Please lock

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Wow, Fire Emblem, why you gotta make shit weird?

I kinda hope this doesn't come in the version over here, but even if it does, it's a feature I would never use. (Because seriously why).

I'm gonna get the new game, and I hope it's good, but I'm not holding my breath so far.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Phasmal said:

I kinda hope this doesn't come in the version over here, but even if it does, it's a feature I would never use. (Because seriously why).

I'm gonna get the new game, and I hope it's good, but I'm not holding my breath so far.
I have no doubt they'll cut this shit out of the western version. I'm more upset that the developers thought this was an appropriate idea at all. Fuckin' Japanese fans ruin everything OTL

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Doom972 said:
Wow. The only FE game I ever played was the first one released in the west for the GBA, and this doesn't look anything like the FE I remember. Was there a gradual change or is this something new to this generation?
I think it started with the last game specifically. The last game was great, but the series seems to be increasing the fanservice levels to drive up sells. Of course, the last title was basically shipping: the game, so I suppose this is a natural progression...

Aerosteam said:
This won't make it overseas, at least in America. Look at a piece of artwork from the last game:

If they hid Tharja's ass behind a curtain, like hell they'll allow groping or whatever to make it to America.
Am I the only one that thinks this looks worse then the original? They make it look like she's prancing around in a thong. I ignored the fanservice beach DLC, so I suppose I wouldn't know.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
From what I understand the touching is limited to the face? So not exactly groping? I think it is meant to simulate kissing.

In any case, seems appropriate for the rating, and it seems like a natural progression for the ever increasing focus on romance in the series. Sex is an integral part of romance for many people, if not most. And this is a T rated game, so as the focus on the romance aspect of FE games has increased it makes sense that the games would start including some sex to go with that romance. I think it is fine for people who want a bit of pg-13 "sex" (kissing, maybe a bit of light touching) to go with their romance.

I have always thought that the typical video game approach to sexual content is very immature. It basically boils down to dressing up dolls to be sexual objects and ogling them. To me this seems like a step in the right direction - sex depicted as part of a relationship between two people. Sex depicted as actual sex.

Basically, I am confused by gamers being so weirded out and reacting with such disgust to what amounts to an interactive makeout session. The gaming culture relationship to sex is seriously messed up.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Actually, that is false. You cannot grope anyone. The My Room feature allows you to touch faces in that weird Japanese skinship thing. That is uncomfortable but even if you S-Rank, you cannot grope or sexually molest the characters. You can massage their shoulders. That's as how low they will go. Of course, given the eagerness of every company in existence to jump to conclusions, we have threads like this. No you cannot grope anyone. But I highly doubt anyone who made the screams here will come back and read this.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Phasmal said:

Don't worry, its not in the Japanese version. This is false. I will continue to scream this to the high heavens because clearly no article will go back on this lie. I own the game. Asides from an extremely untasteful introduction to a certain character, people have been overexaggerating a lot of the sexualized content in the game.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
xaszatm said:
Phasmal said:

Don't worry, its not in the Japanese version. This is false. I will continue to scream this to the high heavens because clearly no article will go back on this lie. I own the game. Asides from an extremely untasteful introduction to a certain character, people have been overexaggerating a lot of the sexualized content in the game.
Ah, well that's fair enough then. I suppose the article is rather misleading, should have checked better.
Thanks for letting me know. :)

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
On the one hand, this is ridiculous pandering bullshit. On the other hand, if they release MAN-Ike as DLC and I can use this feature on him, then all my dreams will have come true. Needless to say, I am deeply conflicted.

But seriously, this is getting a bit out of hand IS. Tone down the sillyness just a bit. Not too much, that's what makes you so charming, but please don't let this get out of hand. That's what the Persona crossover is for.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
DrOswald said:
Basically, I am confused by gamers being so weirded out and reacting with such disgust to what amounts to an interactive makeout session. The gaming culture relationship to sex is seriously messed up.
It's a U.S. centric site here, and we're notoriously sexually deviant prudes.

What I mean is just that everyone's got their kinks, but nobody likes talking about them and like to look down on anyone that says the enjoy sex more than others. Gaming culture just appears to largely be a more concentrated version of that, with a healthy dollop of virgins and people who still aren't accustomed to sex added onto all the rest.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Phasmal said:
Ah, well that's fair enough then. I suppose the article is rather misleading, should have checked better.
I will say that there still are some untasteful stuff there. I'll divide the stuff into direct sexualization and clothing options.

Around Chapter 2, we are introduced to Carmilla and the game decides to take a good 10 seconds to focus on her cleavage and her panties. In fact, most of the sexualized nature comes from her. The other sexualized thing is the when you go to that face-rubbing thing when you S-rank (i.e. marriage), you can start rubbing the shoulders. While you can technically "touch" the chest area, it doesn't bring about a reaction and the camera tried to stay at the face level so you'd have to fight the camera to do it to begin with. Also when you have a S-rank, the character will say a sexually charged line (though ironically, it seems the male characters are more lewd than the females here). This is really all there has to do about sex. The most sexually charged line, which was cut from the final game but still in the files is in the spoilers and spoken by Joker.

Despite being your butler out there, here I want to make a mess out of you!

The costumes, on the other hand, can get quite fanservice intense. In addition to Carmilla, the characters Charlotte, Rinka, and Orochi are very skimpy. In addition, one of the clothing options you can buy for your characters replaces any armor your character is wearing into either a speedo or a bikini. Also, you can decide if people in the bath house will wear either swim wear or a towel for any bath house scene you wish to do.

