Pokemon Black Lacks Magic

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
A new year, a new Pokemon game. This time however the stage had been set for a game that top all the others, revolutionizing the series. I knew this would not be the case, and didn't mind it at all. Pokemon has been a part of my life since I first began playing games when I was 9, so more of the same addictive monster collecting and battling formula was what i wanted. I went to my local Gamestop for the midnight release, and got caught up in all of the excitement. When the game was finally in my hands i couldn't wait to play what would probably be the best entry to the series since the 2nd generation(Gold and Silver are in my opinion the pinnacle of the series).

Weeks later and I still haven't beat the 8th gym leader, and every time i turn the game on I have no desire to play. Have i burned out, have i finally had enough? I don't think that's the case. Critics have lauded this as the greatest game the series has to offer so far, I wholeheartedly disagree. While there have been improvements made to the games mechanics and GUI, Pokemon Black and White lack the magic that made the greater games so wonderful.

One of the things I loved so much about Gold Version and particularly the 3rd generation games(ruby and sapphire) were the locations you visited along your journey. Every city felt distinct and had a charm of its own that made it memorable. A city with a giant Buddhist tower(Bellsprout Tower) or a town made of connected tree houses. Black and White's Unova region is dull, none of its towns or cities being at all memorable. The Giant city you encounter is perhaps the only memorable one, largely due to the fact that navigating through it and its strange use of 3d(which totally doesn't work for the Pokemon control scheme)is a monumental pain in the ass. The Pokemon of the Unova region are the least attractive designs in the entire series, making even the lesser of the first gen look like creative masterpieces. Much like the towns they lack personality or charm. I have still only trained up 3 pokemon since started, all the others being to dull or ugly for me to even consider them.

A major gripe I have with the latest entry is the almost complete omission of the need for HM's. While gamers have often complained about the requirement to use these moves, the adventure feels much less epic without them. Remember the first time you used dive in Ruby or Sapphire version? That was a very cool mechanic that made the quest feel much larger in scope. Being able to travel between routes without having to sacrifice a move spot on one of your Pokemon is great in concept, but the omission of water routes really hurts the game.

While I appreciate the attempt at making a solid storyline this time around, the way this tale is told is very dull and feels like a pretentious way to basically cause all of the same events to happen throughout the game. Without reading the stilted dialogue this would appear to be the same game as before.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but for all its fancy improvements it is still not the best game in the series by a long shot. Disagree? Tell me why.

Pokemon Games Ranked(worst to best)
Diamond&Pearl(gen4)
Black&White(gen5)
Red&Blue(gen1)
Ruby&Sapphire(gen3)
Gold&Silver(gen2)

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
got to agree with the anime hate, so sick of it, its just dull. I don't understand what happened, Saturday moring cartoons used to look like a goddamn disney movie. Anime has lowered the standard in modern animation. Pokemon is one of the few eastern games i truly enjoy these days as well, until this one came out that is.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
jjboat said:
Anime has lowered the standard in modern animation.
I don'T really think that is the case. I don't understand generalized anime hate at all in fact, just pick out the few gems out of the shitty ones ;)

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
it may have lost it charm being remade so many time even with the little improvements

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
lapan said:
jjboat said:
Anime has lowered the standard in modern animation.
I don't really think that is the case. I don't understand generalized anime hate at all in fact, just pick out the few gems out of the shitty ones ;)
To be fair I do love some anime shows, though not for their animation. Fullmetal Alchemist and Avatar come to mind. The problem is that the parts of anime that are used as short cuts(2 frames per second while a character talks) are what the world has taken from anime and applied to many modern cartoons. My comment above though was a way to harsh though, so thanks for calling me out on it.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
tony2077 said:
it may have lost it charm being remade so many time even with the little improvements
While that is partially true, the fact of the matter is that I think the developers have lost their passion for the series.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I agree it doesn't feel as epic as the previous entries until the first time you face the elite four, let me tell you now OP, the entire "story" up til the 8th gym is just foreshadowing, the real story starts at the elite four, trust me on this one.
Myself, I play Pokemon for the breeding and competetive side of it, so the story isn't a big deal for me. Not to mention, Pokemon Black has the best PokeGirl yet. As long as I can keep playing as Touko, I have no qualms. I mean, just look at that ponytail!

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
jjboat said:
Pokemon Black and White lack the magic that made the greater games so wonderful.
Well written peice but this quote here pretty much sums-it-up for pokemon now.
I am speaking as a loyalist to the first 150 pokemon so its easy for me to say Black and White suck.

