Please recommend a medieval RTS that is fairly new and good.

lightingbird

Dec 4, 2008
Ok not that new but just good. :)

I recently looked into the new game Citadels. Ha the game is horrible. So glad I looked around and didn't buy it. Anyway, it got me in the mood to hunt for a good medieval RTS game. Do they make them anymore? I don't care for any of the total war games. I've tried literally all of them and just don't like them. I like the idea of the stronghold games but they are all so old and dated. Surely there must be some other recent game that I missed.

So with that said, are there any other Medieval RTS games that are good, not all that old, and have good graphics? I'm thinking this is a lost cause for the moment but figured I'd ask.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Well, there's Crusader Kings 2, but that's not exactly army management strategy, it's more of a "grand strategy" type, that puts a lot of emphasis on politics and actually all actions of ruling your kingdoms, from relations with the Pope, to relations with your vassals and lieges, and other lords, to plots, ambition and intrigue...

Pretty deep, I do quite like it but it takes some getting used to because the tutorials aver very bare-bones to put it mildly.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
The obvious suggestion would be Medieval II: Total War
While not actually having played it myself, I have played Rome (excellent game) and seen many videos of Medieval II and it looks pretty good.

Although its technically real time tactics, with a turn based (think Civ) world map. There is plenty of action, and armies are huge and a lot of fun to command.

EDIT

My mistake, only skim read the OP and missed the part about Total War.
Still, they're fun games.

My other suggestion would have to be Age of Empires 2. Even though it's an older game, I've had a lot of fun playing it.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Yeah, Crusader Kings 2.

Except if what you didn't like about Total War is the map+menu based empire management, because there is a lot of that here, but with more dynastic hijinks, and incest and intrigue.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Id just like to point out that Crusader Kings 2 is currently 75% off on Steam. This also extends to its rather long list of DLC's.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
saintdane05 said:
Guys, you're all missing the thing: Warcraft 3.
<youtube=A20Dcw9Izyo>
YEAH@!
Sorry, he was specifically asking for a GOOD medieval RTS. Not an overrated cartoon fantasy warhammer rip-off.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Aramis Night said:
saintdane05 said:
<youtube=A20Dcw9Izyo>
YEAH@!
Sorry, he was specifically asking for a GOOD medieval RTS. Not an overrated cartoon fantasy warhammer rip-off.
Excuse me, but it is NOT a Warhammer ripoff! The rest is true though.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
saintdane05 said:
Aramis Night said:
saintdane05 said:
<youtube=A20Dcw9Izyo>
YEAH@!
YES. It is: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118719-World-of-Warcraft-Could-Have-Been-World-of-Warhammer

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Medieval Total War 2, with the Kingdoms expansion, best Middle Ages Strategy game there is. Plus you get the bonus of having access to two of the best mods ever made, Third Age Total War, and Call of Warhammer.

lightingbird

Dec 4, 2008
FFHAuthor said:
Medieval Total War 2, with the Kingdoms expansion, best Middle Ages Strategy game there is. Plus you get the bonus of having access to two of the best mods ever made, Third Age Total War, and Call of Warhammer.
Didn't read my post huh? :)

Anyway, someone recommended King Arthur 2 on another forum. It looks pretty good, so I'm going to try that out.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
How exactly is Stronghold dated?

You've got a competent RTS and an interesting economy management game all in one package.

Though I've heard not to touch Stronghold 3 with a barge pole.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
lightingbird said:
FFHAuthor said:
Didn't read my post huh? :)

Anyway, someone recommended King Arthur 2 on another forum. It looks pretty good, so I'm going to try that out.
Don't.
It's good, but you said you didn't like the total war games and King Arthur 1 and 2 ARE total war games, they are just not named that way.
Besides the last time i tried my copy of KA 2, which wasn't that long ago, it still had a horrible performance. It was playable but with less than 30 fps in the battles not very enjoyable.

If you don't mind fantasy, try spellforce. You can start with 2, except for the background of the world the stories don't overlap, except for a few cameos.
The first one's awesome, too, but the graphics aren't as good (But not bad either) and it's more complex, so 2 is a little bit easier to get into.
Spellforce combines rpg and rts in a great way. It's mainly a rts. You build armies and try to destroy the enemy bases. But you also have a main character walking around as an elite unit. You have tons of sidequests, meet interesting characters, gain levels and specialize your character.
The Spellforce game also have great stories across the board.
Besides, with the exception of age of empires and warcraft 3, it's the only recommended game so far that's actually an Rts and not some mixture like Total war.

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
Well there are those Fortress games (the third being the newest) that are pretty good with a heavy emphasis on building your own fort. There is also that new Citadel thing on steam that looks like what you're looking for but its pretty new so no reviews for whether or not its good, and its $40 (American) so based on the two factors I wouldn't rush out to buy it if I were you.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Now are you specifically looking for a realistic Medieval RTS that doesn't have fantasy elements, or can it have fantasy elements? Honestly there really aren't too many that are new. RTS games had their hay day some time ago (excluding StarCraft) and back then you couldn't walk two steps without tripping over another RTS game.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Medieval II: Total War. Yes, you said you didn't like it. That's fine. Now go play it until you enjoy it, because it's pretty much the pinnacle of the medieval RTS. You may also want to try out several of its realism or total overhaul mods, just to see if those catch your fancy more.

EDIT to prevent double posts:

saintdane05 said:
Aramis Night said:
saintdane05 said:
<youtube=A20Dcw9Izyo>
YEAH@!
It's so blatantly a Warhammer Fantasy ripoff. Or at least it was. The first game is almost a direct ripoff minus all of the interesting bits of Warhammer Fantasy, but the later games try to be different and succeed. That's admirable. Unfortunately, it still isn't as interesting.

And now I'm sad there aren't any good Warhammer Fantasy games. There is Warhammer Fantasy: Total War to look forward to, though.