Please help me choose some games

wolfshrimp

May 6, 2009
Hi,

So I'm going through a bit of a dry patch when it comes to games, I'm going back over older titles I've played before and want something new and interesting.

I play on a strange laptop that will run Crysis and FarCry 2 (although FarCry 2 had detail scaled back and then some) but gets very annoyed when asked to play something like Legendary and has a tendency to suffer framerate drops briefly but I can sort that out.

So what do I want? Well I like strategy and FPS mainly...ok I make example list

Have played:
CoD 2 and CoD 4
Quake 4
FEAR and 1st expansion
FarCry and FarCry 2
Crysis and Warhead
R6 Vegas 1&2
ManHunt
DoW series (saving for DoW2)
World In Conflict
All C&C games
SWAT 4
Freelancer
Brothers in Arms
GRAW series

I think that gives you an idea of the kind of thing I like- ultraviolence is good but I am not averse to planning and tactics when done in a compelling and easy to use manner. I'm not too fond of RPGs seeing as Morrowind was my first RPG and nothing has been as fun since. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy because I lack the time to invest in becoming really good at online play.
So yeah, hit me with your suggestions in order to save my brain from boredom

daviejjd

Apr 1, 2009
It's not really violent, but Civilization 4; beyond the sword is really great, can be dangerously addictive.

Or Half life 2, honestly one of the best games I've ever played

Zyconis

Apr 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Plants vs. Zombies. Not an FPS, I grant you, but stupid amounts of fun.
Agreed.
If you've ever played a tower defense flash game, and gotten any enjoyment out of it, you'll love this game.
That, and it's only $10!

Stegofreak

Aug 6, 2008
If you can find Space Tripper I seriously advise you to pick it up. Absolutely awesome arcade style shooter.

Librarian Mike

May 16, 2008
I would strongly recommend Deus Ex. It is tons of fun, and the best part is you can play it any way you want (ie: stealth, full assault, hacker). Give it a try.

Jun 11, 2008
Just go around and look for something random it might not be great but still good to experiment with different games and maybe give rpgs another go but if your afriad on burning a whole in your pocket by the games pre owned or off websites where they have a good selection of cheap games from a few years ago. I seen The Darkness for less than 20 euro on a website.
You'd be surprised what you can find in the pre owned sections like I got both Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry 4 for less than 20 euro each a few weeks.
I know they are more console games but you can get Assassin's Creed for PC just using those as examples.

It's a good way to go for getting a game your not bother about getting on release day or are really looking for.

Suggestions would be:
Universe At War(waring very buggy)
Company Of Heroes
Age Of Mythology(I know it's ancient but still good)
LotR BfME 1 or 2 or 2+expansion(must be worlds longest title)

I would have said Guild Wars as well but you said you don't like multiplayer games and rpgs so ye.
On the off chance you do get it the game is not subscription based you just buy the disc and away you go although you can't buy Eye Of The North as that is a proper expansion not like the others which are like compliments to each other but all stand alone titles.

Major_Sam

Aug 27, 2008
No One Lives Foever 1 and 2. A swinging FPS as you play as 60's spy Kate Archer trying to save the world the old fashion way.

Age of Mythology is probably my favourite strategy as well as Pharoh and Caesar 3.

AnimaWish

May 27, 2009
Call of Duty 4, definitely. The game Prey is pretty interesting, but it required me to upgrade my computer to play, so I don't know if you'll be able to.

If you're at all into RTS's, you've probably played them, but Starcraft and Warcraft III would be on my list of favorite video games. Another RTS is the Homeworld series, which is excellent.

Uhmm... Medal of honor games are decent, at least the ones I've played. The Alien vs. Predator games are decent FPS's.

There are a lot of decent freeware/shareware things out there to look over, also. Can't really name any of them, 'cuz people prefer to develop things for Windows than for Macs. :p