Please help! I can't watch any videos on this website!

Veerdin

Jan 29, 2014
I apolagise if this is the wrong place to put this question but I'm at my wits end here. For the past three weeks or so, I've been unable to watch any videos on this website. All that happens when I try to watch a video is I get this really weird advert for the Escapist (yes, an advert for the site I'm currently trying to use) featuring content creators who left the site years ago like Jim Sterling and Loading Ready Run.

And yes, before anybody suggests it: I have sent a message to the site staff about this... Twice.

Two weeks ago.

I'm yet to get a response, so I'm under the impression they either did not receive my message or did not deem in necessary to respond to (not even an automated "hey, we got your ticket!" email or anything.) so here I am, reaching out to you folks.

For some technical details, I'm running Windows 10 on a 64bit system, I use Chrome and I do have several plugins installed including Adblock, however, I have Adblock disabled for this website. None of the other plugins have ever affected the website in the past and none of them have received any significant changes that I'm aware of (and even if they had, they aren't the problem - see below.)

About three weeks ago, the site was functioning normally. However, around the release of the Zero Punctuation episode for No Man's Sky, all videos on the website seem to be failing to load entirely, instead they just play that aforementioned advert for the Escapist (or, sometimes, an advert for something else and THEN the old Escapist advert) followed by nothing. I can pause, replay and fast forward this Escapist ad to my heart's content but I can't view any other videos, no matter how hard I try.

Here's a list of things I've already tried that have thus far failed to work:

- Clearing my cache.
- Disabling all plugins on my Chrome browser.
- Using a different browser.
- Using a different device (I've tried my iPad and my phone, same problem on both.)
- Visiting the site on a different network.
- Visiting the site through a proxy. (This just resulted in videos failing to load entirely.)
- Watching videos through an embedded link.
- Watching videos through direct raw links.

And of course...

- Contacting official site support. (Again, no response whatsoever despite me sending two separate messages over two weeks.)

So I'm at my wits end, it's almost as though the site has somehow disabled video streaming to my location (Western Australia, for reference) and just not told anybody about it.

Can somebody please help?

Veerdin

Jan 29, 2014
It's been almost a month, and I still can't watch videos.

For the love of god please somebody help me out here.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Veerdin said:
It's been almost a month, and I still can't watch videos.

For the love of god please somebody help me out here.
Unfortunately, there isn't a Tech Team any more (and apparently no site support), but have you investigated everything mentioned on this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/help] page (particularly step 3)?

Sorry I can't think of anything else to help, but if all that fails then I would just reinstall your browser and see if that changes anything. If not, you can shoot a message via twitter to [user]Encaen[/user] and he should be able to at least forward it to the appropriate member of staff.