Pokemon: Are you loyal to your starter type?

xnickx5757

Sep 21, 2009
the water pokemon in black/white has the least weaknesses (grass/electric)
the fire/fighting pokemon has the 2nd most weaknesses (flying/ground/water/psychic)
the grass pokemon has the most weaknesses (flying/poison/bug/fire/ice)

water pokemon is resistant against 4 types (steel/fire/water/ice)
fire/fighting pokemon is resistant against 6 types (bug/steel/fire/grass/ice/dark)
grass pokemon is resistant against 4 types (ground/water/grass/electric)

water pokemon can learn 4 types of moves without tm's (normal/water/bug/fighting)
fire/fighting pokemon can learn 6 types of moves (normal/fire/fighting/poison/rock/dark)
grass pokemon can learn 3 types of moves (normal/grass/poison)

My Ranking:

Water
Fire/Fighting

Grass

my thoughts:

water pokemon is the best. teach it an ice move and its good to go vs. the grass pokemon. (and it has megahorn)

fire/fighting pokemon is a close second. I would have ranked it first if not for the weakness it gets for being a fighting pokemon.

grass is a distant third. crappy pokemon all around.-

n.s.c.m.

Dec 30, 2010
Since red and blue I've been using fire types and loved them. The monkey bothered me and I'm putting my foot down on this horrid fire pig.

Now I have to decide between the leafy looking thing or the derpy otter.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
In Red, Silver, Ruby, Diamond and SoulSilver I've stuck with the fire type and in Crystal I went with the grass type. And in all of them I've kept my starter with me pretty much the entire time (the only time I think I was w/out my starter was when I stuck them in the Day Care in order to breed 'em). What can I say? I have a loyalty to the one I started with.

I really don't like how the fire type looks in Black/White though. So if I do ever decide to get B/W, I think I might get the water starter instead.

Anthropics

Feb 1, 2011
I like to pick the fire starter, since it seems like there are far fewer fire types than grass types and far fewer fire types than water types. The first couple gyms are a struggle, but it's nice having something powerful for the end of the game.

That being said, I hate Tepig or whatever and will either pick the water one for the Unicorn looking evolution or Smugleaf.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Water, always water. My friends give me shit about it but they're all ooo fires the best, then when we battle my water pokemon dominate their fire ones.

SketchyFK

Mar 14, 2010
Depends which it was:
- Blastoise, for the bitter end.
- Feraligatr (yey!) i generally kept for looking awesome.
- Typhlosion found a permanent home for itself in my storage box. I fell in love with Houndoom
- Blaziken and Sceptile oddly have places in my heart. Could never work with Marshtomp =(
- Empoleon, good GOD he's a GIANT STEEL PINGU! What, i ask, is not to love? The others seemed... urgh! The fire monkey felt like cheating, faaaaaaaar too good. Give him a banana. Never gave me a real challenge. and the grass? =/ bleah!

- in the new games... its difficult and annoying. The grass starter has a BEAUTIFUL dreamworld ability, otherwise seems poor. The water... just... seems, why?

and... finally, why have they given us ANOTHER fire/fighting combo? I understand they're good but, PLEASE, give us something FUN!

SketchyFK

Mar 14, 2010
Ironman126 said:
Sleekgiant said:
Last Pokemon game I played(Silver) I leveled my starter all the way to 99, Feraligator took no prisoners.
Why do i get an image of a blue alligator/crocodile rending a platoon-sized army of lesser Pokemon in half?

OT: I usually leveled my starter to hell and back. My mudkip (don't remember the final evolution) was unstoppable. As was my Charizard, and that fire porcupine (cindequil?) from Gold.
And now there's a new Crocodile pokemon. I LOVE the idea that black n white have so many dual/tri battles. It just seems that Nintendo have DELIBERATELY done this JUST for these 2 pokemon.

But for the 3rd pokemon, who should it be?

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I'm definitely not loyal to any particular type. I know the game's for the most part balanced so I usually pick whichever pokemon I think looks the coolest. In the case of my Blue version I chose Charmander. Then in Silver I chose Chikorita. If I were to play the third generation it probably would be Torchic. No idea about any of the other generations after that.

I seriously lost interest in these games after Crystal version haha

rathorn14

Jan 21, 2010
I'll probably start with grass type this time around, and I usually stay loyal, there were a few times in crystal where I stashed my starter and just powerleveled a few of my other favorites, like noctowl and ghastly.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Until gen 3 I used only water. I used grass for that (because Treeko is EPIC :D). Then I used fire for gen 4 (because the others were hideous). I generally prefer water but I'm using fire this time because Snivy's name is just stupid, Oshawott's name is also stupid and he's hideous and Tepig is... well... decent....

Edit: Oh and I usually use my starter for at least the main story.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
I think all the new starters look stupid. The Grass one looks like a green banana peel, the water one looks like a snow cone, and the fire one just looks... stupid.

I've never remained loyal to one type. I do remain loyal to starters from generation to generation, though, for the most part, including:

1st - Squirtle
2nd - Cyndaquil
3rd - Treeko
4th - Turtwig, although I'm not particularly fond of any of the starters from this gen.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
I've always gone with the Water type, except in Pokemon Yellow for the obvious reason.

In fact, there hasn't been a time when my starter wasn't my strongest or highest leveled Pokemon.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
FrostyChick said:
I never abandon my starter pokemon, heck my starter pokemon is normally the only one I use.
I once did a full run of blue with only my Blastoise and a few HM slaves. >.>
That and I tend to like ice and water pokemon.
That is what I do on first playthroughs. I take on the Elite 4 with a lv. 70-80 starter. The rest are my HM slaves.
OP: Whatever looks the coolest. Usually it is fire. Nothing will ever top Blaziken for me.

Nov 18, 2009
Type doesn't matter so much as what the rest of the game does.
Kanto Games-Any Starter will do, they are all very balanced in the long run.
Johto-Again pretty well balanced, but my favorite is cyndaquil just cause.
Honen-torchic or mudkip, started my first game with a treeko and just couldn't go anywhere...
Sinoh-chimchar, until I get past the grass gym then forget him, turtwig would actually be good if not for that gym so if you can get both keep turtwig
Black/White-haven't played yet so not really sure, think I might just abandon them again like in the Sinoh region games.
Other than the Sinoh region I've always kept my starter with me.