sense considering it's mandatory for online now, like Xbox Live. Great service regardless though, the only thing that annoys me about it is the different games for different regions. Just makes it confusing whenever you see on various websites "PS Plus users get...this month" and it turns out that it's always the American PS Plus users.

JustCallMeJonny

Oct 26, 2013
Andy Shandy said:
the only thing that annoys me about it is the different games for different regions.
You also get people moaning that other regions are getting better free games than they are every month.

If it were the same games for all regions, then we would be able to have better discussions about older games that were on offer because everybody has had a chance to play through them.

I heard it had to do with licensing or something along those lines. Kind of like how Netflix has different stuff for each region.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Well like you said it makes sense considering it's mandatory for online now, like Xbox Live.
And considering that half (or more) of the content of games now-a-days is for online play, it would be a waste to have a ps4 and not plus.

I was actually going to replace my gamefly subscription with ps+ (as its cheaper and most of the games I rent are for the ps3 anyway) but the announcement that it would be required for ps4 online play turned me off. Turned me off to the ps4 as well; I was ready to buy one until that announcement. It kind of raises the price of a launch ps4 from $400 to $900, you just pay half in installments. The xblg requirement (along with the rrod) is one of the main reasons I never got a 360.

Kegluneq

Aug 3, 2010
PS+ is amazingly good value. If you own just one Sony console, it's worth your money. If you have two or more, it's a complete non-brainer. Perhaps a lot of the new members already had a PS3 but hadn't yet justified the investment?

At the risk of looking pedantic, the y axis isn't labelled on that chart, so we don't actually know if it's tripled or just gone up sharply... It really wouldn't surprise me though, and I hope Sony respond by investing even more in the service.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Is this before or after accounting for the fact that all PS4s come with a free month of PS+?

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Long before the PS4 launched I was a bit surprised by how many people on my PSN friends list had PS Plus.

Having said that, I am one of the people who has joined PS Plus over the holidays despite not owning a PS4 (yet). If you're interested in the games you get then it's well worth it. The other features are a bonus.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
It's hardly supprsing as Playstation Plus has been made effectivley mandatory for PS4 users. I won't be subscribing because i care very little about multiplayer and while the freebees are nice they don't hold much appeal to me as i barely get time to play the games i buy these days let alone download and play others.