PlayStation the Second Most Subscribed-To Brand on YouTube

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PlayStation the Second Most Subscribed-To Brand on YouTube

Beaten only by Red Bull, PlayStation's YouTube channel has more subscribers than any other brand.

While all signs are pointing to the PlayStation 4 being a sales hit of record breaking proportions, there is still always a chance that the tides come somehow turn against Sony. For instance, perhaps one day all the people who pre-ordered the console will wake up one day, realize that they really actually like the new Kinect and cancel their PS4 pre-orders if favor of the Xbox One. Statistically speaking, the odds of such a mass exodus are probably on the "ain't-never-gonna-happen" end of the spectrum, but it's still technically possible.

If that somehow still happens however, there may be some light solace for Sony. According to Statista, <a href=http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation>PlayStation is the second most subscribed to brand on YouTube, beating out other big game industry names like RockStar, Apple, Rovio and Ubisoft, all of which also ranked in the top ten. Microsoft and the Xbox brand were nowhere to be found on the list. Ranking above PlayStation in the number one spot was <a href=http://www.youtube.com/user/redbull>Red Bull, which apparently draws a lot of viewers with its presumably caffeinated sports videos.

So that's something, right? Even if Sony doesn't manage to sell millions of consoles the PlayStation brand has millions of channel subscribers interested in free videos about the product line. There are tons of people who would kill for that kind of following! So again, Sony probably won't need it, but if a blizzard grounds all the PS4 supply planes (or something), there is a silver lining, sort of.

Source: Statista

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Red Bull have the air race, extreme sports, F1 and eSports. I am not surprised in the slightest that they are no.1 on Youtube. I am surprised that Playstation are no.2, is this literally just for the PS brand or is it Sony as a whole? Either way, amusing that Microsoft are nowhere to be seen!

No.9, DC Shoes? Really?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
AldUK said:
Either way, amusing that Microsoft are nowhere to be seen!
Well, theese are brands (not companies) so it would be (correctly) amusing to say that Xbox or Windows is nowhere to be seen.

Im also a bit surprised that Call of Duty didnt make this list.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Am I the only one surprised by the "low" number of subscribers for these brands? Playstation is a pretty big brand with decades (two of them) of name recognition. But it only has two million subscribers? Seems a bit low. And most of these Top Ten channels have fewer than one million. I would have expected these numbers to be a lot higher. Maybe I'm a bit naive as to Youtube culture or something, I just would have thought these would be higher.

Also, I've never even heard of DC Shoes, and I'm really surprised that Pepsi beats out Coke. And even by the fact that the Xbox Channel isn't even on the list. I may despise everything that the Xbox One represents, but I'm really surprised that Xbox isn't on the list. Or Nintendo? You would think that if there was an official Mario Channel, that would have a few million subscribers.

Anyway, I suppose this is interesting, but ultimately irrelevant. Unless they make tons of money off the channel (I don't know what Youtube's policies would be regarding companies and their channels), I doubt this is that big a deal.

batti

Mar 18, 2009
Saltyk said:
Am I the only one surprised by the "low" number of subscribers for these brands? Playstation is a pretty big brand with decades (two of them) of name recognition. But it only has two million subscribers? Seems a bit low. And most of these Top Ten channels have fewer than one million. I would have expected these numbers to be a lot higher. Maybe I'm a bit naive as to Youtube culture or something, I just would have thought these would be higher.

Also, I've never even heard of DC Shoes, and I'm really surprised that Pepsi beats out Coke. And even by the fact that the Xbox Channel isn't even on the list. I may despise everything that the Xbox One represents, but I'm really surprised that Xbox isn't on the list. Or Nintendo? You would think that if there was an official Mario Channel, that would have a few million subscribers.

Anyway, I suppose this is interesting, but ultimately irrelevant. Unless they make tons of money off the channel (I don't know what Youtube's policies would be regarding companies and their channels), I doubt this is that big a deal.
Maybe the low subscriber numbers for those channels can be explained by the fact that people don't subscribe to what s basically ad-channels. Perhaps a better comparison would be to compare the amount of video views(total accumulated views on all their videos).

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm genuinely surprised that Old Spice isn't doing better.

P.S. Thanks

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Saltyk said:

i never subscribe to such channels. all they are are basically channels for advertisement. if what they did instead was spot stuff like "lets play with developers" then you would get much more subscribers. but people hardly subscribe for "playstation 4 trailer #2"