Please, give us anything but Russia

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
In cod2 you played the Brits, Americans, and Russians. The Russian campaign was to my mind the best one in the game, fighting of Nazis in Stalingrad, hearing "Fascist! Communist!" being shouted between the two sides. Plus, the Russians had the best machine gun. Fun times. I miss COD2

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Because Russia a super power, that's why that, and China and Korea or "Terrorists" are the bad guys. Most of the developers are American, so USA must be the good guys, and America has always had ties to Western Europe, so it's unlikely they would be the bad guys either, leaving only the obvious.

And to be fair Russia isn't technically the bad guys in MW, they are being manipulated by what Makarov did at Moscow International

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
ziggydk said:
as a dane i would love to shoot at swedens. not that i hate swedens it's just a nordic principle
One day you will tremble as we regain our Baltic empire....... :p

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Jeez. You know, guys, Russians don't care that much and those who do are plain wrong.

Russia is just a convenient force to have for the enemy thing. We lost the Cold War, we can take some ideological abuse.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
My guess is that they want to make the "bad guys" nations that the US has had a history of conflict with.

I know the US never actually fought Russia but they were the designated boogeymen of the west for the better part of a century.

Choosing a past enemy makes the games more realistic.

I mean, if they decided to make Iceland, or Kenya, the enemy nation, would anyone believe that?

ALYKZANDYR

May 9, 2011
alrekr said:
ALYKZANDYR said:
How about this, a game called "World War 3" running on the frostbite 2 engine, that features a lengthy campaign ( 80+hrs) where America is allied with Britain, and the rest of western Europe, and Australia. and the opposing force is led by china and allied with every other country.

Russia has no money so they get occupied by china. Russia allies with America + west Europe but provides almost no military support because they cannot afford to have a army. battles are fought on land sea and air, in Russia, Britain china, south America, west Europe, Antarctica, Canada the USA, middle east, Vietnam, tiwan, north and south korea, basically you'll do a tour of the world fighting the Chinese and their allies, while playing characters of many different nationalities.

no nazi's, Russia only serves as land to fight over. someone make this game.
Or not that plot seems nearly as convoluted and common place as vanilla CODMW.

How about we have I don't know: USA as the villians? or how about a good old British villian, I mean we make the best evil archfiends. Also Russia as poor? They HAVE ALL THE GAS and plenty of oil; they own most of our football clubs for zeus' sake.

The plot of homefront is more realistic (as north korea has one of the largest armies in the world)
I kkow they have gas but in this game they dont have gas they are on the verge of collapse again. This game would be nothing like CoD. you would engage in constant fighting for around an half hour or more at a time, NOT fighting for 1 minute and than having a cutscene, like is say, CoD. The plot is supposed to be highly unlikely, things like playing a french man fighting with germans in Antarctica fighting against the Peruvians. Unlikely, yes, fun and intresting, a break the ordinary yes. how about playing as a an aussie fighting the Indian army around Ayers rock?

This game would be break from the common fps mold. fighting enemies you have never fought before in places fps's have never been. What you described sounds predictable and more like vanllia CoD than what i have in mind.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Bobic said:
alrekr said:
Yes but you have forgoten who the target audience are... Americans; mostly stupid ones at that

A Red Dawn remake comes out next year for Odins sake, this sort of proof USA mass rapage of foriengers who have attacked them sell well over there. They want every possible chance to seem as underdogs.

And did you notice who makes the COD games; has there every been a COD (except finest hour) which had a balanced and fair story?

The COD franchise doesn't ever do anything new too be honest, so why would they start with their worst point: plot
I'd say Modern Warfare 1 had a balanced and fair story, sure there were evil Russians but there were good Russians too. And it wasn't the actual Russian government organizing all the big evil plot stuff at the end just a rogue faction or something (it's been a while since I played it)

Also, could you really say that the early COD's were unfair and unbalanced? There wasn't much of an overarching story there at all. It was just, these Germans are the enemy, wanna know why? Go pick up a history book and find out. Nothing unfair about that.
They were unbalanced as they glossed over any country other than USA being involved in the war. Most WW2 games forget that the british won in North Africa and that the Russians did most the work in Europe. The Germans couldn't advance past France as we won the battle of britain.