But if I had to sound fair then I'd simply say that pokemon -has- lost its magic. It is still a good game but not what it was, as a player and collecter from Day 1 I am saddened to see so many "poke'fans" believeing that anything above the first 250 is actually better. The pokemon are getting more and more typical with ideas that have already been done and these new evolutions are an insult to the original 150, just take Lickatung's evolution.. he gets hair and a little fatter.. hardly an evolution and we also come back to the Hitmonchan / Hitmonlee idea but instead its just two guys in karate outfits of a different colour, another orignal idea beaten alive. And I'm sorry, nothing beats Team Rocket! The outfits were simple and they actually looked like bad guys!
The enviroment puzzles got a little harder and a few more types and moves are introduced in the game and we're all fooled into thinking that pokemon franchise has also 'evolved'.
See the light children!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I disagree. Personally, I feel that the newest Pokemon games still encompass the magic of the older games, and still manage to surpass it in parts, while changing that magic in others. Where is the most notable change (to me at least)? In the story, and in the characterizations of your rivals. While it just might be me being overly sentimental, the characterizations of Bianca and Cheren have evoked more emotion in me than Blue, Silver, May, Barry, or Dawn. They're more than just rivals this time around, but they actually feel like friends with a real desire to help you out, and they, too, suffer from their own problems. Hell, when they both challenged me on the way to the Elite 4, I managed to tear up during the dialogue after the battles. A similar note with the gym leaders--most of them now actually have an explicit role in their cities, rather than just sitting their waiting for trainers to come and fight them--Nacrene's leader runs the museum, Opelucid's (Black version) leader is the mayor of the city, and Mistralton's leader is the pilot responsible for shipping supplies out of the city.

I'm also going to disagree on the towns looking the same, or at least being "unmemorable." The cities do have a personality of their own, they just have a more Western influence than an Eastern one, mainly because Unova is the rough equivalent to America in the Pokemon world. Part of the fatigue you're experiencing might be due to the familiarity of the locales, rather than the cities being poorly designed. Mistralton's biggest feature is its runway, Opelucid is either very advanced or very rural depending on your version, Nacrene is comprised of nothing but old warehouses, Nimbasa has an amusement park. These are all mostly Western-flavored, but the Eastern influence (e.g., the towers) is still there, but hiding: Mistralton and Icirrus both have those towers, a later area (called the Abandoned Shrine) does have a shrine similoar to Celebi's from G/S, stuff like that. And there have always been bland cities in the games, anyway. Yes, Icirrus and Striaton is pretty bland, but so was Mahogany (G/S), Verdanturf and Lilycove (RSE), and Eterna and Pastoria (DPPt).

Personally, I don't have a problem with HM moves having little importance. To me, they've always been more of a pain to me than anything, and needing to have Strength/Cut/Flash/Rock Smash on my main team always felt restricting rather than giving the game an "epic" nature. It felt like the game was the one controlling the movesets of my Pokemon, not me, and I feel that the removal of the need to use HMs constantly has allowed me greater room to experiment with movesets by giving me much more flexibility. As for the Pokemon designs, that's nothing new. There have always been creative Pokemon each generation (e.g., Kabutops, Sneasel, Gardevoir, Lucario, Excadrill), just like their have been really stupid Pokemon each generation (e.g., Grimer, Aipom, Swalot, Combee, Garbodor), and every new generation experiences this piece of criticism (older generations were more creative, this generation is just stupid).

If you feel like the games have lost their magic, though, I'm not going to change your opinion. But a lot of us are enjoying what Black and White offer, and the reasons you don't like the game aren't true of everyone's experience with the game. Personally, I love it, and I do feel it's the best Pokemon game so far.

ten.to.ten

Mar 17, 2011
I haven't yet played B/W, unfortunately I have to import them from the US because of my partner's DSi's region coding, but it's very interesting to hear what you're all saying about it.

Before I played D/P I hadn't played a Pokemon game since G/S, and I was absolutely floored by how little the game had changed. I can definitely understand those who want some innovation, but I didn't mind the unoriginality at all, and I'm going into B/W with absolutely no hype and the expectation that it's probably going to be the same game yet again. One of my complaints of D/P was that there were just too many HMs, I can't really picture the game being less "epic" without them, I guess I'll just have to see for myself.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I actually like White. Granted I just started playing it, but they changes that they made are much appreciated. I haven't explored much of the region however, so I really don't know.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald had some pretty cool cities though.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
I played the Japanese version of White, and was personally impressed with the improvements I noticed and the many small details they included. I didn't play HG/SS for long (about an hour at most, to see how it was) after that, and was not impressed. It felt to much like D/P/Pt and after playing B/W it felt like a step back.

