Please, Film These Games!

Adaephon

Jun 15, 2009
smartyknickers said:
A Legend of Zelda movie could work, but that would mean giving link a voice and developing him as a character which would be quite interesting/frightening.

skylog said:
I'm disappointed in no mention of Ace Attorney. C'mon, it's got comedic pacing like My Cousin Vinny, human drama like Twelve Angry Men, and goofy mysteries like A Shot in the Dark. This is one that could definitely work.

I mean, it's already a stage show!
Second. Give the part of Edgeworth to Johnny Depp and you've got a box office success right there, along with all the inevitable Hot Topic merchandise.
Yes, but can you name an actor who could pull of the sheer awsomenss that is Gumshoe?

Jackel86

May 3, 2008
Cyrax987 said:
MacNille said:
Red dead would be awsome if they have cameo of Clint Eastwood.
He can be Landon Ricketts!
What!? We all know Landon Ricketts would have to be played by Sam Elliot. They practically bump-mapped him for the character model.

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
EightGaugeHippo said:
Anyone think a Bioshock movie would be good? I just noticed that it wasnt on the list and thought I would throw that out there.
I would say a movie set in the world of Bioshock might work (perhaps a prequel or maybe the story of Mark Meltzer), one based on the games themselves I doubt it.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Mstrswrd said:
Falseprophet said:
where vampires are monsters, end of story...
Alucard is a Dhampire (half Vampire, half human), thank you very much.

Plus, making him evil kind of does exactly what we always hate when games become movies. They change characters from one thing to another.

I wouldn't even want him in the movie, since he wasn't in the first Castlevania at all, and if we're adapting the first Castlevania, well, you get it.

If, by some odd chance, they did place him in, he would probably be better as an ultimately neutral party, because that's what his character tends to be. He tends to leave the vampire/monster slaying up to the Belmonts and allied clans, and stays out of it (usually, he sleeps). Only occasionaly does he join in (he's been in, what, 4 games out of the 20 or so that took place from Castlevania 3 onwards?)

Really, though, if the movie was made, and it did well, they should follow the games. 1st movie, just Simon. Second movie, Simon again. 3rd movie, Simon, Alucard, the other two I never use.

Yeah, that.

Also, if I was rude, I apologize.
Now if there is one Alucard that would transition into a damn good movie, it would be of the anime Hellsing. I think Hellsing could be one of the coolest things to see in live-action EVER.

They're doing The Last Airbender, which kind of came out of left field, so, hey, you never know.

P.S: FLCL, and keep Keanu Reeves the HELL away from Cowboy Bebop

Now, finally, good work on the list, Bob. And if anyone rages over the lack of Portal on the list, please shut up. All that can and will happen in the game, is right in front of you. No chance to expand, and it would probably get very boring if followed strictly. Not to mention that the only dialogue in the game is from GLADoS. This isn't Interstella 5555 damnit...

...Though I totally wish it was...

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
pneuma08 said:
Earthbound and its sequel have such good well-themed stories with a lot going on. If someone translated them into book or movie form I'd be there in a heartbeat. I think the problem with them and Hollywood, though, is that they're *weird*. I mean, a group of kids fighting blobs of puke, animated objects, aliens, and even crazed animals with baseball bats, frying pans, pop guns and bottle rockets, bolstered by psychic powers. A lot goes on that isn't shown on-screen, too.

Anyway, I think games make more sense to be chronicled as a TV miniseries than a movie. They're paced very similarly, I'd say.
Can you IMAGINE a live-action sequence of Giygas?

I wouldn't sleep for weeks!

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I don't get Moviebob sometimes. He calls out Halo as being an 'ultra dumb machismo fest of gun nuts and crazy power fantasies that should never be filmed' and then happily says that Gears of War, a game featuring chainsaw guns and tanks with monster truck wheels and guys who look like living blobs of muscle, that it should go ahead and get filmed for basically all the same reasons he called out on Halo.

It just seems very hypocritical if you ask me because it's like he's saying machismo is fine unless you are Halo. Same with how he seems to think that not having an original story is not a problem, again unless you are Halo. Or that being a fan of a franchise butchered by a poorly done adaptation then you have every right to complain about it unless (you guessed it) the franchise in question is Halo, in which case he'll mock you for it.

Bugger me, why does this guy who for the most part I have atmost respect for have to keep bending his own rules like that just so that he can continue to rag on Halo. It just blows my mind.

Okay, anyway. For the most part I agree with this list, except for Mass Effect which as I've pointed out before wouldn't work because everyone in the world has a very specific idea of how 'their' Shepard works and how the main events in the game would go down and ultimatley it's hard to make an adaptation of a games canon if the canon itself is never set in stone.
That said even though I had a bit of a rant to get through on the topic of Gears of War I do reckon that a mildly satirical adaptation of the sheer heavy amount of masculinity on display in Gears of War would still be pretty fun to watch as a nice bit of shut off the brain and have fun.

