PlayStation Plus Subscriptions Actually Catching On

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Torrasque said:
Mornelithe said:
Torrasque said:
So now I can laugh at PS3 owners who claim their online multiplayer is better than Xblive, AND free?!
Awesome!
Yeah, just like PC Gamers have been laughing at Live users =)

Awesome!
lol, pretty much.
I still enjoy my xbox as much as my computer, and ironically enough, most of the game/tech support I get for any xbox games, goes through the computer.
I was raised on consoles, so thats just the way I am /shrug
Just a heads up, so you don't get into this situation in RL. Playstation Plus doesn't improve multi-player peformance or something like that. The service basically gives a jumble of free/discounted shit, as well as giving you priority for Beta invites. So, I mean, PS3's multi-player is still free. PC is also, it's just a much more established and open framework (to be expected, of course).

And there's nothing wrong with playing on console, I have one, I just primarily game on PC.
 

StONEdeF

New member
Aug 7, 2009
19
0
0
Jumplion said:
The "free" games you get you are allowed to keep until your subscription expires, so if you're still playing Stacking after a whole year then you might as well pony up some dough already.
But when you get a new subscription, say a couple of days after your previous one expires, you can play those games again.
 

ace_of_something

New member
Sep 19, 2008
5,995
0
0
Of my 25 friends on PSN. Two have the playstation plus thing. Of those two I think one actually downloads stuff with the 'discount' often enough that she's breaking even.
 

Jumplion

New member
Mar 10, 2008
7,873
0
0
StONEdeF said:
Jumplion said:
The "free" games you get you are allowed to keep until your subscription expires, so if you're still playing Stacking after a whole year then you might as well pony up some dough already.
But when you get a new subscription, say a couple of days after your previous one expires, you can play those games again.
So, yeah, you can do that to.
 

Torrasque

New member
Aug 6, 2010
3,441
0
0
Mornelithe said:
Torrasque said:
Mornelithe said:
Torrasque said:
So now I can laugh at PS3 owners who claim their online multiplayer is better than Xblive, AND free?!
Awesome!
Yeah, just like PC Gamers have been laughing at Live users =)

Awesome!
lol, pretty much.
I still enjoy my xbox as much as my computer, and ironically enough, most of the game/tech support I get for any xbox games, goes through the computer.
I was raised on consoles, so thats just the way I am /shrug
Just a heads up, so you don't get into this situation in RL. Playstation Plus doesn't improve multi-player peformance or something like that. The service basically gives a jumble of free/discounted shit, as well as giving you priority for Beta invites. So, I mean, PS3's multi-player is still free. PC is also, it's just a much more established and open framework (to be expected, of course).

And there's nothing wrong with playing on console, I have one, I just primarily game on PC.
Yep, I know.
I'm just gonna use this as ammo to troll PS3 users, and tell them their service isn't free anymore.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Torrasque said:
Yep, I know.
I'm just gonna use this as ammo to troll PS3 users, and tell them their service isn't free anymore.
Except that very few PS3 owners have PSPlus, and therefore the majority of those you're going to troll will know you're full of it. ;)
 

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
4,794
0
0
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well my PS3 seems to be constantly knackered so I'm a bit wary about shelling out for a subscription.

If I used my PS3 more often I may actually get it. I don't think it's a rip off, but it's more for the dedicated PS3 gamer.
With Plus (I'm not sure about regular membership) they do sell continuations of your warranty. Just an FYI.

OT: As a PS Plus subscriber I both love and hate Plus. While the game selection of "free" stuff is kinda nice, it's also kinda lacking. Don't get me wrong, getting Spyro 1 & 2 for free along with Crash Team Racing was nice, but the minis and regular games seem to be just thrown on there because they aren't very good... Minus all 5 episodes of Sam & Max :D
They sell extended warantees to everyone. Thin is with Sony it's "replace" not repair so I will lose everything on my HDD. I use a 3rd party repairer since Sony charge £130 to fix a YLOD, but other companies repair it for half that, and you keep all your data.
 

The_Fezz

New member
Oct 21, 2010
157
0
0
I got Lead and Gold and Stacking this month, so I'm chuffed.

