Please help an old and starving gamer

DarthCoercis

New member
May 28, 2016
250
0
0
The Quest For Glory series, Betrayal at Krondor, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (just make sure you get the latest version of the unofficial patch), Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, any of the Might & Magic series, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Sacred, Divine Divinity... I can list plenty more.
 

noramiles458

New member
Jan 25, 2018
4
0
0
Do you have a paypal account ? in the event if you do you can make an additional 300 a week in your revenue working from home for 3 hours every day... go to

........... ► http://www.Help80.Com
 

jklinders

New member
Sep 21, 2010
945
0
0
You have some FPS and a couple of survival games in your list.


Give The Long Dark a Shot. One of the few survival sim type games that doesn't give into the zombie schtick. My game consumption has slowed down due to technical and financial reasons. I might be able to add more ideas later.
 

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
13,812
4,708
118
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gender
✅
1L19 said:
Asita said:
Given that you've got Don't Starve on there, you might consider Subnautica (technically still early access, but due for official release in a few days now). Long story short, you had to evacuate your ship over an alien world...a world that is almost entirely ocean. Your escape pod was damaged, but it still has a working fabricator which - given that you can find the right materials - can construct a repair tool, scanner, knife, other tools, and can cook the local fauna for you. Your first priority is to survive. Your second is to figure out what happened and escape the planet.
That sounds great! My problem with Don't Starve is that you get to a point where you're like "ok what now" and I just lose interest. I've played to the point of having a base with a bajillion rabbit traps, good gear and weapons so can survive but after that it's just world challenges etc. The one you describe seems to have a bit more meat on it's bones and that would be great.

Thank you Asita!
I know that I'm a little late to this comment (and that you've since said that you picked the game up), but trust me- in Subnautica, once you've left the starting shallows, feelings of being "safe" are few and far between. And you do have to head out into the more dangerous areas to progress.
 

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
4,403
1,148
118
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
1L19 said:
Yep you are right I forgot that vegan and vegetarian are part of foodless but it will only show the strictest. Meaning if you do vegan you won't see the vegetarian or foodless conduct at the end. Same thing for wishing and artifact wishing so you won't see artifact wishing if you don't wish at all.

That's a pretty nice ascension you've got that. I've not come close to anything like that. I was more into polishing my ascensions and I've gotten pretty good at it playing a wizard. This is one of my best moments getting through 8 Archons on the Plane of Fire:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/3srfm7/cutting_through_an_eight_archon_posse_on_the/

The unofficial conduct that I think impresses me the most is the Zen conduct. In 3.6 you can set yourself as blind but in 3.4.3 you had to scum for a blindfold and wear it for the entire game:

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Zen

I don't think I could manage having to move that slowly as normally I play really fast.
Oh man, so many Archons! Where did they all come from? I haven't seen nearly that many since the first time I made it to the plane of air and had no idea what to do and spent like 20 minutes fighting an endless horde of monsters that covered half the screen.

Zen would be horrendous to play! That would be waaay to slow. Not to mention having a pet would be pretty much impossible, I think.

All this Nethack talk, I think I'm gonna have to fire it up and start playing again!
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
Isaac Heathwood thank you for the informative and detailed post. Of the ones you posted I am definitely interested in Doom 2016 as a straight shooter always has appeal. Bunker Punks reminds me of those first generation shooters I played to death. Ziggurat looks like a blast and that one went straight on my wishlist. Overwatch and Dirty Bomb look interesting but I'm not doing any multiplayer now so I've put them on the shelf for now. Your comments about Prey have been noted although hard mode is usually something I avoid.

Thank you again for your well thought out post and I look forward to trying some of these titles.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
DarthCoercis said:
The Quest For Glory series, Betrayal at Krondor, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (just make sure you get the latest version of the unofficial patch), Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, any of the Might & Magic series, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Sacred, Divine Divinity... I can list plenty more.
DarthCoercis thank you for your suggestions. Quest for Glory looks interesting and the entire 1-5 bundles on Steam is only 10 bucks. Probaby going to pick that up. Betrayal at Krondor? Damn dude that's going way back. I played it but it's been so long I don't remember a thing. Might have a look. I usually don't do horror but Vampire the Maquerade looks pretty good. Very possible I'll try that one. Ultima Underworld is another one I played and don't remember a thing about. Reading about it now. Sacred Gold also looks pretty good and I have that on my list of potentials.

Thanks again for all the recommendations. Most appreciated.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
jklinders said:
You have some FPS and a couple of survival games in your list.


Give The Long Dark a Shot. One of the few survival sim type games that doesn't give into the zombie schtick. My game consumption has slowed down due to technical and financial reasons. I might be able to add more ideas later.
Dude. The Long Dark.. I'm not even going to wishlist it I'm just going to buy it. Great recommendation. Thank you very much jklinders for the fantastic suggestion. Cheers!
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
The Rogue Wolf said:
I know that I'm a little late to this comment (and that you've since said that you picked the game up), but trust me- in Subnautica, once you've left the starting shallows, feelings of being "safe" are few and far between. And you do have to head out into the more dangerous areas to progress.
You aren't late at all. In fact my latest game status is directly related to your comment. Before I started answering posts tonight I asked for a Steam refund for Fable. I was really enjoying it and even had a wife I pulled out of an Inn. However the game crashes when trying to buy skills and none of my efforts (I'm extremely technical) could solve the issue including a full reinstall. So, my refund is pending and there is a 10% discount until Jan 30th for Subnautica which I purchased a few minutes ago and is now downloading. Your suggestion was spot on. I need to take you to Vegas with me. Thank you very much sir for your perfect suggestion.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
Drathnoxis said:
Oh man, so many Archons! Where did they all come from? I haven't seen nearly that many since the first time I made it to the plane of air and had no idea what to do and spent like 20 minutes fighting an endless horde of monsters that covered half the screen.