Also Metroid would work as would Mega-man and given that nostaliga is a great way to make movies then I don't doubt that it'll happen sometime in the future. However it still has to be worth noting (as Bob said in his review of Prince of Persia) most of the best game movies are based on games that already feel like movies so Red Dead Redeption would just feel like a cowboy movie as it doesn't really have the instantly recognisable characters like Samus or Masterchief or Mario or Link or Sonic that would get people's attention.

So for a game movie to 'work' then it has to still clearly feel very gameish (not really a word) while also being cinematic. So for the most part realistic games like Call of Duty and such don't really count as there's nothing about them that as a translation would look all that gamey or interesting in a film adaptation. It would just be a contemporary war story.
No aliens, no mushrooms and no go carts.

But still for the most part I agree with and respect Bob's opinion. He certainly chose some good games that could potentially be made into a good adaptation. That said I still had to get that rant off my chest.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
I'm actually a little surprised you didn't put Kirby on the list. I personally can't think of ANYTHING that would make for a better movie adaptation right now. For one: CGI is good enough now to make it "realistic" even though it's cartoony.
Secondly: it's not really like any movie that already exists. Maybe some anime, but let's not count that. =P Dreamland is a world that simply BEGS to be played with and used.
Third: the fact that there aren't any human characters. The problem with Mario or Zelda, for me, is that there simply is no person who walks the earth that would look enough like those characters to satisfy me. Cosplayers have been trying for ages, why should we expect Hollywood to pull it off?

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Nope, don't want to see movies of any of those games because they will most likely fail. Plus they already made a Super Mario movie and look how that turned out.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
MovieBob said:
Don Frye is a dead ringer for Mike Haggar
I had to google it... OH MY GOD

OK, the one movie I want to see made, and I'm sure I'm not nearly the first to mention this:
HALF-LIFE.
OK OK OK HEAR ME OUT: First game, split the screen-time near-evenly between a party of unarmed scientists struggling to escape and make sense of the situation, a party of meagerly armed Barneys trying to secure the facility (the Blue Shift story-line), a party of disconnected rogue soldiers also trying to escape (the Op Force story line), and Gordan Freeman venturing in solitude to correct the infinite cascade of consequences resulting from his experiment. If you criss-cross these story lines so that the different parties interact with each other at crucial plot points, the results could be an excellent combination of character development and plotting that wouldn't wreck the integrity of the source material. Also, Gordan Freeman could convincingly be portrayed as the strong silent type without forcing the audience to sit through an entire 90-150 minutes of utter silence from the protagonist.

EG: When Gordan escapes from the trash compactor, he needs to restore mainline power to the processing plant in order to escape from the facility altogether. When he restores this power, a crucial door is enabled to let the scientists and guards flee from the adjoining facility - only to run straight into Shepard and his men, resulting in an armed stand-off between the guards and marines, making for great tension. Kind of a shitty set up, but I came up with that easier than flipping a coin. A whole movie based on the first installments of the Half-Life franchise could be cooked up like that, and if someone put real effort into it I think it could make not just a passable movie but a great one.

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
A "The legend of Zelda" movie wouldn't be any good.
Games to movie adaptions aren't any good if it alienates the gamer too much.
And in this case it would have to change a huge load of things. Sowolf said it already on page 2.
Btw. Postal, by Boll, was a perfect example of a good movie adaption of the game.

Oh and I'm dissappointed that I have to point out that there is already a Zelda movie. Well, fanmade movie, but still a movie adaption.
Please tell me how it is, because I really, really don't want to see this and the only time I wanted, I was so piss drunk I wasn't able to do this without falling in an alcohol induced coma.

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/12/omg_fanmade_feature_length_zel.php

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I didn't even play Final Fight, but a movie of it would be awesome. 'Mayor defeats crime... WITH ITS OWN HANDS.' It's a story that tells itself (with punches).

Also, Earthbound would fill my need for modern fantasy weird crap. There just isn't enough modern fantasy weird crap nowadays, basically just some animes and Gaiman.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
A lot of those ideas I would pay NOT to see. If they go for that angle there could be a lot of money in it... But anyway, live and let live, if it would make someone happy go ahead.

ashplosh

Dec 21, 2009
I don't read every comment before this so i might say things you already talked about. I agree with bob i am not much of a film snob i even think the star wars prequels are better than the originals but his choices are good i would love earthbound as movie the most out of all games to make movies although it would be long and spam several movies but it would be worth it to see the final battle in live action horrifying with a girl praying at all times. but 3 of his choices i thought where bad ideas.