(That means happy or pleased, non-brits.)
 

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
2,306
0
0
thenumberthirteen said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well my PS3 seems to be constantly knackered so I'm a bit wary about shelling out for a subscription.

If I used my PS3 more often I may actually get it. I don't think it's a rip off, but it's more for the dedicated PS3 gamer.
With Plus (I'm not sure about regular membership) they do sell continuations of your warranty. Just an FYI.

OT: As a PS Plus subscriber I both love and hate Plus. While the game selection of "free" stuff is kinda nice, it's also kinda lacking. Don't get me wrong, getting Spyro 1 & 2 for free along with Crash Team Racing was nice, but the minis and regular games seem to be just thrown on there because they aren't very good... Minus all 5 episodes of Sam & Max :D
They sell extended warantees to everyone. Thin is with Sony it's "replace" not repair so I will lose everything on my HDD. I use a 3rd party repairer since Sony charge £130 to fix a YLOD, but other companies repair it for half that, and you keep all your data.
.... Ouch. Yeah, I've lost all my data before. Not fun.
 

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
4,794
0
0
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
.... Ouch. Yeah, I've lost all my data before. Not fun.
Well they lost it because they gave me a completely different machine with a freshly formatted drive.
 

faefrost

New member
Jun 2, 2010
1,280
0
0
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well my PS3 seems to be constantly knackered so I'm a bit wary about shelling out for a subscription.

If I used my PS3 more often I may actually get it. I don't think it's a rip off, but it's more for the dedicated PS3 gamer.
With Plus (I'm not sure about regular membership) they do sell continuations of your warranty. Just an FYI.

OT: As a PS Plus subscriber I both love and hate Plus. While the game selection of "free" stuff is kinda nice, it's also kinda lacking. Don't get me wrong, getting Spyro 1 & 2 for free along with Crash Team Racing was nice, but the minis and regular games seem to be just thrown on there because they aren't very good... Minus all 5 episodes of Sam & Max :D
As another PS+ subscriber I will state that I am in a similar state of mixed opinion.

Some elements of it are fantastic. The Beta's have been great, DCU etc. Plus I got to Beta the Hulu premium service and figure out that it just wasn't there yet.

I've gotten alot of enjoyment out of some of the "free" titles, while others have been somewhat lacking.

I have actually made some good use of the discounts offered. But I am mixed at hom much of a savings this comes to. Granted alot of the downloadable titles I would have paid full price for anyway, but yeah some I might have just skipped without the nagging feeling that I must make good use of my discount.

Overall my experiences have been fairly positive, but it is still a bit pricey and an ineeded luxury for what it offers. Now if they were to finally bolt on an out of game Voice chat system? Yeah then we would have something worth the price.
 

faefrost

New member
Jun 2, 2010
1,280
0
0
thenumberthirteen said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well my PS3 seems to be constantly knackered so I'm a bit wary about shelling out for a subscription.

If I used my PS3 more often I may actually get it. I don't think it's a rip off, but it's more for the dedicated PS3 gamer.
With Plus (I'm not sure about regular membership) they do sell continuations of your warranty. Just an FYI.

OT: As a PS Plus subscriber I both love and hate Plus. While the game selection of "free" stuff is kinda nice, it's also kinda lacking. Don't get me wrong, getting Spyro 1 & 2 for free along with Crash Team Racing was nice, but the minis and regular games seem to be just thrown on there because they aren't very good... Minus all 5 episodes of Sam & Max :D
They sell extended warantees to everyone. Thin is with Sony it's "replace" not repair so I will lose everything on my HDD. I use a 3rd party repairer since Sony charge £130 to fix a YLOD, but other companies repair it for half that, and you keep all your data.
The trick there is to actually Backup your PS3 every once in awhile. You actually can back all your installed games, game data, saves, etc up onto a USB drive or flash drive.
 

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
4,794
0
0
faefrost said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well my PS3 seems to be constantly knackered so I'm a bit wary about shelling out for a subscription.

If I used my PS3 more often I may actually get it. I don't think it's a rip off, but it's more for the dedicated PS3 gamer.
With Plus (I'm not sure about regular membership) they do sell continuations of your warranty. Just an FYI.

