Please explain why this game mechanic is getting so popular. (salt warning)

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Its because modern developers have no idea how to make good games and they mistakenly think that stupid mechanics like this are "deep".

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I completely understand the delay thing in games like Horizon. So far it has practically eliminated unintentional actions due to multiple functions being mapped to the same button, or the random nature of loot/item/etc icons on the screen during play. It's something that has legitimately irked me in other games where something like what quite a few people above have already explained happens, because there wasn't a simple and effective function like this.

To me the delay isn't really long enough to be annoying. It beats the delay or snafu from unintended actions.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
trunkage said:
I seem to remember holding button being in at least Far Cry 3 (I think even in 2). Its been around for a long time
The first time I saw this was in fable 2, but it was in far cry 3 that made me want to stab things. It's quite simply the largest issue with the far cry games.

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
Xsjadoblayde said:
guess it's a less intrusive way of the "are you sure?" selection screen. People do make mistakes at times, me included. Then there are the actions that take up a button that is already being used for something more reactionary, such as reloading. There are games have the reload and search mapped to same buttons, so you dont wanna be in the middle of a firefight trying to to reload whereupon your character suddenly gives in to the urge to molest the nearest corpse instead.
Pretty sure this is the most logical explanation.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I think because so many games have so many mechanics they need to double-up, so press and hold is different than tap. Same reason double tap the forward button usually meant sprint. Need to open that door or pick up the whatever? Press and hold []. Need to crouch? Tap [].

It doesn't really bother me, and its been this way for a very good long while. Like well over 5 years. Hell Bioshock had a tap vs tap and hold mechanics for ducking/picking up items.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
It's the confirmation screens to confirm your confirmation that annoy me.

ME: Andromeda is a terrible offender. The damn button even saves 'Save and Confirm' and then pops up another message asking if you are sure you want to confirm!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
votemarvel said:
It's the confirmation screens to confirm your confirmation that annoy me.

ME: Andromeda is a terrible offender. The damn button even saves 'Save and Confirm' and then pops up another message asking if you are sure you want to confirm!
I am thankful for the hold button in it though. I would have extracted while driving if not for it.