Pokemon: Should we be able to "Catch 'em All"?

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Pokemon: The best MMORPG That has yet to be made.

All Regions, All Pokemon.

On-topic: I bought a gamshark just to get event pokemon's since I felt cheated out of them.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
What's deceptive about the pokemon games is that the cartridges can actually hold the data to allow all the pokemon be in the games.

My brother discovered that you can hold all the classic pokemon with his game shark long before (Emerald, I think) popped out which was backwards compatible or some garbage with the old games.
By cheating, he was able to get an extra 250 pokemon that were simply 'not programmed' as a random encounter. Of which, likely isn't hard.
I don't imagine there's a true manner of balance to consider either.

What's worse is these two color-alternatives are identical games. No alternate paths, no alternate routes and minimal changes between story.
(Team Magma or Team Liquid or some garbage. Ooooh!)

Nintendo has a huge monopoly in marketing to stupid children and their unaware/disinterested parents.

What they should really have is a Side-view fighter of Pokemon or something (or similar to Smash Bros) with exclusively Pokemon. Your player = your Wii-man.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Completionists always baffle me. I know it seems closed minded, but spending the amount of time and effort necessary to even have the first 151, and receive virtually nothing for it seems absolutely pointless to me.

The focus of pokemon has been, and always will be, raising a team and battling. It's not an overly elaborate stamp collecting sim.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
werewolfsfury said:
omega 616 said:
Leemaster777 said:
(aside from trade evolution)
No offence but fuck that! I hate that trade evolution crap, during the first game I couldn't get all the trade evolutions or colour exclusive pokemon 'cos I had nobody to trade with.

Just make one colour and put all the pokemon on it.

Never saw ash wanting to evolve his graveler so he traded it to Brock then traded it back again! Or "I can't catch magmar" ... "why" ... "I am in the blue universe" ...

I want a game with every pokemon on it and I can evolve them without this trading crap. Also getting rid of 99% of the stones (you know, thunder stone etc) would be good, the exception being eevee 'cos it needs one.
but that would get rid of any reason to trade and make the game to easy.
Well no, how does finding somebody who has the opposite game make the game harder. Also when I used to play you had to have a cable to trade, so you had to not only find a person with the opposite game but hope one of you had a cable with them and the pokemon you wanted.

That isn't adding difficulty it's finding a needle in a hey stack.

Why does trading even need to be in the game? Other than getting pokemon with different stats whats the point? And if there is a pokemon with an (or more than one) optimum build why do anything other than that/one of them?

It wouldn't make the game more or less difficult, it's like saying pre-order bonuses from different stores are ok (like order from gamestop and you get one thing or order from wal mart and get something else).

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Rolling 20 said:
Re-boot the whole series to have only the original 151.... Let everyone catch them all... Simple as that. Pokemon has gotten ridiculous recently with the mind-numbingly ridiculous amount of pokemon available.... There should be 151, everything else I consider non-canon.

*Raises blast shield and cringes*
They already did that. It was called Fire Red and Leaf Green. It was literally an updated remake of Red and Blue.

OT: I'm still waiting on them to make a proper installment for a console. The gameboy games are nice, but with the tech available today I think they could do it and do it extremely well. Not like those "sort of" pokemon rpg's they did for the gamecube where you could only catch them from trainer battles.

They've got little incentive though, I imagine it's far cheaper to develop for the DS with it's lower graphics capacity and with an art budget that only requires sprite work.

They also need to make that EV stat bullshit visible in the games. I shouldn't have to hack the game to get the specific number stats for my team.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I think this has been addressed. I believe Nintendo has officially declared that it will NEVER release the Pokemon "uber-game," because that would pretty much wrap up the series and you'd never really be able to top it or even release something of equal merit. That's how they're getting by -- releasing games of almost exactly equal merit to the ones before (yes, they really are about the same, we're just jaded). They'd end the franchise if they actually made a game where you can "catch 'em all," that strings together all the worlds/continents/whatever and makes a comprehensive game from Red/Blue through Black/White.

I'm just peeved that Zorua and Zoroark are impossible to get in America -- wasn't the only event where you could get them, in Japan? Really, now? (I could be wrong; let me know if I am.)

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
omega 616 said:
werewolfsfury said:
omega 616 said:
Leemaster777 said:
(aside from trade evolution)
No offence but fuck that! I hate that trade evolution crap, during the first game I couldn't get all the trade evolutions or colour exclusive pokemon 'cos I had nobody to trade with.

Just make one colour and put all the pokemon on it.

Never saw ash wanting to evolve his graveler so he traded it to Brock then traded it back again! Or "I can't catch magmar" ... "why" ... "I am in the blue universe" ...

I want a game with every pokemon on it and I can evolve them without this trading crap. Also getting rid of 99% of the stones (you know, thunder stone etc) would be good, the exception being eevee 'cos it needs one.
but that would get rid of any reason to trade and make the game to easy.
Well no, how does finding somebody who has the opposite game make the game harder. Also when I used to play you had to have a cable to trade, so you had to not only find a person with the opposite game but hope one of you had a cable with them and the pokemon you wanted.

That isn't adding difficulty it's finding a needle in a hey stack.

Why does trading even need to be in the game? Other than getting pokemon with different stats whats the point? And if there is a pokemon with an (or more than one) optimum build why do anything other than that/one of them?

It wouldn't make the game more or less difficult, it's like saying pre-order bonuses from different stores are ok (like order from gamestop and you get one thing or order from wal mart and get something else).
trading was put in to promote connectivity besides just battling and it may have made some kids get up a look for someone to play with.also:

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Aurora Firestorm said:
I think this has been addressed. I believe Nintendo has officially declared that it will NEVER release the Pokemon "uber-game," because that would pretty much wrap up the series and you'd never really be able to top it or even release something of equal merit. That's how they're getting by -- releasing games of almost exactly equal merit to the ones before (yes, they really are about the same, we're just jaded). They'd end the franchise if they actually made a game where you can "catch 'em all," that strings together all the worlds/continents/whatever and makes a comprehensive game from Red/Blue through Black/White.

I'm just peeved that Zorua and Zoroark are impossible to get in America -- wasn't the only event where you could get them, in Japan? Really, now? (I could be wrong; let me know if I am.)
you kind of are, the zorua event involved getting an event celebi from gamestop and sending it over to black and/or white and to get zoroark you had to get 1 of three shiny event legendary beasts (suicune/entei/raikou) in SS/HG and doing the same as the zorua event.it's a shame that you missed them they gave out the beasts about six times over both wifi and at game stop