Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
Who is thinking of getting one of them. I'm getting Heart Gold tomorrow. What are your thoughts on them?

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
SoulSilver is due in my mailbox tomorrow at noon-ish.

Yay! Looking forward to it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Let's see...Take the finely tuned and perfected gameplay of Diamond and Pearl, with the massive games that were Gold and Silver, add in the Battle Frontier...

You pretty much get the best Pokemon game ever.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
Remakes of the original Gold and Silver with Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Pearl and Diamond aspects added in along with a Tamagotchi and some other things being bundled into this release.

I never did understand the reason why they ALWAYS release these games in twos. I mean, it was a novelty for Red/Blue because you had to have both to get all 150 but they still think we are all made of money and will do this all the damn time.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Let's see...Take the finely tuned and perfected gameplay of Diamond and Pearl, with the massive games that were Gold and Silver, add in the Battle Frontier...

Add the introduction of the "pokewalker", and you got a recipe for disaster!

I originally planed to order it, but I decided not to, because I felt somewhat odd inside, like HG/SS would not live up to it's predecesors, GSC. Now, don't get me wrong, GSC was the absolute BEST pokemon game gen ever, and if someone disagrees, you're perfectly in your right to slug 'em one in the balls, but I absolutely HATED FR/LG...

I'm waiting to see if it's worth it after the buzz is gone, fearing for another disapointment...

B4D 9R4MM3R

May 15, 2008
Of course. It's been a while since I've been through Johto.

Looking forwards to battling Red again.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
De Ronneman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

The introduction of the totally optional thing that the game in no way forces you to use, because everything you can catch in it is available without the use of the Pokewalker?

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Getting Soulsilver tomorrow after I finish lectures. There goes my weekend...

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
De Ronneman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

The introduction of the totally optional thing that the game in no way forces you to use, because everything you can catch in it is available without the use of the Pokewalker?
Yes, exactly that thing.

I'm going to use it. Hell, if you're already walking somewhere, why not take the Pokéwalker with you?

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Chapper said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
De Ronneman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Yes, exactly that thing.

I'm going to use it. Hell, if you're already walking somewhere, why not take the Pokéwalker with you?
Damn right. I already got over 20,000 steps on it.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
Kinichie said:
Remakes of the original Gold and Silver with Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Pearl and Diamond aspects added in along with a Tamagotchi and some other things being bundled into this release.

I never did understand the reason why they ALWAYS release these games in twos. I mean, it was a novelty for Red/Blue because you had to have both to get all 150 but they still think we are all made of money and will do this all the damn time.
It's because they know that for someone to catch every pokemon, 2 games need to be sold, which is why they have some stuff in each game that the other doesn't have.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
yankeefan19 said:
It's because they know that for someone to catch every pokemon, 2 games need to be sold, which is why they have some stuff in each game that the other doesn't have.
If I recall correctly, you couldn't get 15 of the pokemon on Red and Blue without trading. 11 couldn't be caught or eventually evolved and 4 couldn't get to their 3rd form without trading.

I still find this system ridiculous for people who don't have friends with the games.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Kinichie said:
I don't think you were supposed to buy both, but trade with someone who has the other one. That's what I did anyway, I never bought both games and still finished a few pokedexs.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
yankeefan19 said:
Kinichie said:

I'm actually happy that the games are released in two's. My brother and I always get different games and it adds more multiplayer between us - working together to get all of them.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Womplord said:
Who is thinking of getting one of them. I'm getting Heart Gold tomorrow. What are your thoughts on them?
I got it today, can't wait to play it tomorrow. I got soul silver, but it's freaking late and I was over at a friend's house. Can't wait to explore Johto tomorrow morning. Gold and the Silver were the last ones I really really liked. It's going to be awesome. And i can take my pokemon for walks, woooo!

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
D4zZ said:
Kinichie said:
I don't think you were supposed to buy both, but trade with someone who has the other one. That's what I did anyway, I never bought both games and still finished a few pokedexs.
I got both Blue and Red, though never played Red because my brother wanted it. Same with Gold and Silver so I never played Silver. Only ever finished one pokedex, which is Blue and all the pokemon I caught on that game are lost forever as the internal battery on my Gold died around 2003? (I had two gameboys, traded some of my pokemon from Blue to Gold). I did also get Yellow, Crystal and Ruby, but not bought another since Ruby.

Oct 19, 2008
Bought Heart Gold today.
So far it's really fun.

Can't wait to delve into the world further, because it seems there's alot more to explore the second time around.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
De Ronneman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

It's optional, but then, why bother? I like the idea, but it just sounds obsolete. It fits in the whole "Nintendo: exercise" routine, but then, who cares.

"You walk anyway, so take it with you." is not viable, because I go places I don't want to be seen with a pokeball clipped to my belt...
Though, that's partialy my fault.

Also, Where else are you going to catch this [http://serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-pkmn.shtml] list of pokemon? You can trade them, sure, but you'dd need friends for that.

Or 2 Dss...

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
De Ronneman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
De Ronneman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

It's optional, but then, why bother? I like the idea, but it just sounds obsolete. It fits in the whole "Nintendo: exercise" routine, but then, who cares.

"You walk anyway, so take it with you." is not viable, because I go places I don't want to be seen with a pokeball clipped to my belt...

Also, Where else are you going to catch this [http://serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-pkmn.shtml] list of pokemon? You can trade them, sure, but you'dd need friends for that.

Or 2 Dss...
TO THE WI-FI!

Anyway, its actually quite easy to use. And it's VERY small, leave your shirt untucked, and it'll be covered and no one will see it.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
De Ronneman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
De Ronneman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Or 2 Dss...
TO THE WI-FI!

Anyway, its actually quite easy to use. And it's VERY small, leave your shirt untucked, and it'll be covered and no one will see it.
Good idea, the shirt thing, srsly, no joke.

Another thing that's no joke is this: I cannot connect to WiFi anymore. My platinum AS WEL as my Pearl don't let me connect long enough. I have a green go-ahead light for 23 seconds(or something) and then I'm kicked of, usually somewhere in the middle of trading or looking for one over the WTC.
Also, to get one over WTC(the most usefull method), you must've at least SEEN it, which is somewhat anoying at times, since there's some buggers I have no chance ever seeing, say Mew or Deoxys...