Pokemon Black & White Screens Evolve Into Video

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pokemon Black & White Screens Evolve Into Video

This is what the new Pokemon games will look like in motion - if the games were accompanied by overly enthusiastic commentators, that is.

This past month, we've seen the reveal of the fifth Pokemon generation - and like Charmander to Charizard, it's been an evolution in three stages: First leaked screenshots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99825-Pokemon-Black-White-Announced-for-the-DS] and further details, and finally now the video that you see above.

Okay, the video doesn't show much - just the same footage of the games' female trainer walking around a city over and over again - but it shows something, and it's interesting. This is the first the main handheld games have really experimented with full-3D environments (let alone a city of that size) so if used properly, it could actually be really cool.

The overly excited commentators and presenters dressed as Lucario and Chimchar, though? I could do without them.

(Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/18/pokemon-black-white-footage-from-pokemon-sunday/])

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Wow what a suttle advertising ploy: Screaming Japanese people!

They look like they have never ever seen a television let alone 3d Pokemon

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
It looks interesting actually. I might look into it as it gets closer to release. It is nice to see that they are starting to change things up a little bit.
Damn...those commentators are really annoying though. Almost intolerable if it wasn't for the extremely attractive girl standing in the middle. ;)

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do not like the way the camera is fixed.

They will have to do more to get me to buy this game.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Translated - "I CAME"

There is so many things wrong with that.. they are all wearing silver.. the man on the left looks liek a woman and also the guy from the old quavers advert.. one of them has a Hitler tash.. The woman has freeky eyes.. maybe im nit picking.

Oh, the game looks good.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I wonder what kinda other stuff is on that crazy show...

Hubilub said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do not like the way the camera is fixed.

A right analog stick addon for the camera?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I wonder what kinda other stuff is on that crazy show...

Hubilub said:

A right analog stick addon for the camera?
That would be.... interesting.

Let's see if they do it!

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Anyone else notice the guy with the hitler mustache? Im not saying I hate Japanese culture, but I REALLY don't understand it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wat.
That was... odd. I'm confused. Why were there big pokemon and shouting angry men? And what were they shouting?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Poomanchu745 said:
Anyone else notice the guy with the hitler mustache? Im not saying I hate Japanese culture, but I REALLY don't understand it.
I noticed him. Maybe he's sore because...

Calumon: Jack! Whatever you do, don't mention The War!

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Hubilub said:

The camera angle is what's keeping me from getting excited about this.
Also, they'll probably bring out a lot more crappy Pokemon.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
That set was so full of win.
The enthusiasm doesn't surprise me, Pokemon is a Big Deal in Japan.

That Lucario outfit was actually pretty cool looking...

OT:i like it, i may haft to get used to the camera angle and 3d envirment but, its a cool direction they are taking the series in.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
While it is a huge change, it does give a more...realistic and larger sense to the games, the towers actually looming over you instead of you being able to fit 4 of yourself on the roof

I wonder what they were saying though, it reminds me of the South Park episode Chinpokomon "These American will soon be entised, their childrens bombing the peral harbor" The girl even sounded like the one they had in the show as subliminal messenger to the boys...

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Is it even possible to speak Japanese without sounding either incredibly angry or incredibly excited? If it is, I've never heard it.

Shadedwill

May 7, 2008
That Anthrofox thing is old news. There's already some 34 about it and no I'm not going to look for it

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
I'm glad they seem to be making some bigger changes than they normally do, but I'm not that keen on the look of this new 3D layout. It looks a bit odd. I don't know, maybe I'll warm to it as more info appears.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
No wonder the Japanese are so happy. Everything looks like kids TV! It's mesmerising...
That's because it is kid's TV. The clip was from Pokemon Sunday, a show that is extremely popular with kids in Japan. It's not meant to be entirely serious.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh those CRAZY Japanese!

OT: I dodn't think it looks all THAT impressive, but I don't have a DS, so what do I know?