*EDIT* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
why hasn't he got a game? he ran round with a sword killing nazis who had guns?

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
BECAUSE by making you play monotonous video games about an evil global takeover from Russia until you become bored of it and rule Russia out as an adversary....THE SOVIET UNION CAN RISE AGAIN and take everyone by surprise!

Hawkmoon269

Apr 14, 2011
They're an easily identifiable and easily demon-ised enemy, what with their tenancy to side with/become the bad guys in the last few major conflicts. That makes it easier for us, the players, to feel okay about gunning them down for hours on end. Harsh, but true, and thats why they're made into the enemies so often.

Plus, y'know, they're white. If the enemies in a game were of a different ethnicity (and the game wasn't based on a real historical war) then you just know there'd be cries of racism flying all over the damn place.

ChicagoTed

Aug 5, 2010
As an englishman i'd like to see Britain as the bad guys for a change in some form of neo empire building scenario.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
alrekr said:
Bobic said:
alrekr said:
Yes but you have forgoten who the target audience are... Americans; mostly stupid ones at that

A Red Dawn remake comes out next year for Odins sake, this sort of proof USA mass rapage of foriengers who have attacked them sell well over there. They want every possible chance to seem as underdogs.

And did you notice who makes the COD games; has there every been a COD (except finest hour) which had a balanced and fair story?

The COD franchise doesn't ever do anything new too be honest, so why would they start with their worst point: plot
I'd say Modern Warfare 1 had a balanced and fair story, sure there were evil Russians but there were good Russians too. And it wasn't the actual Russian government organizing all the big evil plot stuff at the end just a rogue faction or something (it's been a while since I played it)

Also, could you really say that the early COD's were unfair and unbalanced? There wasn't much of an overarching story there at all. It was just, these Germans are the enemy, wanna know why? Go pick up a history book and find out. Nothing unfair about that.
They were unbalanced as they glossed over any country other than USA being involved in the war. Most WW2 games forget that the british won in North Africa and that the Russians did most the work in Europe. The Germans couldn't advance past France as we won the battle of britain.

*EDIT* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
why hasn't he got a game? he ran round with a sword killing nazis who had guns?
Ok the only one of the early COD's I played was the first and it was equally split into 3 campaigns: an American, a Russian and a British one. You should really know about the stuff you're complaining about.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Because people everywhere, not just in America, love the familiar. We love recognizing faces and voices, we love recognizing a revisited plot point, we love recognizing the classic story that this new story is diverging from, and we love it when we can look at something and see a pattern. When pop culture and entertainment started being incredibly easy to distribute, the cold war was fresh on our minds. Russia as bad guys became downright Iconic. From there, when an IP came out, and they wanted people to identify with it instantly, they just invoked the old cold war mentality. This would have ended the moment we came across a real life bad guy who we could want desperately to blow up from an unambiguously morally correct standpoint. But none came. The world was all morally grey, or filled with bad guys who couldn't be morally defeated by just attacking in force. We know that Russia are our allies, but invoking the cold war was convenient.

Feb 19, 2010
HankMan said:
Fiks1 said:
Let's try making USA the enemy in a big title, see what happens.
Or maybe America vs....
AMERICA
the 2nd american civil war? that could happen & can be interesting.
I'm Russian Ukrainia meself, and i'm sick of killing them. the translations & they way they speak is impersonated POORlY, and they are all portrayed as maniacs who love to burn people & puppies alive, and are pretty much robots.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
For once I would like to the Eskimos start the war. You know they're plotting something. They're just too quiet all the time.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Well to be fair I guess the extent of who the baddies in MW3 isnt entirely clear to me besides that Russians are obviously still invading America. But there has to be more then that, there's no way any country could successfully fight on two fronts, one of them being across the Atlantic Ocean on the American East Coast. But then also simultaneously able to invade 3 other countries and gain ground in them? No way. Besides, if it actually is WW3 as the trailer implies, I would expect they would try to make some kind of Axix/Allies thing going on again.