Please explain Electronic music

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
To me electronic is a experience.

You won't find it on my iPod and you'll never catch me listening too it much.

However I love myself a good party with it.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
ChaoticKraus said:
WAT

No seriously, what are you talking about? BPM is one of the worst ways to differentiate between genres (except for Hardcore, which seems to be anything around 170-180 from my experience) Techno actually can be just about any BPM, though I'm not really sure if what you posted was Techno unless Techno has a sub-genre that sounds like Eurotrance. House can go anywhere from 110-150 depending on the genre. I don't know enough about trance to give you an estimate on that.

Hardstyle is actually around 150BPM (Jesus Christ the song you posted was 150BPM).

What DJ circles do you hang around?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Thistlehart said:
What are the subgenres, and what are some examples of those?
Who are your favorites?
Wikipedia makes a distinction between "electronic dance music" and "electronica." The latter being a fusion-genre umbrella term with its own set of subgenres.

Honestly, there are too many genres to list in this post [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres], and I'm too lazy to find you good samples of each, considering I myself only have minimal knowledge of electronic music as a whole.

Providing my favorites is a much easier request. Anamanaguchi [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtq9oYVGSH8] (chiptune), Cravan Palace [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY1YKHSTIi0] (electroswing) and Pendulum [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ9JT1WOGjk] (drum and bass) would probably be my current favorites. I also enjoy nightcore [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmOD-BvrkY] and trance [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNEsv4PaEk] music, but I haven't found any specific artists yet.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
z121231211 said:
ChaoticKraus said:
snip aswell
They (me aswell i guess) might very well be ignorant to the ways of techno/trance/hardstyle due to house and hip-hop/RnB/reggaeton making up for about 80% of the music played in clubs around here.

My two cents is that BPM can be used to keep genres apart in laymans terms without having to go into production quirks and other advanced stuff most people don't really understand.

I have never heard a house track go above mid 130ish, don't you lose the distinctive 4/4 bass thump otherwise? You are right about the hardstyle though, that was retarded of me. I removed the spoiler thingie.

If you are more familiar with Techno/Trance i'd appreciate the specifics that keeps them distinct from the mass.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
Here's a great example of a Trip-Hop tune.

fixed that for you ;) Still Portishead, but within the Top20ish of my MusicVideo Favs

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
ChaoticKraus said:
z121231211 said:
ChaoticKraus said:
snip aswell
They (me aswell i guess) might very well be ignorant to the ways of techno/trance/hardstyle due to house and hip-hop/RnB/reggaeton making up for about 80% of the music played in clubs around here.

My two cents is that BPM can be used to keep genres apart in laymans terms without having to go into production quirks and other advanced stuff most people don't really understand.

I have never heard a house track go above mid 130ish, don't you lose the distinctive 4/4 bass thump otherwise? You are right about the hardstyle though, that was retarded of me. I removed the spoiler thingie.

If you are more familiar with Techno/Trance i'd appreciate the specifics that keeps them distinct from the mass.
IMO you can't really use BPM to differentiate between House/Techno/Trance because they overlap a lot BPM wise. I only really know House and Techno and differentiating between those can be hard on lower BPMs around 130. From what I've heard Techno is more about subtle changes and usually the percussion "flows" rather than giving a distinct easy to identify rhythm that House music does. Trance (and I don't listen to much at all so take this with a grain of salt) is a lot more focused on the melody rather than the percussion.

And I agree it is pretty rare to hear a House song go above 135, but there's a genre called Hard House which is pretty much sped up house, though from what I've heard most of it sounds like slowed-down Hardcore.

I recommend listening to some songs by Boriqua Tribez to get a feel how Techno sounds like. The "Techno" you posted sounded like what you'd find if you searched "Techno" on youtube aka Eurotrance aka Not Actually Techno. But really I don't know all the varieties of Techno so there might be a highly melodic sub-genre of Techno but I highly doubt it as that would go against all the basic principles of the Techno I've heard.
Could Be minimal, though unsure what specific sub-genre this one is. (~130 BPM)Techno (135-140)Hardgroove Techno (I think the previous track could be considered Hardgroove but I'm not 100% sure)Schranz/Hard Techno (155-160)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Thistlehart said:
Vault101 said:
ohhh boy

I thourght this was going ot be one of those "I dont get why people like it? tell me why do people like it?" threads

anyway..all I can say is that electronic music as a whole should never be refered too as simply techno
Heh, I hadn't realized I'd worded it quite that way. Oh well, it now serves a dual purpose. ;)

So is "techno" a dirty word in the EM lexicon? Please educate me.
oh..no no its jsut a sub genre like any other

its jsut somtimes people use it to describe all electronic, I assosiate techno with loud, boring obnoxious dance music..so it kind of rubs me the wrong way when people do that

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Thistlehart said:
purf said:
Didn't want to come across condescending or something, but you see, if you say "bird" or "red", then we both know what you're talking about. If you say, for example, "dubstep", you could refer to the aforementioned James Blake or to some unrelated funfair music to ride bumber cars by.
Fair enough.

Though I posit this thought. If both represent dubstep, and James Blake is of higher quality (as I assume you suggest by your comparison), certainly there is value in the "funfair" tune despite it's apparent inferiority. Even if what it provides is a list of "don'ts". Yes?

It would say, "This is also dubstep, but it shows how the elements of the genre can be poorly implemented."

Ultimately, that becomes an aspect of taste and preference. I've heard some funfair music that was quite... well... fun.

But I digress. This is also why I asked for samples, if people were willing.
Uhm, No :) While I do think that Skrillex, who I was referring to (as someone may have guessed;), is inferior to - examplary - James Blake, but that is indeed just my subjective taste and preference, unrelated to any notions of quality. What I'm saying is that I find it highly problematic to just constitute a Genre through the presence of, in this particular example, the lowest common denominator: offbeat/complicated drums while the actual tracks, that is: the general artistic approaches in question and thus their "vibe" are dramatically different.
It is as if the dividers for musicals genres were applied to painting, people would only be able to say "Oh, I like blues", by which this (Van Gogh) and this (Yves Klein) would become the same.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Jasper Jeffs said:
I like breakcore, or something.
Might like some of these...

Might have already heard them...

Happy listening :)

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Early electronic musicians included Pink Floyd, The Who, Brian Eno and Kraftwerk.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
Jasper Jeffs said:
I like breakcore...
This man, has a good musical taste. :)
I'm a fan of breakcore as well. I love myself some Venetian snares and the like.

I listen to most kinds of electronic music, heck I listen to most kinds of music, but Venetian Snares and Enduser are probably my "most played" electronic artists, if you don't count hip-hop in the electronic-genre.

As an added bonus, I love Otto Von Schirach. I have no idea what kind of music it is, but it's awesome.

The last video is from a live show I'd die to see. Seems f**king wild.

II2

Mar 13, 2010

This is a pretty comprehensive documentary of EDM, if you've got 90 minutes to kill.