OT: As a PS Plus subscriber I both love and hate Plus. While the game selection of "free" stuff is kinda nice, it's also kinda lacking. Don't get me wrong, getting Spyro 1 & 2 for free along with Crash Team Racing was nice, but the minis and regular games seem to be just thrown on there because they aren't very good... Minus all 5 episodes of Sam & Max :D
They sell extended warantees to everyone. Thin is with Sony it's "replace" not repair so I will lose everything on my HDD. I use a 3rd party repairer since Sony charge £130 to fix a YLOD, but other companies repair it for half that, and you keep all your data.
The trick there is to actually Backup your PS3 every once in awhile. You actually can back all your installed games, game data, saves, etc up onto a USB drive or flash drive.
Well I backed up my saves a month or two before it broke. I still lost all my videos, installed games (I re-downloaded them though), and recorded TV shows and movies.

Can you back up from just the HDD? As in take out the drive and copy the files manually?
 

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
17,032
0
0
Stacking is free for PS Plus users. And I want a membership really badly now...I could always use new themes!
 

faefrost

New member
Jun 2, 2010
1,280
0
0
thenumberthirteen said:
faefrost said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Well my PS3 seems to be constantly knackered so I'm a bit wary about shelling out for a subscription.

If I used my PS3 more often I may actually get it. I don't think it's a rip off, but it's more for the dedicated PS3 gamer.
With Plus (I'm not sure about regular membership) they do sell continuations of your warranty. Just an FYI.

OT: As a PS Plus subscriber I both love and hate Plus. While the game selection of "free" stuff is kinda nice, it's also kinda lacking. Don't get me wrong, getting Spyro 1 & 2 for free along with Crash Team Racing was nice, but the minis and regular games seem to be just thrown on there because they aren't very good... Minus all 5 episodes of Sam & Max :D
They sell extended warantees to everyone. Thin is with Sony it's "replace" not repair so I will lose everything on my HDD. I use a 3rd party repairer since Sony charge £130 to fix a YLOD, but other companies repair it for half that, and you keep all your data.
The trick there is to actually Backup your PS3 every once in awhile. You actually can back all your installed games, game data, saves, etc up onto a USB drive or flash drive.
Well I backed up my saves a month or two before it broke. I still lost all my videos, installed games (I re-downloaded them though), and recorded TV shows and movies.

Can you back up from just the HDD? As in take out the drive and copy the files manually?
Probably not. The PS3 hard drive uses a non standard file format and partition table, so whatever you would be using to try and copy it with would probably not be able to read it. The only way I have seen is to do the Backup to USB and restore. Even a PS3 will not read a PS3 hard drive if it is plugged into its USB ports via a drive cage. The only way I could see to do it would be to do a direct sector by sector clone of the drive. Which may require some sort of hardware cloning setup. But even then the Backup?restore option will let you put in a larger cheaper drive of your own choosing. A hardware clone would require the same drive type.
 

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
1,024
0
0
Well if PSN offered a non-buggy multi-player experience I would consider it. I really think that has been a major issue with PSN. Almost every big title has mention of it. The Multi-player works great on XBL but there are bugs on PSN for weeks. If there was some assurance that paying the $50 a year would fix that, I think they would have major sign-up rates.
 

nipsen

New member
Sep 20, 2008
521
0
0
Only problem with it is that if you purchase a PSN+ download, you lose the right to use the software once your subscription ends.

As it is without it - you can play the game as much as you want, and then re-download it at a later time through the links in the psn-store. With psn+, you lose the game when your subscription expires (it becomes invalidated on your ps3 automatically). And you can't download it from the store again. Which is hilarious, since most of the psn+ titles have a very small price-cut - and the non-promoted titles have no bonus at all.

Of course - the psn-store doesn't actually inform you of this when you buy a title. Instead it only focuses on the small price-cut. Misleading at best, basically. For those of us who don't actually get a movie-service along with the subscription (this is most of the world) - it's definitively not worth it. If you take a look at how many titles you actually need to buy in order to save back the subscription as well, you're ending up with a very high number. Much higher than what even very eager buyers will purchase.

What's the word I'm looking for here again.. "fraud"?