But the biggest thing I should mention is that, asides from said 10 seconds "LOOK AT HER NAUGHTY BITS" cutscene near the beginning, all of this stuff is optional and in no way is necessary to use in the game. You don't need to do any of those things in this game. They give minor bonuses to characters but unless you're really really bad at this game, there is no need for them.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
Actually, that is false. You cannot grope anyone. The My Room feature allows you to touch faces in that weird Japanese skinship thing. That is uncomfortable but even if you S-Rank, you cannot grope or sexually molest the characters. You can massage their shoulders. That's as how low they will go. Of course, given the eagerness of every company in existence to jump to conclusions, we have threads like this. No you cannot grope anyone. But I highly doubt anyone who made the screams here will come back and read this.
And people wonder why a lot of countries think of Americans as a bunch of prudish drama queens. The second anything even remotely related to sex comes up people freak the hell out.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
xaszatm said:
Phasmal said:
I will say that there still are some untasteful stuff there. I'll divide the stuff into direct sexualization and clothing options.

Around Chapter 2, we are introduced to Carmilla and the game decides to take a good 10 seconds to focus on her cleavage and her panties. In fact, most of the sexualized nature comes from her. The other sexualized thing is the when you go to that face-rubbing thing when you S-rank (i.e. marriage), you can start rubbing the shoulders. While you can technically "touch" the chest area, it doesn't bring about a reaction and the camera tried to stay at the face level so you'd have to fight the camera to do it to begin with. Also when you have a S-rank, the character will say a sexually charged line (though ironically, it seems the male characters are more lewd than the females here). This is really all there has to do about sex. The most sexually charged line, which was cut from the final game but still in the files is in the spoilers and spoken by Joker.

Despite being your butler out there, here I want to make a mess out of you!

The costumes, on the other hand, can get quite fanservice intense. In addition to Carmilla, the characters Charlotte, Rinka, and Orochi are very skimpy. In addition, one of the clothing options you can buy for your characters replaces any armor your character is wearing into either a speedo or a bikini. Also, you can decide if people in the bath house will wear either swim wear or a towel for any bath house scene you wish to do.

But the biggest thing I should mention is that, asides from said 10 seconds "LOOK AT HER NAUGHTY BITS" cutscene near the beginning, all of this stuff is optional and in no way is necessary to use in the game. You don't need to do any of those things in this game. They give minor bonuses to characters but unless you're really really bad at this game, there is no need for them.
Thanks for these updates, it's good to hear it's not as crazy as some would have us believe.

For those of you shouting "prude" at dissenters, keep in mind that many of us have no problem with sexy times in games. Groping the naughty bits of paper dolls to elicit lewd commentary just feels incredibly out of place in an FE game. If they want to up the sexual content, they could at least be mature and tactful about it. This kind of pandering is just tacky and lame, imo. Thankfully it seems to not be nearly as dumb as was reported.

GalanDun

Jun 27, 2013
Tilly said:
Doom972 said:
The PS1-era graphics don't make the characters very enticing.
Haha I love how when people see relatively bad graphics they compare it to PS1 era.

This is PS1 (yes, this single picture represents the entire console):
Not really.
This, however?

This is.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Redryhno said:
DrOswald said:

What I mean is just that everyone's got their kinks, but nobody likes talking about them and like to look down on anyone that says the enjoy sex more than others. Gaming culture just appears to largely be a more concentrated version of that, with a healthy dollop of virgins and people who still aren't accustomed to sex added onto all the rest.
Yeah, I get that, but it is just a make out session in a bikini at the absolute worst. Why are people so disgusted by it? Because that was the reaction, not "this is lame", it is "this is disgusting".

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Fappy said:
Thanks for these updates, it's good to hear it's not as crazy as some would have us believe.

For those of you shouting "prude" at dissenters, keep in mind that many of us have no problem with sexy times in games. Groping the naughty bits of paper dolls to elicit lewd commentary just feels incredibly out of place in an FE game. If they want to up the sexual content, they could at least be mature and tactful about it. This kind of pandering is just tacky and lame, imo. Thankfully it seems to not be nearly as dumb as was reported.
Right...because a series that has all manner of immature things in it will be put in the dumps by an optional potential grope mechanism...People do remember some of the stuff in Path of Radiance right?

Phlap said:
Please don't make this mandantory for min/maxing your units...
Dammit...you just made me want that to be a core game mechanic now...ONLY YOU, WITH THE MAGICAL GENITALS OF FATE CAN CREATE WARRIORS OUT OF PEASANTS.

DrOswald said:
Redryhno said:
DrOswald said:

Yeah, I get that, but it is just a make out session in a bikini at the absolute worst. Why are people so disgusted by it? Because that was the reaction, not "this is lame", it is "this is disgusting".
It's Japan, and everyone assumes Japan is full of nothing but the Otaku fanbase obviously. Can't really give you an answer though, considering I love the fanservice crap for a variety of reasons, mostly because I think it's hilarious.

Edit: But I think it's doubly hilarious considering I'm seeing alot of people in here praising and being "in love" with Liara from ME1, who's technically a teenager, and not even an adult by her race's standards coming in here and complaining about this.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Redryhno said:
Fappy said:

Right...because a series that has all manner of immature things in it will be put in the dumps by an optional potential grope mechanism...People do remember some of the stuff in Path of Radiance right?
PATH OF RADIANCE WAS A FLAWLESS GEM OF A GAME. THOSE TERRIBLE FOOD AND RIVALRY JOKES WERE ALL JUST IN YOUR IMAGINATION. MAKALOV WAS JUST A BUG, I SWEAR.
*caresses Ike body pillow*

Seriously though, Awakening is pretty damn ridiculous comparatively, there really isn't much of an argument, and this is coming from a fan of ridiculousness.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
DrOswald said:
Redryhno said:
DrOswald said:

I cannot speak for others, but my reaction to what was originally described was not "this is lame" or "this is disgusting", but rather "this is just kinda sad".

Something like one of those creepy looking realdoll things but in digital form.