Zen would be horrendous to play! That would be waaay to slow. Not to mention having a pet would be pretty much impossible, I think.

All this Nethack talk, I think I'm gonna have to fire it up and start playing again!
Yea that happened to me as well so I've been messing around on my local server. I didn't really realize the mob spawns were related to your level. I used to reverse genocide wraiths and go right up to 30 for the HP and mana but then I get all those Archon spawns. Now I frolick with Foocubi to boost my mana and HPs without getting too many levels. They'll give you levels as well but the ratio is a lot better. As a wizard I get my last and very important intrinsic (Teleport Control) at 17 so I try to stop at about 18 or 19 because sooner or later you'll lose a level if you are self polymorphing like I always do so you need a bit of a buffer.

If enough folks were interested (which I doubt) I'd love to have a little friendly competition. Everyone creates a new account and we see who can ascend the fastest or pick a certain class or whatever to try head to head. Anyway I love that damn game and will never get tired of it I don't think.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
Drathnoxis said:
Oh man, so many Archons! Where did they all come from? I haven't seen nearly that many since the first time I made it to the plane of air and had no idea what to do and spent like 20 minutes fighting an endless horde of monsters that covered half the screen.

Zen would be horrendous to play! That would be waaay to slow. Not to mention having a pet would be pretty much impossible, I think.

All this Nethack talk, I think I'm gonna have to fire it up and start playing again!
One more comment on the Archons. No way I get through that without charm monster. I'd say impossible based on the situation I was in. He'd summon nasties and I'd charm them to make a buffer between me and the Archons. They were actually doing me a favor with the summons.
 

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
6,750
377
88
Gender
Male
I played Nethack once when I found it installed on a Linux machine my dad used to have. I was never any good at it; I was 13 and kinda dumb, so it didn't click with me.

I'd ask for tips, but I'm just no good at the kind of games that need thousands of hours to figure out. Still have too short an attention span. I like hearing stories, though.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
leet_x1337 said:
I played Nethack once when I found it installed on a Linux machine my dad used to have. I was never any good at it; I was 13 and kinda dumb, so it didn't click with me.

I'd ask for tips, but I'm just no good at the kind of games that need thousands of hours to figure out. Still have too short an attention span. I like hearing stories, though.
You make an excellent point and I had the same feeling when I started as I was groping in the dark by myself with no idea of what to do. I would say however, that Nethack is the only game in which I'd say spoilers are mandatory unless you want to spend 2 to 5 years figuring everything out yourself. There is a fantastic wiki out there and there is an active IRC channel where you can get instant help. Additionally, on NAO (my server) you can watch someone else play and actually send them in game hints (although just talking on IRC is easier).

The game is a lot more enjoyable when you have that kind of information at your finger tips. I was thinking, and probably will do it, of creating a "Getting Started With Nethack" thread where I show people how to get setup to play. Downloading and configuring Putty. Creating an account and loading up a custom config file. Where to get help, etc. I'd like to make it a lot easier for folks to check out the game because it's really great. Best gameplay ever... for me.

If you want any help I'd be happy to hook you up!
 

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
5,264
0
0
GalCiv2:EU is a bit of good fun.

Master of Orion (the remake/reboot/whatever) has been pretty good.

Star Wars - Empire At War - Forces of Corruption is a fairly solid 4X/RTS game.
 

jklinders

New member
Sep 21, 2010
945
0
0
1L19 said:
jklinders said:
You have some FPS and a couple of survival games in your list.


Give The Long Dark a Shot. One of the few survival sim type games that doesn't give into the zombie schtick. My game consumption has slowed down due to technical and financial reasons. I might be able to add more ideas later.
Dude. The Long Dark.. I'm not even going to wishlist it I'm just going to buy it. Great recommendation. Thank you very much jklinders for the fantastic suggestion. Cheers!
No problem. The Long Dark is one of those games that needs more exposure. I dithered for a while before snapping it up. I'm not very good at it but it had a unique feel to it that is both beautiful and utterly desolate.

You'll learn to hate wolves.
 

Cycloptomese

New member
Jun 4, 2015
313
0
0
I don't actually have any suggestions, but WOW! I had an old Tandy TRS-80 too! I think I played a bunch of those old TSR D&D RPGs on it.
 

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
4,723
0
0
1L19 said:
Anyone suggested Warframe [http://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/Warframe/] yet? I suggest Warframe [http://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/Warframe/].
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
Tanis said:
GalCiv2:EU is a bit of good fun.

Master of Orion (the remake/reboot/whatever) has been pretty good.

Star Wars - Empire At War - Forces of Corruption is a fairly solid 4X/RTS game.
RTS not really my thing although I did play Master of Orion back in the day and admittedly that game does kick ass. Thank you Tanis for taking the time to throw out a few titles. Very cool of you.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
GetWritings said:
Good luck to you
Apparently I've had some good luck GetWritings because these boys here (and maybe girls... shrug) have turned me on to mucho titles. I feel spoiled.