While not perfect, B/W are better in every aspect, I think, which is why I bought Black when it came out in Europe and I'll get White next month, and I don't want to get HG/SS. But, hey, opinion.

Rowman

Mar 18, 2011
I have to admit that while I have seen many great threads pop up when visiting EM.com, I have never felt the urge to post anything up until now. I feel obligated to defend Pokemon and would ask you to give it a second chance, at least until you beat the elite four for the first time (no spoilers but that's when the story get's very engaging). While I don't fully understand your outlook, I can see where you're coming from. While the need for such things as HMs becomes secondary I don't think the entirety of the items are lost. Diving has been brought back, if only for late game, with amazing rewards for searching and discovering. Even flash makes a brief comeback, if only as a tm which I think few could argue is a problem considering the issues with flash.

I love pokemon as much or even more so then the next person, and I have enjoyed every entry for better or worse, and I'm happy to say that even the worst has it's charm. While Black and White have both lost a bit of charm the older versions had, it has gained a new golden lining that wasn't there before. Never has crossing a bridge been so exciting, and the music... dear god the music... The only game I can relate the best scores to is possibly Earthbound, and the worst to something from a Mario rpg. So If you are thinking of leaving before the eighth gym, I highly suggest you reconsider and go for the elite four, some of them might be trouble, but I can guarantee it's worth every max revive you put into it (spoiler: don't use all your max revives, you'll need them).

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you TC, I think B/W brought a whole new magic to the series that it has been needing for a while, the fast paced battles with the dynamic camera and pokemon were a very nice improvement that I didn't even know I wanted until it happened. While the story and areas may be nothing new themselves somehow they pull it off so well that I am amazed, I found myself in awe at Skyarrow Bridge even though in terms of the technology and such it is nothing special, yet somehow it still captivated me, same goes for the story, it is nothing new or special but it was pulled off so well that I really enjoyed it more than the stories of many games that I have recently played. The new Pokemon designs are some of the best I have seen.

Don't get me started on how amazing the soundtrack is.

And the lack of needed HMs was very welcome, I enjoyed not having to lug around an HM slave through the main game, the reusable TMs was probably the best thing to happen to the series, EVs apply after battle now and not on leveling up, things just are a lot smoother and modern feeling this time around. This honestly feels like they got the formula perfected this time.

Did I mention how much aftergame content there is? It's amazing how much playtime I can rack up on this.

The ONLY complaint I have of this game is the encounter rate. Everything else was just improved so marvelously that I honestly have my hopes for the series skyrocketed to what they were before, if they can keep the improvement momentum going the next generation should knock me off my feet in awesomeness.

TL;DR I strongly disagree TC.

Also to quote someone from Something Awful: "It's a proven fact that anybody who approaches a Pokémon game or discussion with "1st gen was better/when can I trade over my 1st gens" is a hipster who can't deal with change."

Had to bring it up in this thread as I saw someone saying something along those lines.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the effort to type all of that out, that's been running through my mind all night since I saw this thread at work and was going to type out a response along these lines now that I'm home, not only did you manage to summarize most of my thoughts, but even worded them better than I ever could have. You sir, have made my night. I am glad to see there are still tried and true Pokefans out there other than myself.

EDIT: Also, I can't believe the five Pokemon you mentioned as original are all in my top ten favorites, good show.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I dunno. I mean. I'm enjoying Black but after the E4 and post game stuff I'm kinda burned out on it. I have little left to do other than grinding on everything to fill up my dex or EV train. And I only had it for two weeks.

I do however think it's a huge improvement over the last 2 gens which were pretty meh overall. I'm loving most of the new pokes and am glad they aren't full of useless things, evos or pre-evos (pretty much all of 2nd Gen's)

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
jjboat said:
Saturday moring cartoons used to look like a goddamn disney movie.
Remember, for every Gargoyles or Animaniacs, there were many cheaply animated Hannah-Barbara cash-ins, or in more fortunate cases fairly fluid shows that were relatively simple to draw. Also, since you mentioned Avatar in another post, I'll mention that while it does use some short-cuts like simple lip movements, ultimately that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for those fight scenes (same goes for many an action-y anime).

Famous Anus

Apr 13, 2010
I really like Black- some designs are really silly, but some are awesome, and the story is more interesting than usual.

And the music....

*rubs thigh*