Kingdom Hearts.
I think it would be to long but the main thing is that they would have to change the end because they would not want to make KH2. I mean think about it would that movie be good it's dumbed down and if you want know why this is a bad idea 2 words the little mermaid.

Castlevania
I believe that they should not make the movie about what the most popular game is like bob wanted it about the first or super 4 but i think it should be about 3 Dracula's curse. Cause it's simple but not to simple if the whole game had just Simon then they would fuck something up to make more material for a film. But 3 has four main characters and is a long good game with Dracula death and Medusa as movie bob said non gamers would know who they are and it could be successful, faithful, and well done if the pick this game as compared the rest of the series.

SMB
You knew this was coming but in terms of fucked up platformers this is a bad choice i think Kirby or Spyro would even do better if i where to say a platfomer to make a movie i would go with sonic adventure 2. Every one can talk for one thing a good character selection all with different personality's a good pending end of days film it is probably a bad idea to make movies based off animals but they still make ninja turtles.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
I don´t get it...you don´t want a Halo action movie because of it´s bland, macho-y protagonist, but you want a Gears of War action movie. A game with more bland, macho-y protagonists that Halo ever produced...Gears of War practicly sold solely on the GORE...Halo at least let the gore on a normal level, bloodsplater, falling junks of Armor.
A Gears of War movie would be AO or M at least for all the chainsawing Locusts in half and head asploding action...and the buckets of blood.

You want Beat´em´up movies, yet most have already been made and SUCKED ASS...
Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter and Double Dragon have been made into movies and SUCKED...

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
Ralvuimego said:
Gears of War has a speaking main character with a face (Even if it did look like the ugliest side of a fist). That's huge when translating a game into a movie. Silent protagonists don't work very well as main characters. Attempting a Halo movie without Master Chief is pretty much just going to come across as a bad Starship Troopers.
Since when is Master Chief silent?
Sure he doesn´t talk much during the action, but he does in the cut scenes, you know, like in MOSTLY ALL GAMES...
He´s mostly in dialog with Cortana and 343 Guilty Spark.
He also got a very graveling, manlyman voice in Halo 3 all of a sudden compared to his relatively normal, almost "pussy" voice in the german version of the games...
Sure he doesn´t talk MUCH but he´s not a "silent" protagonist like say, Gordon Freeman.

Also the no face thing makes finding an actor extremely easy. Just find a huge guy best with a gravely man voice and put him in a suit that roughly makes him two and a half meters tall...Done.

Foxholeshadow

Sep 7, 2009
Namewithheld said:
As for games that must be filmed, I'm gonna say Homeworld needs to be filmed. It's got the same basic story as Battlestar Galactica, but it subtracts all the really stupid shit and replaced it with more awesome. Also, the Khusan are far more interesting than the Colonials: I mean, they're not just "Americans in space but they're polytheistic, so that makes them COMPLETELY DIFFERENT."

Also, it has a unique design atheistic and captures just how beautiful space is, with the Khusan fleet starting at the edge of the galaxy, which gets brighter and brighter as they head inwards towards the Core, through nebulas and glowing gas fields. Yes, a space setting that's just not a ton of little white dots on a black background.

Add to that plenty of characters you can create - fighter pilots, capital ship captains, whatever - and really really awesome music and BAM!

Awesome movie. Or TV show. Yeah, it could make an awesome TV show too.
I second that notion, homeworld was one of the few games which i actually finished, the campaign was just very good,and there can never be enough scifi movies/shows

in that respect i'd also add supreme commander, though the story'd need to be fleshed out a bit, the campaign is not what that franchise is famous for, but big mech-like commanders and amongst a mix of units of all kinds of sizes is gonna make for some sweet action sequences

Edit: i'd rather play homeworld 3 than watch the movie though

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Anyone else think the Soul Calibur series is workable as a trilogy?

First: Soul Edge
Second: Soul Calibur
Third: Soul Embrace (Soul Calibur 2-4 consensed into one)

Bruden

Oct 26, 2009
No, no no, NO, NO! Do NOT under any circumstances EVER think another Mario movie is doable. The games are mildly fun, but they have no plot, princess captured and you've got to jump on things to get her back. That is NOT film-able under any circumstances and you freaking know it. Your own nostalgia is the only thing that made you put Mario on this list and not the "DO NOT FILM" list.

Any Mario movies ever made will be one of two things, either A. a straight up terrible unwatchable idiot fest. or B. a movie that claims to be Mario Brothers but aside from names has little if anything to do with the games.

Also in last week you complained about the character-less cardboard cutouts in modern games saying they'd be boring to watch in a movie, yet turn around and claim Mario is a worthwhile movie property. I'm officially playing the hypocrite card.