Pokemon Developer Hiring for a Console Game

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Pokemon Developer Hiring for a Console Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1343/1343762.jpg

New job add reignites Nintendo Switch Pokemon excitement.

Rumors have swirled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168852-Rumor-Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon-Game-Coming-to-Nintendo-Switch] since the Nintendo Switch's reveal, pointing to a Switch Pokemon game, codenamed Pokemon Stars. Now, a job posting is reigniting excitement over these rumors.

According to a new Siliconera [https://jp.indeed.com/%E4%BB%95%E4%BA%8B?jk=9968e0a456d331fb]), Pokemon developer Game Freak is seeking out temporary employees to "work on the development of a globally popular RPG."

I wonder what that could be!

"We'll have you work on the production an RPG game that is popular on a global scale," the ad reads, adding that it will be a console platform and that "it's a title that just about anyone knows, a proposal that could be your future career."

In a separate ad, Game Freak says they're seeking modelers and specifically mentions a requirement for someone with experience in creating character models "at the level of Wii U and PS Vita."

What do you think about the possibility of a Pokemon game on the Nintendo Switch? Sound off in the comments.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Could be the long-awaited sequel to Tembo the Badass Elephant?! No, going by the description, it is not.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
On the one hand, don't count your Pokemon before they hatch. On the other hand, the job postings make it hard to think of anything else it could be. Does Game Freak make anything other than Pok?mon?

But I'm not surprised to see a Switch Pokemon game. It seems pretty obvious that the 3DS doesn't have a future with the Switch around. Not unless the Switch flops as hard as the Wii U.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Sounds like a Pokemon game for the Switch. And even if it's not, it's an easy bet that such a title is coming; all Nintendo handheld will eventually get a Pokemon game.

Excluding the Virtual Boy.

I do wonder what feature(s) they intend to add when the portable is the same as the stationary console.

Or maybe their primary focus will be to ensure that the battery isn't drained quickly while simultaneously looking the part.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I hope the next pokemon game, if this is it or not, changes the style a little.
Do a Zelda, go open world, new style of leveling/strength system and no particular order on the gyms. Battlesystem more active, like controlling the pokemon yourself and having a proper smashbros or Bayonetta battle.

Takuanuva

Jun 12, 2011
Guffe said:
Do a Zelda, go open world, new style of leveling/strength system and no particular order on the gyms. Battlesystem more active, like controlling the pokemon yourself and having a proper smashbros or Bayonetta battle.
Doubtful that would ever happen, seeing how that'd be basically a completely different game with systems that would most likely be so incompatible with the previous games that they'd have to remove the ability to transfer Pokemon over from the earlier games, which is something they had going ever since Gen3, in addition to alienating all the fans of the franchise who enjoyed it being a turn-based RPG...which is probably almost all of them. No chances for that to be the next mainline game, possibly spinoff, but that already sorta exists in Pokken. [sub]Also that is hardly 'changing the style a little'.[/sub]

A Switch version of Sun/Moon is the most likely project to come out of this. Though odds are that porting it over would not be as simple as just recompiling the code, seeing how every game from Gen4 onward had a second screen to work with, which meant they could dedicate one of the screens completely to the battles without cluttering it up with HUD elements. The bigger resolution would most likely help with that, but unless you are willing to turn the Switch vertically and partition the screen to pretend you still have two of them, the battle UI is going to get a rather major redesign regardless.

I rather doubt it's going to be a Gen8 game. There's usually a 3-year gap between Pokemon generations, and with Sun/Moon having been released near the end of the last year, Game Freak would have to be expecting the Switch game to take them an extraordinarily long time, since I doubt mainline Pokemon games are the ONLY thing they ever work on anymore. Even if that were the case though, porting S/M over to Switch would still make sense, seeing how it's an easier project that they could profit from which would also let them get comfortable with the features and limitations of the Switch without having to make a whole game essentially from scratch.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Takuanuva said:
Guffe said:
[sub]Also that is hardly 'changing the style a little'.[/sub]
You're quite right on that one when I re-read my own text ^_^'